Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage bike options for air?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-08-19, 01:45 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts

My only on-the-road source of air is an old Zefal HP. (I think I asked about replacing seals recently.) Today I got a flat, and the lack of air moving ability in that old pump meant the rest of the ride to work was at a more gingerly pace, worried as I was that I'd get a pinch flat.

All I own are vintage steel bikes. I have tried a couple of those mini-pumps and hate them. I will replace the seal in my Zefal, but is there a reasonably effective full size frame pump available which is worth trying? Should I just abandon all hope in pumps and switch to a CO2 inflator? If so, what do people like in that space?
Old 07-08-19, 01:55 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
zefal continues to make pumps to this day I use a LEZYNE Sport Drive Hp Hand Pump. it does the job. A frame or mini pump will never do the same job a floor pump does but I find the Lezyne delivers plenty of air for my needs. Note I do not run tires at 110 PSI
Old 07-08-19, 02:08 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Zefal still makes their HPx pumps. Still ugly, still bulletproof.

I've heard them described as cockroaches - they're everywhere, ugly, and hard to kill 😁

I got to use mine a couple of times on yesterday's Velo Retro ride in Pasadena - twice at the start to fill up a punctured spare tubular, and then my spare :-(, and again on the ride for a rear tube failure.
Old 07-08-19, 02:09 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 887 Posts
Fix or get a new Zefal.
Old 07-08-19, 02:20 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Thanks. I'd forgotten about the newer Zefals. Maybe because they always seemed ugly to me (not a lot of other black on my bikes). I'll start with new rubber internal bits and then branch out if that doesn't solve the issue.
Old 07-08-19, 02:24 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Topeak RaceRocket HP. 80g and tiny, uses a flexible hose so you don't need to brace the chuck carefully while pumping. It takes a lot of strokes to pump the tire, but it has a narrow cylinder that can manage respectable pressures.
Old 07-08-19, 02:30 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
I use a mini pump just to get the bead seated then hit it with a CO2 cartridge.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-08-19, 02:41 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I bought a new HPX3 while on tour this spring. I have two dysfunctional HPX4, for one of which there is no hope, but I continue to fiddle with the other one. I have a stash of pump umbrellas incoming, so I will soon be able to mount it on whichever bike I will be riding. IMO, there isn't a better pump out there.

Old 07-08-19, 02:47 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Topeak Road Morph w/ gauge has a flip down foot pedal to become a mini foot pump. It also has a hose that flips out so there is no risk of rocking the valve back and forth creating a leak there. The bracket that comes in the box does not allow you to mount a water bottle cage on top of it though. You have to contact Topeak for this optional bracket. I have Road Morph pumps on 3 different bikes. I can’t tell you how many times I’v had to be the Good Samaritan on the roadside when somone’s CO2 isn’t cutting it.
Old 07-08-19, 03:10 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Another vote for fixing the Zefal or buying a new one. As I recall they are available in either black or silver, though black is more common. The pump overhaul kits are available cheaply directly from Zefal in France. I've never seen one that couldn't be fixed for less than $10 in parts. I can't count the number of folks on the roadside who I've rescued with either my Zefal HPX or Silca Impero who were having a ridiculously difficult time either pumping up their tire with a worthless minipump or that had been stranded because their CO2 cartridge adapter didn't seal properly and emptied into the atmosphere. With few exceptions (the Road Morph being one) I find the minipumps to be worthless and CO2 cartridges to only be useful if you also stay within cell phone range to call for rescue.
Old 07-08-19, 03:42 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
My favorite has been the Silca Impero. I don't think they make it any more and I don't have any more. I have a Zeus that works great, but again no longer available. And, I have a Zefal. I never really thought they were so great, however, yea, they are like cockroaches. The one that I have was dented.

This is about the only way to ruin one. Being the cheapskate that I am, I was able to get a rod inside the tube and knock the dents out of the body of the pump. It works now. Not only do they still make the same pump, but the parts are still available. That doesn't make it great, but it does help to make it a pump to consider.

I will also say that if I had to spend money on a new pump I would investigate some of the suggestions above as well.
Old 07-08-19, 03:48 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
What's to "hate" about the newer generation of carry-with pumps? They WORK a lot better than the old Zefals and Silcas; at least any good quality one with a valve lock does. I've used the Topeak mentioned above, with the short hose and the little foot peg; plenty effective, like many other Topeaks I've used. Reckon I've never bought one new; they're usu. $5-10 on CL, or at the local thrift or the bike co-op.
Old 07-08-19, 03:57 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
CO2 has been around long enough to be correct
Old 07-08-19, 05:20 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
My favorite has been the Silca Impero. I don't think they make it any more and I don't have any more.
Someone bought the brand a few years ago and now makes an obscenely expensive new version of the Impero. I don't think it has much in common with the old one, but it probably works pretty damn well.
Old 07-08-19, 05:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Did you say COMMUTE? I'd use CO2.
Old 07-08-19, 06:08 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
I use a mini pump just to get the bead seated then hit it with a CO2 cartridge.
+1 on this methodology, it's what I normally do. Experience has taught me, however, that an old Silca Impero is absolutely capable of overinflating and blowing a tire off a rim. Just takes a whole lot of work to get there.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 07-08-19 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 06:33 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Well, I have the newer Zefal pumps and carry them in pretty much all my bikes except for the few without a pump peg. But the past couple of years I also carry a CO2 inflator and a couple of cartridges. They are just too simple to use and I still have the Zefal as a backup just in case. I also always have 2 tubes with me.
Old 07-08-19, 06:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Thanks. I'd forgotten about the newer Zefals. Maybe because they always seemed ugly to me (not a lot of other black on my bikes). I'll start with new rubber internal bits and then branch out if that doesn't solve the issue.
Zephal has had the "Classic" for a few years now. An HPX in silver, looking like the old HPs but with the HPX defeat to the handle spring and a framefit handle. Any bikeshop can get it. Best of both worlds.

Ben
Old 07-08-19, 06:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
My favorite has been the Silca Impero. I don't think they make it any more and I don't have any more. I have a Zeus that works great, but again no longer available. And, I have a Zefal. I never really thought they were so great, however, yea, they are like cockroaches. The one that I have was dented.

This is about the only way to ruin one. Being the cheapskate that I am, I was able to get a rod inside the tube and knock the dents out of the body of the pump. It works now. Not only do they still make the same pump, but the parts are still available. That doesn't make it great, but it does help to make it a pump to consider.

I will also say that if I had to spend money on a new pump I would investigate some of the suggestions above as well.
I used to lend my old Zephal HPs to folk with Silcas that weren't cutting the mustard. Now it's HPXs (though I do still have a couple of HPs in working condition) to folk with mini-pumps or who used their last canister. For 15 years and my big mileage years, all my tires were tubular and all my pumps were HPs. (Had a car run over an HP. Did the dowel trick and used it until I lost it years later. It had a nice ergonomic swing to the pump stroke.)

Ben
Old 07-08-19, 07:26 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I used to lend my old Zephal HPs to folk with Silcas that weren't cutting the mustard. Now it's HPXs (though I do still have a couple of HPs in working condition) to folk with mini-pumps or who used their last canister. For 15 years and my big mileage years, all my tires were tubular and all my pumps were HPs. (Had a car run over an HP. Did the dowel trick and used it until I lost it years later. It had a nice ergonomic swing to the pump stroke.)

Ben
And what is the dowel trick? I currently have an hp that has been run over.

Old 07-08-19, 11:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you prefer long strong, narrow tube, high pressure pumps, check out the Topeak RaceRocket HPX and Blackburn Core Slim. Not full length frame pumps, but longer than typical mini pumps.
Old 07-08-19, 11:39 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
What's to "hate" about the newer generation of carry-with pumps? They WORK a lot better than the old Zefals and Silcas; at least any good quality one with a valve lock does.
I beg to differ sir. I actually have a Road Morph for my mountain bike, and although it is pretty good "for a mini-pump", it doesn't hold a candle to my Silcas or my Zefal HPXs in terms of time needed to pump up to full pressure. I also weighed the pumps and the Silca with Campagnolo metal head is about the same weight as the Road Morph, despite being much larger. I'm wondering if perhaps you've never used a Silca with a Campy metal head (the other heads are worthless) or perhaps the Zefals or Silcas you've used have worn out pump leathers (easily replaced). I can't imagine that anyone would use a Silca or Zefal in good shape and not think it was vastly faster and more efficient than a mini pump.

The only down side I can think of to the Silca and Zefal is that you need to know the proper arm/body technique in order to use them. That is not necessary with a mini pump with foot pedal and hose.
Old 07-08-19, 11:52 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Together, my wife and I have had four Silca Imperos over the years, all purchased new BITD, three with Campy metal heads. Yes, they're relatively efficient, and yes, over time, I got the right arm action nailed down, along with having the wheel in just the right position. And in their time they were about the best you could get. (And indeed, the stock plastic Silca head isn't worth a plug nickel.) But most modern Topeak pumps with valve locks that I've had are just more reliable, and overall less finicky.

Still doesn't answer why the OP "hates" modern pumps.

Last edited by madpogue; 07-09-19 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-09-19, 06:54 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Skip

If you can come up with the Campy head I've spare Silca pumps. Possibly in size and color that would be useful. Can also direct you to where there are more locally, also free for asking. Don't want to name that LBS in these pages but you know the spot. Silca are all old now. Reliability is good enough, usually, not so reliable as a fresh Zefal.

Only technique to learn is do not let go of handle when chuck is on valve. It can and will kick and go flying. Also works much better if willing to settle for 80 or 90 psi, which is enough for your big tires. The Silca is basically a 1930s pump from when tires were fatter and lower pressure. For 1960s and older the square top pumps are preferred, together with umbrella clip. Those are getting hard to find. The 70s/80s 'frame-fit' pumps are still abundant.
Old 07-09-19, 07:42 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

I really like this Lezyne frame pump. It's plastic holder goes under the water bottle bolts and is very securely held by both plastic jaws and velco. As you see you can put your foot on the fold down wire base and use your entire body/weight to pump greatly reducing fatigue in inflating a large low pressure tire or small high pressure tire. It also has a gauge so there is no pinch and guess on proper inflation pressure. It easily clears the crank arms and is quite light. Highly recommended.