Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo Caledonia-5 vs Canyon Endurace

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 12:32 PM
jespern

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in between these two bikes, have the fit pretty much dialed in for both, just need to pull the trigger. Cal5 is slightly more expensive and a bit more aggressive (but fitter says he can make it identical to my old Roubaix 2012 comp in terms of comfort with spacers and stem). Both Ultegra Di2, carbon wheels, etc.

My riding style is definitely more on the endurance side, I prefer longer rides with more comfort, and basically never race. I've heard the build quality on Canyons have gone downhill the last couple of years, so don't mind spending a bit more on the Cervelo.

I really like the look of both, but the Canyon with its integrated handlebars looks really clean, but I guess you sacrifice the adjustability of the Cal5.

I'm so torn. Help me pick?
Old 04-22-24, 12:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Liked 4,951 Times in 3,061 Posts
Originally Posted by jespern
I'm in between these two bikes, have the fit pretty much dialed in for both, just need to pull the trigger. Cal5 is slightly more expensive and a bit more aggressive (but fitter says he can make it identical to my old Roubaix 2012 comp in terms of comfort with spacers and stem). Both Ultegra Di2, carbon wheels, etc.

My riding style is definitely more on the endurance side, I prefer longer rides with more comfort, and basically never race. I've heard the build quality on Canyons have gone downhill the last couple of years, so don't mind spending a bit more on the Cervelo.

I really like the look of both, but the Canyon with its integrated handlebars looks really clean, but I guess you sacrifice the adjustability of the Cal5.

I'm so torn. Help me pick?
I have had no issues with the build quality of my 2022 Endurace. It’s a really nice ride and very comfortable, especially with the split carbon seatpost. The integrated carbon bar/stem is also very comfortable. Great build spec for the price too.
Old 04-22-24, 01:22 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I’m going through the same thing. Looking for your replies.
Old 04-22-24, 01:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,852 Times in 3,344 Posts
Stack is higher on the Caledonia than it is the Endurace. So if you are wanting it to be a more upright fit like your Roubaix is, that's the bike that you have a chance of easily getting that position.

Only a few road bikes and gravel bikes have frame stack that matches or exceeds what the Roubaix has. But if you don't have to have that very relaxed fit, then you might find the Canyon more enjoyable.

Any particular model of road bike can only reliably give you one of the three fit positions. Some bikes are made for a relaxed position and some bikes a very aggressive and aero position. Many are made for a moderate position in between. And both the bikes you picked are what I'd say is in between the two extremes, with the Caledonia being a tad closer to the Roubaix's fit.
Old 04-22-24, 02:35 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 458 Posts
How is your fitter going to fit you on the Endurace when Canyon doesn't even sell the integrated bars in different sizes? That bike uses the proprietary CP0018 integrated bars. Canyon USA refuses to sell this separately from their bikes, so whatever stem length came with your bike by default is the one you will ride forever, whether you like it or not. Unless your fitter tells you that you just coincidentally happen to be matched with the default stem length, the bike is an unfittable piece of junk.

Needless to say get the Cervelo.
Likes For Yan:
Old 04-22-24, 06:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked 5,545 Times in 2,804 Posts
Another vote for the Cervelo and the shop help that comes with it. Ordering a bike is fine for people who know exactly what they want. Asking questions indicates it might not be your best choice.
Old 04-25-24, 06:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
Both fine bikes but a guy I know has the Caledonia and cannot say enough good things about it.

It's not like you could make a bad choice here .... but the look of the integrated stem is only looks, and after 75 miles you won't be looking at it ... so if it isn't adjusted (from the factory) to fit your precise needs .....
Old 04-26-24, 07:44 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 198 Posts
Can't compare them because I'm not familiar with the Canyon, but I have a Caledonia (with mechanical ultegra) that I really enjoy. It's comfortable to ride, handles well, and has been trouble-free in the nearly three years I've owned it. I highly recommend it (but might recommend the Canyon too if I knew more about it).
Old 04-26-24, 09:31 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 369 Posts
I don't have much experience with Cervelo and my Endurace is an older model(2020,) but I've had good luck with Canyon so far. I've got several different Canyons(road, gravel, &mtb) from a 2019 to a 2024. As far as quality, I've never had any issues...my brand new Ultimate SLX was fine out of the box.

As far as adjustability, the cockpit is fine as long as the stem length is correct for you...if not, things could get interesting. IDK if the new Endurace is the same, but my Ultimate has the CP018 bars. You can adjust the bar width on it(I have mine at the narrowest adjustment.) You can also adjust the stem height without cutting the steerer or taking the cables loose.
Old 04-27-24, 03:48 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider

As far as adjustability, the cockpit is fine as long as the stem length is correct for you...if not, things could get interesting. IDK if the new Endurace is the same, but my Ultimate has the CP018 bars. You can adjust the bar width on it(I have mine at the narrowest adjustment.) You can also adjust the stem height without cutting the steerer or taking the cables loose.
The new Endurace has the same adjustable width/height bars and they don’t appear to be in stock at this point as a separate item in different stem lengths. So that would be a major issue for anyone requiring a different length stem. I would speak to Canyon in that case to see if there are any options. My 2022 Endurace has the older one-piece carbon bar/stem, which I find very comfortable.
Old 04-27-24, 05:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The new Endurace has the same adjustable width/height bars and they don’t appear to be in stock at this point as a separate item in different stem lengths. So that would be a major issue for anyone requiring a different length stem. I would speak to Canyon in that case to see if there are any options. My 2022 Endurace has the older one-piece carbon bar/stem, which I find very comfortable.
Yeah, I'm tempted to just pretend I want to buy one, but express my concern using the Chat function they have to see how they respond.
Old 04-27-24, 05:37 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, I'm tempted to just pretend I want to buy one, but express my concern using the Chat function they have to see how they respond.
That would make sense if you were actually thinking about buying one.

The parts certainly exist in 70-120 mm stem lengths as fitted to the various different frame sizes. What is unclear is their availability as a separate item, which I would imagine varies depending on region and supply.

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-27-24 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-06-24, 09:16 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 749 Posts
The only thing I can add is that my wife has a Canyon Ultimate and I have a Canyon Aeroad and we both love them. Possibly the best bikes we've ever owned. FWIW I have 6 bikes and she has 3 at this point. I've been riding for about 40 yrs and my Aeroad is my favorite bike ever.
Old 05-06-24, 09:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 442 Posts
I'd go for the Cervelo, but this is just my own personal opinion.

I find Canyon to be ''blehhhh'' in general.
Old 05-06-24, 09:27 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eduskator
I'd go for the Cervelo, but this is just my own personal opinion.

I find Canyon to be ''blehhhh'' in general.
Is that based on how they actually ride and perform or just your brand perception, which probably varies by region? In Europe both Canyon and Cervelo are well respected brands, with nothing much between them.
Old 05-06-24, 11:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked 5,545 Times in 2,804 Posts
Wonder which the OP ended up with?