Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rock Shox Duke 02 XC 80mm

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 11:57 PM
VegasCyclist
suitcase of courage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well here is my problem, and I'm not sure what do to

anyhow I found out one day that my susp shock was not holding air, after ordering some replacement parts (and installing them myself) I found out why the fork was losing air. The bushings on the lower part of the shock (where the stanchions slide into) does not seat so that when the fork is aired up the bushing pops out. This I realized later, was the reason I was losing air in the first place, the bushing was not fully seated, and was slowly leaking air... so my question is, has anyone istalled these bushing before? I pressed them in as best I could so they were flush, however do they need to be preped before pressing? or is there something I am missing/doing wrong.....

anyhow I'm on a loner susp fork untill I can figure out how to fix mine
Old 12-18-03, 08:22 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Rockshox tool (That looks like it came from an adult book store) for inserting bushings. It has spacers that put the bushings at the correct height. I don't have the spacers for a Duke (I am not sure if this thing will work on a Duke) By the time my customers realize they have worn out the bushings the stanchions are shot so I usually only do basic cleaning and oil change.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 12-18-03, 09:30 PM
VegasCyclist
suitcase of courage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
I have a Rockshox tool (That looks like it came from an adult book store) for inserting bushings. It has spacers that put the bushings at the correct height. I don't have the spacers for a Duke (I am not sure if this thing will work on a Duke) By the time my customers realize they have worn out the bushings the stanchions are shot so I usually only do basic cleaning and oil change.
thanks for the reply rev chuck... I'm guessing I am not pressing the bushing in correctly, however it appears they should be flush but who knows, at the shop I work at we don't have the specific tool for it, so I'm almost out of options (except paying rock shox, to fix it) anyhow the susp fork is only about 1.5 years old
Old 12-19-03, 09:38 PM
BikerRyan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I am reading the question wrong but "bushings" do not hold the air in the fork. O rings hold the air in and if you have a knicked o ring then your fork will lose air. To help keep from knicking them during assembly be sure to coat them with Rock Shox Red Rum when sliding the air shaft into the upper tubes. The other thing that could cause leaks is a scratched upper tube on the inside. If there is a deep scratch on the inside of your upper tubes (such as if when cleaning them out your screwdriver you used to push the rag through slipped and scratched the inner face of the upper tube) the o rings cannot completely seal the air chamber and in this case the problem is only repairable with a new set of uppers (fork crown, steerer, and upper tubes). IF you cannot figure it out your only choice is to send it in to either Rock Shox or to QBP as they do fork service now as well. Good luck.

-Ryan
Old 12-20-03, 09:23 PM
VegasCyclist
suitcase of courage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikerRyan
Maybe I am reading the question wrong but "bushings" do not hold the air in the fork. O rings hold the air in and if you have a knicked o ring then your fork will lose air. To help keep from knicking them during assembly be sure to coat them with Rock Shox Red Rum when sliding the air shaft into the upper tubes. The other thing that could cause leaks is a scratched upper tube on the inside. If there is a deep scratch on the inside of your upper tubes (such as if when cleaning them out your screwdriver you used to push the rag through slipped and scratched the inner face of the upper tube) the o rings cannot completely seal the air chamber and in this case the problem is only repairable with a new set of uppers (fork crown, steerer, and upper tubes). IF you cannot figure it out your only choice is to send it in to either Rock Shox or to QBP as they do fork service now as well. Good luck.

-Ryan
well after assembly I tried to air up the fork and the bushing actually pops out so it is not seating like it should, otherwise the o rings are brand new as I also got a new HC2 part from QBP.... anyone know the labor rates from rockshox or QBP?