Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clicking Jockey Wheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Clicking Jockey Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-19, 09:41 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Clicking Jockey Wheels

Alright mechanical gurus. I've reached my limit of skill and patience.

Force 10 speed, KMC gold chain.

I'm getting some overall noise, and in the smallest cog especially the chain is clicking over the lower jockey wheel I think, from what I can tell in the stand.

Started after I replaced both cracked jockeys and changed cassette. I've rechecked chain length, b screw, high low limits, straightened the hanger a touch with the actual tool. Replaced the wheels with the SRAM rival/force ones. Bottom one is definitely in the right direction. Top isn't marked.

Is the cage bent? What else could it be?

Old 07-06-19, 09:59 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Did you change the chain when you changed the cassette and jockey wheels? A worn chain on a new cassette (and perhaps jockey wheels, I suppose) can cause noise and skipping.

I tend to only change one thing at a time since if you do a bunch together and there are problems it is much harder to sort out what caused the problem.
Old 07-06-19, 10:08 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I don't know, but looking at the pic of RD, shouldn't your shifting cable be secured on the other side of the fixing bolt? The top side instead of the bottom.
Old 07-06-19, 12:52 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Some RDs use different wheels--the upper one is a jockey wheel, the lower is an idler wheel.

Try reversing yours, see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-06-19, 12:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nylon Tacx pulleys are quieter, than those using a harder plastic..

but the Proprietary upper pulleys may be incompatible Which I think Sram is..
Old 07-06-19, 01:16 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Did you change the chain when you changed the cassette and jockey wheels? A worn chain on a new cassette (and perhaps jockey wheels, I suppose) can cause noise and skipping.

I tend to only change one thing at a time since if you do a bunch together and there are problems it is much harder to sort out what caused the problem.
I did violate the rule by changing two things, for sure. Didn't change the chain, not a bad idea, but the chain isn't that worn, and the way its jumping on the wheel isn't under load or anything, it's just not aligned. It just occasionally clicks over as the teeth miss.

Originally Posted by trailangel
I don't know, but looking at the pic of RD, shouldn't your shifting cable be secured on the other side of the fixing bolt? The top side instead of the bottom.
Good catch, you're right. Certainly not helping things.

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Some RDs use different wheels--the upper one is a jockey wheel, the lower is an idler wheel.

Try reversing yours, see if it makes a difference.
The one marked lower is in the lower idler position, and the marked arrow spins the right way. The idler is the one that's clicking as it misses and then slides into the chain I think.
Old 07-09-19, 11:24 AM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Since the upper one isn't marked for direction you might try flipping it around and see if that makes a difference. If it's only missing in the smallest cog on the cassette maybe it's a B screw issue? Is the smallest cog on the cassette the same number of teeth as the previous cassette?
Old 07-09-19, 12:12 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by ronin4740
Since the upper one isn't marked for direction you might try flipping it around and see if that makes a difference. If it's only missing in the smallest cog on the cassette maybe it's a B screw issue? Is the smallest cog on the cassette the same number of teeth as the previous cassette?
I think I already tried flipping it.

For the B-screw, that's possible, something did seem off. When I had the chain off to initially re-set everything, I could get the b-screw perfect on the big cog, 6mm or so, but when I would pull it down, I could never get it quite that close, more like 9mm maybe. So I left it as close as I dared in the big cog, but on the small it's not as close as I would like. Not sure what could cause that though.

Previous was 11-25, this is 11-28, so no change other than spread at the top half.

Last edited by Flatballer; 07-09-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 03:06 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Fixed the cable routing, no change. Replaced the 11,12,13T cogs with the old ones, no changes.

I did slow down and see what's happening. Occasionally when the chain comes off the top pulley, the plate or rivet hits the next largest cog tooth instead of slotting in properly.

Looking at it again, I think the wheels I bought might be for 07-09 Force and I probably have 2010 or newer maybe, although I'm not sure. I'm thinking the wheels aren't quite right. Going to put the old ones on and see if that fixes it, then maybe go to a shop to make sure I buy the right ones.
Old 07-13-19, 05:35 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Old wheels no change. If I move the derailleur slightly outboard by hand I can quiet it, but I can't shift it into that position. It's like the indexing is ever so slightly off at the final shift for some reason, not releasing enough tension. Maybe need to clean the shifters and the derailleur internals, maybe need new cables.
Old 07-13-19, 07:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Is the journal bearing as well as the bearing plates on there respective sides?
You said you flipped the cog, but have you just tried swapping the sides those plates are on.

The center bolt goes thru the one half of the cage, thru the bearing plate into the journal bearing, securely screwing into the other side in the cage. Some plates are deeper grooved than their other partner plate.
Old 07-13-19, 07:22 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Troul
Is the journal bearing as well as the bearing plates on there respective sides?
You said you flipped the cog, but have you just tried swapping the sides those plates are on.

The center bolt goes thru the one half of the cage, thru the bearing plate into the journal bearing, securely screwing into the other side in the cage. Some plates are deeper grooved than their other partner plate.
The only difference I noticed with the plates is that some have larger holes for the larger bolt. I'll double check. I'm thinking it's not the wheels though, it's just where the derailleur is ending up. I think it's a symptom of tension in the shifting maybe. The bike sat for almost 2.5 years until I started riding again recently, so new shift cables isn't unreasonable, plus a good cleaning of the shifters and derailleur itself.
Old 07-14-19, 07:28 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Flatballer
The only difference I noticed with the plates is that some have larger holes for the larger bolt. I'll double check. I'm thinking it's not the wheels though, it's just where the derailleur is ending up. I think it's a symptom of tension in the shifting maybe. The bike sat for almost 2.5 years until I started riding again recently, so new shift cables isn't unreasonable, plus a good cleaning of the shifters and derailleur itself.
Including this information means a lot imo.
Old 07-14-19, 08:17 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Including this information means a lot imo.
I had ridden it a month before I noticed this issue, but it also hadn't been in the stand yet, so I may just not have noticed.
Old 07-14-19, 11:06 AM
Troul 

Change the chain with a new chain & see what it does. Best for preventative maintenance whether it cures the noise or not.
Old 07-14-19, 11:11 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Change the chain with a new chain & see what it does. Best for preventative maintenance whether it cures the noise or not.
Yeah, I'm ordering new chain and new cables and housing to see if sitting maybe got some stuff rusty or dirty a bit.
Old 07-20-19, 12:30 PM
Flatballer
No matches

New chain, new cable and housing. Something is still off. I think it's just the time and crashes have taken their toll on the rear mech. The spring doesn't seem very springy.

Bought a new old stock off ebay for $40 that they had listed incorrectly, we'll see if that does the trick.
Old 07-26-19, 07:37 AM
Flatballer
No matches

New rear derailleur seems to have mostly solved it. Haven't ridden yet, but was much better on the stand last night.

Hanger was slightly bent again, so I fixed that. Not sure how it keeps getting bent. No drops, not leaning the derailleur on stuff. Perhaps the old derailleur being a bit messed up was pulling on it weird under load.
Old 07-26-19, 08:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The force exerted by a derailleur against the hanger under normal riding conditions should not be able to bend the hanger.

Pro cyclists producing hundreds of watts and beating the crud out of their bikes during races should not be able to bend the hanger.

-Tim-
Old 07-26-19, 08:11 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by TimothyH
The force exerted by a derailleur against the hanger under normal riding conditions should not be able to bend the hanger.

Pro cyclists producing hundreds of watts and beating the crud out of their bikes during races should not be able to bend the hanger.

-Tim-
I think it certainly could if it jammed or something though, which it did a couple times because it wasn't shifting right.
Old 07-28-19, 05:09 PM
Troul 

A weak/broken der spring might be the cause. I've had one der that lost its "edge" after a few months of use. Replaced it with an identical model, it provided crisp shifting & has been going for over twice the amount of use.