Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Street Restored = 200+ MTB DB = 1

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 04:14 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts

Though I have never carefully counted, my guess is that I have street restored between 200 and 300 vintage bicycles, over the years. That said, just the other day, I completed my first ever drop bar mountain bike conversion...

Picked this Rocky Mountain up for a very decent price but I did not like the ride feel...

So, I swapped the short stem for a longer one, keeping the mountain bike handlebar, That fixed the ride feel just fine but I still wanted drop bars, so I installed them and took Rocky out for a spin on the cottage roads...

Nope, unacceptable ride feel and I have always thought that positive stems look pretty ugly, or out of place perhaps, on a drop bar bike. But I wanted to finish giving my drop bar mountain bike a fair try. Reinstalling the shorter, original, stem did the part of the trick...

So, being satisfied with ride feel and controls placement, I added some cheap bar tape and today, will install a new set of brake pads to replace those that have achieved fossil status - hard as a bloody rock...

And now, at last, I have a decent cottage gravel grinder (could use a better saddle and will keep my eye open for one - cheap), or whatever BF people call these beasts. I like what I got and hope that this old Rocky Mountain proves as road worthy as my Jamaica bike, an early eighties Bianchi Touring...
Old 08-01-19, 04:49 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Never too late to try something new.
Old 08-02-19, 10:57 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Nice job. I have the same Exage Sport brake levers on my Raleigh Super Course, and they are the most comfortable and best feeling levers of the several bikes I ride. I also like the handy release button to open the pads for wheel removal. Best if all, they were a $10 Ebay find!

Before tape wrap.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 08-02-19 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 01:39 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I have the same Exage Sport brake levers on my Raleigh Super Course, and they are the most comfortable and best feeling levers of the several bikes I ride. I also like the handy release button to open the pads for wheel removal. Best if all, they were a $10 Ebay find!
I, too, have a great liking for the Exage brake levers. They are comfy, easy to reach and pull and the hoods stand up, against the ravages of time and environment, very well. My levers came attached to the handlebar and a friend gave me the whole set-up for free. Thanks Curtis...

I really like riding the Rocky Mountain and am seeking a new saddle. Well, an old saddle and one identical to the butt perch on my Jamaica Bianchi, which is the most comfortable saddle that I have ever mated to my butt...