Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trick to perfectly straight handlebars?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 10:50 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts

What's your secret to getting your handlebars dead straight?

The shop serviced my headset and the bar is slightly crooked. I took it back (the shop was on my training ride route this evening) and now it's a little crooked the other way. I made it better shortly after but it's still not bang on straight..

How do you guys do this?
Old 06-27-19, 10:54 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ronin4740
What's your secret to getting your handlebars dead straight?

The shop serviced my headset and the bar is slightly crooked. I took it back (the shop was on my training ride route this evening) and now it's a little crooked the other way. I made it better shortly after but it's still not bang on straight..

How do you guys do this?
Suspension of disbelief.

Try as I might, I never can get it perfect, so I have to choose to accept that it is perfect enough; suspension of disbelief, for the sake of enjoyment.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 06-27-19, 11:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The two ways that I usually use are

1- try to line up the stem's extension with the tire. Variations on this are when you sight down and use the side of the stem and side of the tire or the stem's bar clamp over the tire's center.

2- Use the bars and drop outs to look down on. Sometimes the back side of the bars and or the axle work better.

When I have customers who are especially sensitive to this I sometimes present the bike to them with a not yet tightened fully stem. I ask them to set the alignment then I do the clamping.

BTW just like some people need seats that are slightly off line so do some need bars that are not centered and/or aligned. Andy
Old 06-28-19, 12:36 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
https://en.tune.de/produkt/equipment/spurtreu.html

You could use a frickin laser.

But what Andrew said.
Old 06-28-19, 06:23 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
On a new build w/o wheels as of yet I have placed a rod on across the front fork ends and set the bars, after built I sight down my front wheel making sure the spokes disappear evenly behind the tire and then center the stem on the tire before tightening.
Old 06-28-19, 06:36 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
After doing the best I can in the stand, I bring the Allen wrench(es) on a test ride and fine-tune it on the road.

Once in a while I get an old bike with very slightly bent bars. If you get the stem dead center, the bars feel crooked. If you align the bars, the stem looks off. Usually there's no way to notice that in the stand.
Old 06-28-19, 06:56 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Deductive logic:
1. No dimension like "perfectly straight handlebars" can exist in space-time.
2. So a tolerance on the misalignment will have to be specified.
3. The tolerance will have to be based on the observer's ability to perceive the misalignment.
4. Only the OP can explore their own ability to perceive.
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 06-28-19, 07:00 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
The trick is to get it close and not worry about it. Your brain will adapt 1 2 seconds and you'll continue to ride in a straight line regardless of how straight your bars are.
Old 06-28-19, 07:54 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I stand over the front tire, holding it between my knees, and move the bars until they look perpendicular to the tire. Double-check by looking down over the stem from the riding position.

It's not about actually getting them straight, it's about thinking that they're straight. Perception is reality. If the bars look straight to you, they are. A degree or two to one side or the other isn't going to matter.
Old 06-28-19, 10:28 AM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
*chuckle* some good answers and some funny answers in here - thanks all! I don't know why a couple of degrees out of true bothers me so much but it does...

If the SpurTru were $40.00 I'd probably buy one... But one of the guys in the comments below the review of the SpurTru suggested a plum bob. Maybe I'll go that route.

Thank God the seat post on the Giant TCR I'm riding isn't round or I'd be losing sleep over the nose of the saddle being something other than true (though I think it's even easier to fix with a plum bob!)
Old 06-28-19, 10:33 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I try to align the stem, top tube and wheel/tire standing still. Then I carry an allen wrench to adjust while on the road (but stopped, lol).. Eventually I stop obsessing, forget about it and just ride. That is, until I do something again with the front end that brings my attention to alignment and starts the obsessive process again.
Old 06-28-19, 12:19 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
When I have customers who are especially sensitive to this I sometimes present the bike to them with a not yet tightened fully stem. I ask them to set the alignment then I do the clamping.
My system too.

Another trick is to align the handlebars with one eye closed.
Old 06-28-19, 12:47 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
I have a groove between the tiles in my kitchen tile floor. Theres supposed to be more morter there than there is. I park the bike in the groove & measure the bar ends to the sliding glass door. Equal distance = perpindicular to bike. It works better with skinny tires, they fit floor groove better.

I've also installed bare rims on the bike, then zip tied the bare rims to a 2x4 I deemed "straight enough" and measured the bar ends to the seat post or some other suitable fixed reference (rear drop out, etc...) The idea being to get a clean measurement with out the influence of the tire mucking things up.
Old 06-28-19, 01:05 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Learn how to adjust a headset, and align them yourself. Get it as close as you can by eye, then go out and ride it. If adjustments are required make them.
Old 07-01-19, 09:00 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I stand over the front tire, holding it between my knees, and move the bars until they look perpendicular to the tire. Double-check by looking down over the stem from the riding position.

It's not about actually getting them straight, it's about thinking that they're straight. Perception is reality. If the bars look straight to you, they are. A degree or two to one side or the other isn't going to matter.
I do it the same way. I was stunned that this is even an issue, until I read the second paragraph.
Old 07-01-19, 09:47 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
I'm OCD about symmetry and line the handlebars up perpendicularly with some feature on the fork (like the brake bosses if the bike has "V" brakes) looking "over the bars" from above them. Able to get it "perfect" (means I can't perceive any unevenness) that way.
Old 07-01-19, 12:17 PM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-02-19, 05:55 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
I just eyeball it. On my Litespeed, which is the bike I ride most often, they've been slightly off for years now. Every ride, I notice it, and by the time I get home I've forgotten to fix it again. It's much less of a deal than having the levers not level.
Old 07-02-19, 06:18 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Is your frame straight? I futzed with the handlebar on my commuter until I finally noticed that the fork is a bit crooked.
Old 07-02-19, 06:51 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The 'trick' is to loosen your definition of 'perfect'.

There are people who put a .0001" dial gauge on their wheels to determine if they are out of true, which results in thinking the wheel is out of true even if they could not have possibly known or felt the problem without the dial gauge. The solution to this is to lighten up and ride your bike.
Old 07-02-19, 07:06 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I want you all to know I hate this thread.

3 years I've had my bike. I never noticed the handlebar wasn't perfectly straight.

Since I looked at this thread I instantly noticed that my bar is about 3-4 degrees off straight.

Now I can't unsee it.

(I'm kidding about hating anything, for the humorless among you. But suddenly seeing the bar being crooked is now driving me nuts. That part is true. )
Old 07-02-19, 07:09 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Ruler, measuring tape or large carpenters square all work for me.
Old 07-02-19, 09:33 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
You need to take off any mounts/computer/lights off the handle bar because it will play tricks on you. Ensure the bike is level and hold the seat while observing from the rear. Make the necessary adjustments, double check, then go for a ride. Make final tweaks as required and you are done.
Old 07-02-19, 06:32 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Bike shop is off the hook on this one. What looks perfect to me may be unrideable to you. Or if not unrideable at least crooked. The old old bike shop way to do this was to have the customer stand over the bike and tell the mechanic when it was straight. Half the time customers would be thrilled by the personal attention and half the time they would wonder if these guys had a clue. But it will never be straight. It might make you happy, it will not be straight.
Old 07-02-19, 07:32 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Take out the front wheel, press the ends of the fork and the bars (much easier on road bikes, maybe rotate flat bars) against a window or glass door.

Never actually tried it, but I use a similar technique to make drop bar levers symmetrical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.