Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo Prodigy(Steel Frames)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 05:28 PM
neilthemeal

Bikes: Wanta Kompact steel w/ carbon stays

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone ridden a newer Cervelo Prodigy? Is the flex so bad you notice it often? If so how big are you? Also if you have experience with a newer steel frame and older carbon(1995-1999) what would you suggest as a better frame to build with new components, newer steel or older carbon fiber?
Old 05-18-04, 06:32 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you assume the Cervelo would be flexy?
Old 05-18-04, 08:04 PM
neilthemeal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most steel frames are said to have some amount of flex, I've heard due to newer tube shaping techniques that it has become less common but still noticable under sprints and other hard outputs of power. A couple of reviews I read for steel frames mentioned some amount of flex, others said it wasn't noticable. I assume because steel is so giving on roads there must be a negative(weight is hardly a negative in higher end steel bikes e.g.Prodigy=18lbs).
Old 05-18-04, 08:26 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
hope I don't get in trouble for this.....again:

Oooooo bay.......Cervelo Superprodigy, my dream bike.
These reviews are a couple of years old, and are for the Prodigy:
https://www.roadbikereview.com/2002+R...1_4229crx.aspx

And let's not forget that Cervelo have 5 frames that have "beaten" the "rigorous" EFBe test in Germany.

I've read nothin' but good stuff about these bikes (exalt, exalt).

Steel Cervelo owners stay that the frames are stiff enough.
Old 05-18-04, 08:49 PM
tourist
Closet Bike-a-holic

Bikes: '02 Cannondale R700 Road Warrior

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden this bike on an extended test ride. 5 miles plus and I'm as big a rider as they come. I could feel a little flex on climb and less on sprint. Overall my impression of the frame is smooth. Not as quick as carbon or Ti, but very smooth. I have heard some service compliants about Cervelo, but I have never owned one so I can not speak to those directly. But the frame is worthy of a build up from my limited experience.

www.friscocycling.com

www.hopefellowship.net
Old 05-18-04, 09:43 PM
neilthemeal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the posts, I had been looking at Roadbikereview but I viewed the 2001 and older bikes and they had a few more complaints of flex but all in all you guys are right(I'm a pretty small guy so maybe my worries of stiffness are unfounded), the bike seems to be a great buy, I guess the only problem now is finding a job and a 54 cm frame to purchase. Hopefully the first before the second.
Old 05-18-04, 09:58 PM
BikerRyan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a 2002 model prodigy that I have built from the frame up with Campy, Alpha Q, and Deda components. I love the thing and it is plenty stiff. I would say it is just as stiff as any aluminum bike I have ever owned only more forgiving on the rough stuff. I am 145 pounds and I race the bike frequently. It has never disappointed me even though I am sure I have disappointed it.

-Ryan
Old 05-18-04, 10:44 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All frames flex. Things that don't flex, break. Instead of the stresses being distributed, the get concentrated and *whammo* - you got yourself a cracked frame.

Steel is plenty stiff enough, and it's got nothing to do with any funky shaping to the tubes - that's largely cosmetic. Theres no reason why you won't enjoy the Prodigy or any other steel bike for that matter.
Old 05-19-04, 08:57 AM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put lots of miles (15,000+) on a 58cm 2001 Prodigy frame and have nothing but good things to say about it. It's fairly light and plenty stiff for me at 6'1" 160 pounds. I rode it everywhere in every weather condition from rain storms to snow.

While doing TT intervals, my average power was in excess of 300 watts and the frame didn't exhibit any unwanted flex. Same can be said for 1000+ watt sprint workouts. No issues with flex.
Old 05-19-04, 09:49 AM
F1_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilthemeal
Most steel frames are said to have some amount of flex
The importance of this as a negative factor is frequently overstated. I've owned the full stiffness range:

wet noodle: '88 Vitus 969(?) aluminum
oh so sweet: Serotta 7-11 Team Issue (steel, unknown tubing...)
stiff, overweight and lifeless: '91 Specialized Allez Epic (carbon fibre, made by Giant in the days when lots of carbon was the norm)

My favourite of the bunch? The Serotta. Well designed steel flexes a bit for comfort but delivers a bit of a snap when you're out of the saddle.

The Epic feels like a turd when climbing... stiffness isn't the universal solution it's made to be.

The one material omission from my list is titanium. That will be the material of choice for my next bike later this year

Oh yeah... my next frame would have been a Cervelo except I can get a better deal on my club's bike sponsor. I have the highest respect for Cervelo and almost got the Soloist Team. I'd now lean towards the Prodigy though because I don't like the proprietary seatpost in the Soloist and I think the blade-shaped down tube is too stiff for my tastes.
Old 05-20-04, 01:14 AM
neilthemeal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Thylacine,
I hate to be picky but your comment about shape of tubes not effecting stiffness jumped back into my head when I was reading this article, I'm 3/4 sure I'm going to pick up a Prodigy in about a month so I was doing research. I suppose you assumed by tube shape I meant whacky curves but either way, heres some info on the Cervelo Prodigy and it's "biconically ovalised" tubes. The links at the bottom, its old info but interesting.
"Cervelo will also supply its lightweight Prodigy steel frameset for the CSC riders to use in the Classics or for training. Vroomen said the investment in steel "has been awesome for us. We don't mind holding on to tradition and when everyone else was getting out of steel, we decided to use it for new bikes". The steel frames are made from Columbus Thermacrom and feature horizontally ovalised top tubes and bi-conically ovalised down tubes for increased stiffness. Cervelo will also supply some P2T track frames, including one destined for Hamilton who may be doing some fixed gear riding in the off-season."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2002...ke/sponsorship
Old 05-20-04, 01:51 AM
RacerX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tube shaping and various diameters does affect stiffness in steel, ti and aluminum. I don't know how it affects carbon.

Titanium gets stronger and stiffer the more you bend or "cold work" it. The new generation of steel is also impressive compared to older stuff. The best of both worlds is still titanium, imo.
Old 05-20-04, 05:25 AM
don d.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Thylacine
All frames flex. Things that don't flex, break. Instead of the stresses being distributed, the get concentrated and *whammo* - you got yourself a cracked frame.

Steel is plenty stiff enough, and it's got nothing to do with any funky shaping to the tubes - that's largely cosmetic.
..... .....

Old 05-20-04, 07:12 AM
nutbag

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
uh oh