Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

dura ace freehub sounds uneven

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-04, 10:46 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts

I have a pair of dura ace/open pro wheels that I have been riding on lately, and they are pretty nice and light, but one of the things that has been bugging me is that freehub is making uneven sounds depending on the position it is in the rotation, so when it is spinning it is like click, click, CLICK, CLICK, click, click...you get the idea.

The hubs are pretty new, with only about 300-400 miles on them. (got them late fall, and haven't been riding enough ) Since they have such low milage, I am reluctant to take apart the freehub. About 30 minutes ago, I repacked the bearings in the rear, but it didn't solve the problem.

Also, has anybody heard of dura-ace hubs coming from the factory w/o grease? Mine had plenty of grease in it, but has anyone heard any more about that rumor?
Old 02-07-04, 03:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
So how does it ride? My advice is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Every new hub (and headset for that matter) that I've ever opened up came with lots less grease than I use when I overhaul a hub. I suspect I must be using too much because I've never heard of wholesale hub failures due to inadequate grease.
Old 02-07-04, 06:40 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
it rides fine, butttttt...I'm wondering if the uneven sound is a signal that something IS wrong.

How hard is it to take apart a freehub? I have all the tools (I think). I read the thing on the parktool website, doesn't seem TOO hard. has anybody here actually done it?
Old 02-07-04, 07:21 PM
BikerRyan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The uneven sound is most likely due to the inner toothed area of the freehub (where the pawls engage when you pedal and skip across when you coast) being slightly less than perfectly round. It is no big deal, in fact, a lot of shimano hubs do it. Get out there and ride.

-Ryan