Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage touring with toe clips or without?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage touring with toe clips or without?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 11:06 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I've tried Shimano road pedals, and Speedplay, but SPDs are the most durable, easiest in and out of, and most walkable off the bike. No question.
For sure and I walked mine to death, over the years. Pitched them out when I left Jamaica, a couple of months ago...
Old 06-25-19, 12:02 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
All my bikes have nice MTB platforms with pins now. I used to ride SPDs but any benefit I felt I believe was just psychological. As far as I can tell I have lost no performance with platforms and have never had any comfort issues on platforms.

Not having to plan your bike ride or camping trip around what shoes you need to wear to ride your bike is incredibly liberating and makes the act of riding my bike simpler and less expensive. No special shoes to buy, no cleats to replace, no getting stuck with or without bike shoes. Plus on off-road stuff I don't have to deal with unclipping to put a foot down.
Old 06-25-19, 12:05 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
It is interesting that this topic came up today. Just last night I put the Lyotard 23 with toe clips and straps on my bike a when for a ride. It could be the placebo effect, but they feel like I was going further or faster for the same effort as with flat pedals. 30 years ago, I rode in nothing but toe clips, so how to get in and out felt automatic. But some of you raise some good points about getting out of toe clips. I had an indecent 30 or so years ago where I was stopped at a traffic light and was doing or trying to do a track stand and fell over. Well, at 20 something no problem. Bruised pride and embarrassment. If I were so bold to try that now, the outcome may not be the same.

So, it was a nice boost to ride in clips, but now I am going to have to weigh things out. As much as I like the feel and look of toe clips, getting injured is to be avoided. I have been wanting to try SPD pedals, however, it is an investment in both the pedals, and the shoes. Then how inclined would I be to just use this bike to go to the store or some other short ride.

To get back to the original question, I don't do loaded touring, but if I did, I doubt I would use toe clips.
Old 06-25-19, 02:36 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 486 Posts
I've always toured (since the 1970s) with regular walking shoes (with moderately stiff sole) and clips and straps with the straps always loose. IMHO, even the best SPD shoes suck for extended walking, and I really don't want to have to carry an extra pair of shoes on a tour solely for the purpose of pedaling a bike. I have however been pondering switching to pinned flats for my next tour. The reasons for this are: 1) I did the switch from SPDs to pinned flats on my mountain bike after seeing so many others making the switch and like it; 2) There have been a number of studies that have shown that the efficiency gain from being cleated in is a chimera.
Old 06-25-19, 03:57 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by hatrabbit
I've always used toe clips on touring bikes, I guess I just got in the habit because that's what the bikes used to come with. How do you all ride? Clipless, toe clips, or bare pedals?
Clips and straps for me, at all times, no cleats.
Old 06-25-19, 04:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
All my bikes have nice MTB platforms with pins now. I used to ride SPDs but any benefit I felt I believe was just psychological. As far as I can tell I have lost no performance with platforms and have never had any comfort issues on platforms.

Not having to plan your bike ride or camping trip around what shoes you need to wear to ride your bike is incredibly liberating and makes the act of riding my bike simpler and less expensive. No special shoes to buy, no cleats to replace, no getting stuck with or without bike shoes. Plus on off-road stuff I don't have to deal with unclipping to put a foot down.
+1

I'm a hypocrite, however. I think I'm addicted to SPD...

I do wear a shoe that looks like a low top hiking shoe, however, with inset cleats, as others have noted.

The one advantage of SPD is that your feet can't bounc off the pedals when you're going over a rutted road, but that's an edge condition.

If a newcomer were to ask me, I'd say go with some large platform pedals as others have mentioned.
Old 06-25-19, 05:41 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
SP-11 King3 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

SP-11 King2 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

SP-11 King1 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-26-19, 03:17 AM
kwhiner

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '84 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Nowadays, SPD for sure. It's an awesome system.

That's my choice, for the non-touring frames Look style pedals and Sidi shoes except in the hottest weather then Giro for the wider fit.
Old 06-26-19, 06:33 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread

This is a true statement and one that’s been proven by lab testing . A really good set of down hill platforms with aggressive pins keep your foot planted very well on the pedal. The specialized Bennie platforms are really good but are also pretty hard on shoe soles .
Likes For SamSpade1941:
Old 06-26-19, 12:02 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
1: SPD one side, obverse platform.
2: SPD both sides but add a pair of aluminum platform adapters ($20)

Extended touring with two pairs of shoes (optional sandals) is a new luxury. Friend advised me and surely made a difference.