Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Origin8: Opinions, reviews, thoughts?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Origin8: Opinions, reviews, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 12:19 PM
fepu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
Any input on this company would be great. How are the parts as far as quality, price? Are they a "lame" brand?
Hi,

I got an Origin8 Fix8 bike 6 months ago, using it as single speed. The only two complains I have are about rust and tires: it rusts more than my other bike, specially on bolts, which suggests that the bike is a mix of metals with different electric potentials. Regarding tires, I strongly suggest to change them as soon as you buy the bike, the ones that come with it are tender as chicken breasts and you'll be doomed to get a flat a week until you realize that... Also, the fork is very hard on wrists, if you're not used to high tensile steel.

For the rest, I enjoy the deep rims!

Cheers,
F
Old 08-08-14, 02:13 PM
heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a number of Origin 8 parts on a build a couple of years ago and the parts were fine. They were available on Amazon for "Prime" delivery. I used a threadless headset, saddle, pedals, crank, brakes and brake lever. All of them were usable and worked as advertised/expected. The only quibble I had was that they put their logo on EVERYTHING. Sometimes multiple times. I'm more of a "less is more" in terms of branding and marketing stuff so it bothered me a little. But it was a fine build using those parts.
Old 08-08-14, 02:48 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding an Origin-8 and the frame is somewhat heavy but I think I'm gonna change the rear tire because it flakes like a ***** when I skid. I also got rid of the stock plastic pedals and added pedals that could be fitted with clips. The front brake works well and the gear ratio (45/16) is perfect
Old 10-21-14, 01:53 PM
Phazr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The most quality thing their offering at the moment is their aftermarket platform pedals in my opinion. The Slimlines are absolutely awesome. By far my favorite platforms I've ridden and I've tried quite a few.

We'll say I work very closely to them and I can say that their forth coming products have taken a step in the right direction. The quality is becoming better and better, some products are much nicer than others but they are attending to the complaints and taking in a lot of advice. Look forward to higher quality coming from them for an affordable price.

Also their new fat bike, the Scout XLT looks like its going to be pretty sweet and host a 2x10 Sram drivetrain for around 1700 msrp

Last edited by Phazr; 10-21-14 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-21-14, 03:50 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE

My Origin 8 quill stem had unsatisfactory grip on the habdlebar. Will not use again.
Old 10-21-14, 05:06 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I once rode a bike with origin8 components. It gave me cancer.

I'm a survivor.
Old 10-21-14, 05:16 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I once rode a bike with an Origen 8 Urban Saddle. It gave me hemorrhoids. I died.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 10-21-14, 05:21 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I once rode a bike with an Origen 8 Urban Saddle. It gave me hemorrhoids. I died.
R.I.P. Tejano

He will be missed by everybody

kinda...
Old 10-24-14, 06:00 PM
Bovka99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I.m eying on Origin8 fix8 frameset on eBay Europe which includes headset,seat clamp etc.price is the main attraction for me and I'm looking for 52cm approx. I don't see cable stops for caliper brakes on the top tube and wondering how I will tidy brake cable if I were to build a commuter.thinking of building a single speed. And also what type of bottom bracket should I use I'm a newbie when it comes to bottom bracket stem,headset etc for this type of frame.any input will be deeply appreciated.
Old 10-24-14, 07:50 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bovka99
I.m eying on Origin8 fix8 frameset on eBay Europe which includes headset,seat clamp etc.price is the main attraction for me and I'm looking for 52cm approx. I don't see cable stops for caliper brakes on the top tube and wondering how I will tidy brake cable if I were to build a commuter.thinking of building a single speed. And also what type of bottom bracket should I use I'm a newbie when it comes to bottom bracket stem,headset etc for this type of frame.any input will be deeply appreciated.
Cable ties work a treat to keep your brake cables neat, or your can get all fancy and buy clamp on guides which actually work and look pretty good.
Old 10-25-14, 12:33 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
My Trek 800 sport s/t has Origin8 parts; lock on ergo grips, saddle, threadless converter quill, ****** grip extensions, handlebar neck. I like the company if for anything, they make many parts in black
Old 10-25-14, 12:35 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
...really...the word pis/tol is censored...?
Old 10-26-14, 04:49 PM
Bovka99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I'm going to buy origin8 fix8 frameset which will include seat clamp and seat post. Now I'm wondering what bottom bracket and stem should I use??? I'm newbie. Is this type BB is different from road English BBs? Do I need road bike stem? Do I need headset? Also does it have holes for caliper brakes? Thanks
Old 05-27-19, 01:57 PM
adlu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a new user and I still haven't figured out whether more people enjoy resurrected threads or hate them, so at the risk of angering some of you I'm going to resurrect this one because I enjoyed reading it and I have a relevant question.

I'm looking for a rigid 26" mountain bike fork for a bikepacking trip through less developed countries. Ideally it would be robust, compatible with rim and disc brakes for ultimate repairability, and not too expensive ( <$130). Several have recommended the Surly Troll fork as the best higher-end choice, but I saw that Amazon stocks an Origin8 fork that fits my needs. I just don't know how well it will hold up.

I'd appreciate any additional input/feedback you've had since 2014!

Product link: https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-CROMO...9KDSJBA2RNF91R

Thanks!
Old 05-27-19, 02:24 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
It's a fork made of steel. It'll hold up fine.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 06-05-19, 05:26 PM
BicycleBicycle

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You know all the parts made by brands that suspiciously don't own a factory for said parts?
Most of that stuff comes from a select few factories.

Back in the day, things that came from said factories were actual crap. They went on most of the toy bikes and sub $100 bikes.
Pot metal hubs, barely steel frames, etc.

After a while some small companies figured out what was good (They started to use aircraft aluminum and various alloy steels), and came out with really nice parts.
THEN, someone decided "What if I take the features of these parts, and then just mass manufacture them?". Then, the quality of everything kind of went up.

Origin8 is basically that mass manufacturer that uses most of what is now known as the "industry standard" for what makes a decent bike part.
They get their stuff from the same few places, and most other brands re-brand these exact same parts (save for maybe a different locknut or something).
Not amazing, but just well established designs that work. They are a relatively new company, and they came out after the first fixed gear boom.

That being said, if you want to build a decent bike, you can't really go wrong with any of these "aftermarket" companies, origin8 being one of them (amongst others like 1/8").
You'll be getting the industry aftermarket standard, and you likely won't need a lot more than that. All of them use good materials (albeit the cheapest possible material of this material, like the softest 7075), and well known designs that have worked for people previously.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground in the fg/ss world. You're either buying this stuff, or you're buying some re-branded version of this stuff, or you are buying very very expensive proprietary things.
For example, not very long ago I was in the market for a front portuer rack. I wanted something just above my front tire (low), that was wide, and that had a bunch of bars to tie things to basically.
My choices were an origin8 rack $(59.99) some kind of blackburn rack ($74.99), a Soma rack($189.99) and a Cetma rack ($200).

If i had $200 to blow would I have gone with the US made Cetma? Absolutely. Some dude in a garage throwing out custom racks? F-yeah i'm all over it.
But I was only willing to spend like $90 at the VERY most.
The blackburn rack had bells and whistles, but was exatctly the same quality, and made in exactly the same place as the origin8. It was pretty much a no brainer.
It was good stuff too. Solid, well built, welded well, and came with good hardware.
If someone gave me a good reason to spend that $90 I would have done it. ESPECIALLY if it was buy some innovative small company.
But I was in no position to be blowing money (I wasn't livnig on my own dime).
I needed it for work, and it did exactly what I needed it to so there it was.

This same concept applies across the board of all bike parts it seems, at least in the SS/FG world.

Don't expect the strongest or the lightest, but don't expect total crap either.
You'd be hard pressed to find a better value for an everyday bike.
For example, if you get a stem from one of these comapnies, you'll get a piece of aircraft grade aluminum, with the proper grade steel bolts, with locktite on the threads. Proper.
I've had really sick bikes and i've never found a good reason to replace a stem because i've never broken one and they've never come loose on me.
You're better off buying from one of these brands than you are buying like a re-branded version of the same part.

Also, most of their stuff is made in Taiwan which has become the silicon valley of bicycles and they have modern labor laws, so no real supply chain guilt there either.
Because taiwan's bicyle game has become advanced, they now have specialty factories that can do special things for people for not a whole lot more than what it would cost to have a basic design built by a mass manufacturuer. This is where most of the really good custom frames that are made overseas are coming from. They're starting to get more skilled and they are making small boutique shops that can do custom jobs.

SOME companies, capitalize on this and get some pretty good stuff made that is a step above something that you would get like out of origin8.
I believe that a middle ground is coming for these reasons.
That you have to discover for yourself as it's different for every person.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 06-05-19 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 12:11 PM
BicycleBicycle

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by adlu
I'm a new user and I still haven't figured out whether more people enjoy resurrected threads or hate them, so at the risk of angering some of you I'm going to resurrect this one because I enjoyed reading it and I have a relevant question.

I'm looking for a rigid 26" mountain bike fork for a bikepacking trip through less developed countries. Ideally it would be robust, compatible with rim and disc brakes for ultimate repairability, and not too expensive ( <$130). Several have recommended the Surly Troll fork as the best higher-end choice, but I saw that Amazon stocks an Origin8 fork that fits my needs. I just don't know how well it will hold up.

I'd appreciate any additional input/feedback you've had since 2014!

Product link: https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-CROMO-250xTDLSx28-6x30-0BK-CANTI-CRN-AXLE/dp/B002PTTKP0/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GF94K69KDSJBA2RNF91R

Thanks!

I hope that after reading my post you get a general idea of what to do here. The surly fork seems to drop into my category of "they found a way to make a unique bike part at slightly above the price of a normal bike part".
Upon inspection, i've noticed that their hubs are also a little better than the normal formula's (just a tad).

They may have found a good manufacturer in taiwan that lets them up their spec game.
Or, it could be the same as the origin8 fork with just some bells and whistles added.

I would treat them as equal in terms of strength, but give a slight benefit of the doubt to surly (may be a little bit better cromoly, and they could use a shop that does work at slightly higher quality).
There are a lot of documentaries out there that show how a new bike company without a lot of capital gets started in taiwan (Hence why it's the silicon valley of bikes). Some of them just literally pick a frame from a 3 ring binder and put their name on it, others work with shops that allow them to spec their geo, materials, and manufacturing processes. 3 ring binder guys are the cash grab fixie companies that you see (although at higher price points the same companies also spec their own specs). People that spec their specs are the surly's, and all cities of the fg/ss world. As I said, because entire cities are dedicated to bicycle manufacturing there, small custom shops with skilled craftsmen have popped up. So you can get some REALLY good stuff from taiwan nowadays. BUT, I still think a lot of companies way overcharge and almost charge domestically made prices for their overseas frames, but that's just because they have no competition and they use hipster marketing I think.
There are exceptions, but they suck at marketing so you haven't heard of them.
I think everyone shoudl watch a documentary of bike mfg in taiwan as it woudl give you good insight as to what products you shoudl get.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 06-06-19 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 11:27 PM
williexwill

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone RB2 FG conversion, 80 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 city bike conversion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BicycleBicycle
I hope that after reading my post you get a general idea of what to do here. The surly fork seems to drop into my category of "they found a way to make a unique bike part at slightly above the price of a normal bike part".
Upon inspection, i've noticed that their hubs are also a little better than the normal formula's (just a tad).

They may have found a good manufacturer in taiwan that lets them up their spec game.
Or, it could be the same as the origin8 fork with just some bells and whistles added.

I would treat them as equal in terms of strength, but give a slight benefit of the doubt to surly (may be a little bit better cromoly, and they could use a shop that does work at slightly higher quality).
There are a lot of documentaries out there that show how a new bike company without a lot of capital gets started in taiwan (Hence why it's the silicon valley of bikes). Some of them just literally pick a frame from a 3 ring binder and put their name on it, others work with shops that allow them to spec their geo, materials, and manufacturing processes. 3 ring binder guys are the cash grab fixie companies that you see (although at higher price points the same companies also spec their own specs). People that spec their specs are the surly's, and all cities of the fg/ss world. As I said, because entire cities are dedicated to bicycle manufaConsidcturing there, small custom shops with skilled craftsmen have popped up. So you can get some REALLY good stuff from taiwan nowadays. BUT, I still think a lot of companies way overcharge and almost charge domestically made prices for their overseas frames, but that's just because they have no competition and they use hipster marketing I think.
There are exceptions, but they suck at marketing so you haven't heard of them.
I think everyone shoudl watch a documentary of bike mfg in taiwan as it woudl give you good insight as to what products you shoudl get.
Sounds fascinating. Got a link to any good documentaries or recommendations?
Old 04-29-21, 06:20 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Does the job? Yep.

Pride of ownership? Nope.

And that's why we have choices.