Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Moots Baxter vs Routt 45

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Moots Baxter vs Routt 45

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 08:15 PM
ADAP7IVE

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Blue "mamachari" 3-speed, Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moots Baxter vs Routt 45

These two bikes seem really close in terms of intended function according to the marketing, but there's not much out there in terms of rider experiences. Both seem made for bikepacking and gravel, but maybe different extremes or styles? The Routt 45 more road-leaning in geometry and tire clearance, the Baxter more MTB and geared toward really gnarly roads and paths. Both suitable as an all-rounder.

If you want some context beyond the general bike vs bike discussion, I'm actively looking at these two to build. I'm short on space and looking for a single bike for the foreseeable future, or at least a frame I can abuse and rebuild over years as needs evolve. Partner gave the okay to get a really nice rig for my travels, so at this stage getting into the details between two close builds is interesting and helpful.

The riding I'll be doing is long rides and lightweight bikepacking trips in Japan. I'll mostly be staying out of big cities, so think rough paved road, gravel, and some serious offroad sections of the beaten path, and lots of rain and elevation changes through mountains. Speed is not a great concern, but I'm trying to balance a stable loaded ride with a fun unloaded one.

What do you think?

PS Please keep responses focused on the bike comparison, this is for fun and to help me and others understand the options. And forum posts too often get sidetracked by things like "why even get something so expensive etc etc" or other unconstructive criticism. Thanks!
Old 06-01-19, 05:16 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Long rides and lightweight bikepacking:- I'd go the 45 as like you mentioned its more road-leaning but still has what I think would be enough tyre clearance (700x45mm / 650b x 50) for your riding.

I'd definitely be leaning toward a 2x build for your purposes, allowing for tighter gearing. The Baxter only clears a max 38t in a 2x config. The 45; a road-compact.

Baxter also has a pretty stall stack height which while ok when just rambling around, personally I'd prefer the option to be able to get a bit low on the bike for stretches.

I remember looking hard at the 52cm 45 when shopping for ti frames as it was one out of maybe 3 or 4 production frames out there with ideal geo for my proportions.

Should be a lot of fun choosing components and building one up.
Old 06-01-19, 05:54 AM
ADAP7IVE

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Blue "mamachari" 3-speed, Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Long rides and lightweight bikepacking:- I'd go the 45 as like you mentioned its more road-leaning but still has what I think would be enough tyre clearance (700x45mm / 650b x 50) for your riding.

I'd definitely be leaning toward a 2x build for your purposes, allowing for tighter gearing. The Baxter only clears a max 38t in a 2x config. The 45; a road-compact.

Baxter also has a pretty stall stack height which while ok when just rambling around, personally I'd prefer the option to be able to get a bit low on the bike for stretches.

I remember looking hard at the 52cm 45 when shopping for ti frames as it was one out of maybe 3 or 4 production frames out there with ideal geo for my proportions.

Should be a lot of fun choosing components and building one up.
Thanks for that detailed response. I hadn't considered going 650b x 50, but the bike can almost certainly take it. That would give me more than enough cushion; my current bike is a hardtail and runs 27.5 x 2.0, is quite comfy in that regard. It's just a little too far in reach with too few hand positions for anything over about 25 kilometers.

I read in one review that the Baxter -barely- cleared a 40 on a Force 1 build, but I suppose we want some room for mud too on a bike like that. Main advantage I can see to the Baxter is the 29er clearance, more able to roll over anything. I have to ask how much of what I ride is going to call for that kind of wheel/tire.
Old 06-01-19, 11:38 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Yeah, a 29er tyre is something to think about I suppose. Have been on 650b x 48-2.1" for sometime and only recently started experimenting with 700c and tyres.
At the moment have a 35mm to start with. Mainly because read quite a bit mentioning once you get to 38mm and over, you start feeling a bit of the cumbersome nature of a tyre that big.
Still I'd like to try perhaps a lighter weight 42-45mm just to see how it feels mainly for long stretches at speed on the bike.