Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Found a 1980's Roberts at the co-op...and a bunch of kids' track bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 05:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts

Today marked another weekend of bike shop hopping, including a trip to the local co-op, where I found this Roberts:

Once again, I'm putting some money aside for a bike that I don't need. Unfortunately, not for sale...yet.

That didn't stop me from throwing my hat into the ring for it already. I found the pairing of the Nuovo RD with the Super Maxy front crankset interesting - though there's way too much chain here (not the co-op's fault, they have a gazillion bikes and this hasn't even been looked at yet). I'm already envisioning a spare, black anodized SR drillium chainring on it, even though I have no business working my way towards a bike that isn't even on the market yet.

The shop - Recyclable Bicycle Exchange of Ft. Lauderdale, also has more youth-sized track bikes than I've ever seen in my life. These were the big ones - 50cm was the biggest, I believe (and if not, they started at 48cm). There was another row of them that were tiny and just had to be 650C. Not sure, couldn't tell.

I've seen Andante badging on any frame you can imagine, so there's no telling what these are - probably frames from a South American builder. They're the ACME Bicycle Corp. of this region, really.

The owner of the co-op also hooked me up with a super nice B.Cycle station sign for the Bike Share Museum and gave me a tour of the facilities - the Broward B.Cycle system is without a doubt one of the cleanest, nicest bike share operations I've seen.

Sure makes you think "London Underground," doesn't it?

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 08-11-19 at 09:45 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 08-03-19, 06:31 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Awesome world you got down there!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 08-03-19, 07:02 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Awesome world you got down there!
In my 5-6 year absence from the hobby, I thought it had all disappeared. Nope - just had to visit some new shops!

-Kurt

Old 08-03-19, 07:15 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Love the bike underground sign!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-11-19, 08:27 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
You have more info on the kids track bikes?
Old 08-11-19, 08:54 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by bwilli88
You have more info on the kids track bikes?
Here's what happened - and in response to your PM, I might have misled you as I thought you were asking about the 650C-sized bikes:

What you see are about 20 ~48cm 700C kids-sized, lugged steel track bikes made by a Columbian framebuilder (from Columbus tubing, so I hear) for the Brian Piccolo Park Velodrome in Broward County, Florida. The framebuilding was contracted through a local shop, Andante Bicycles, that has the connections - they'd ship Columbus tube to the builder, it'd come back as a bike. Another 20 are pint-sized, 650C track bikes.

I don't know whether the kids' program was scrapped at the Velodrome or if they just updated the fleet, but the co-op - technically a non-profit 501(c)(3) - Recyclable Bicycle Exchange, acquired all of them upon their retirement. So far, there's been very little interest in youth track bikes, so they've been hanging up for a few years now. They are now moving from their original location and they're disposing of a lot (pics to follow of some interesting stuff).

I don't think these track frames are going to get chucked, but I did want to put a few to good use. I don't usually mention it, but I currently work at a university-based non-profit for kids bike riding/bike safety ( https://twitter.com/ibikesafe ), and I convinced the staff that we needed to save few of the little 650C buggers (once for lugged steel, always for lugged steel) for our program, converted to upright-bar bikes a-la Raleigh Space Riders.

Jeff at RBX donated them directly to BikeSafe, and while I presently have the bikes in my personal shop right now, they're not mine.

FYI, we (BikeSafe) would benefit greatly by donations of 650C tires, tubes, kids-sized North Road handlebars, and single speed freewheels to make these conversions happen. Just sayin'.

You can text Jeff (at the shop's # - 954-540-7609), and see what he says about the others for your grandkids. I think Jeff prefers merit-based assistance in the shop, so I'm not sure how a remote thing could work out. Talk to him and see what he'd be interested in doing, and then we can talk about how I could facilitate.

This shop is a good 30 miles north of me, so going there once a month is about max for me, and the only reason I brought three Andantes is because I had a rental pickup truck at the time.

Pics incoming of a few other interesting finds in the old shop.

Last edited by cudak888; 08-11-19 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 08-11-19, 08:58 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

From the old shop:

Fantastic Sugino crankset on a relatively meh Japanese bike:

Late model Nishiki International with some nice Suntour:

Schwinn Passage with a bent fork:

Last edited by cudak888; 08-11-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-11-19, 01:12 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

Thanks very much for posting - fun thread!

Roberts was known for bespoke touring framesets in the late '70's - early '80's era of this machine.

Did you examine the white Bianchi Forza immediately to the left of the Roberts in the first two images?

If Andante is the ACME of south Florida it must be where Wiley Coyote orders all of his machines...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-11-19 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarity
Likes For juvela:
Old 08-11-19, 02:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Thanks very much for posting - fun thread!

Roberts was known for bespoke touring framesets in the late '70's - early '80's era of this machine.

Did you examine the white Bianchi Forza immediately to the left of the Roberts in the first two images?

If Andante is the ACME of south Florida it must be where Wiley Coyote orders all of his machines...

-----
Far as I know, this is a Chas-era Roberts frameset. Would look really nice with a set of Bluemels. It doesn't have front pannier attachments though, so it's probably not a full touring machine.

The Forza is a '90s-era frame with a unicrown fork and Japanese components. It may be a nice rider, but it really doesn't interest me. Seemed to be in nice shape though.

The Andantes are a bit crude, but they're solidly built.

-Kurt

Old 08-11-19, 03:51 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
In my 5-6 year absence from the hobby, I thought it had all disappeared. Nope - just had to visit some new shops!

-Kurt
Yep, the sources continue to change. Those that change with it can prosper. Those that are looking in the same old tired spots tend to no longer find anything. "Where have all the old bikes gone?" They are out there. You are just looking in the wrong places.

One thing I like about looking when on a road trip is I sometimes discover an entirely new source.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-11-19 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 08-11-19, 07:15 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by wrk101
Yep, the sources continue to change. Those that change with it can prosper. Those that are looking in the same old tired spots tend to no longer find anything. "Where have all the old bikes gone?" They are out there. You are just looking in the wrong places.

One thing I like about looking when on a road trip is I sometimes discover an entirely new source.
Not to mention the folks you meet! Jeff is an amazing guy - in addition to running Recyclable Bicycle Exchange, he also runs the B-Cycle bike share in Broward. His main RBX mechanic volunteer, John - in the picture with me - shares a love of tinkering with both bikes and high-end computers for video editing.

It's a small world.

-Kurt

Old 08-11-19, 08:33 PM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1981(?) Raleigh Super Grand Prix 25.5", 1983 Raleigh Super Course, 25.5", Austro-Daimler Inter 10, 1988 Trek 560 25.5"; 1986 Peugeot Mont Cenis 64cm.; more to come

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The Roberts find...

Originally Posted by cudak888
Today marked another weekend of bike shop hopping, including a trip to the local co-op, where I found this Roberts:

Once again, I'm putting some money aside for a bike that I don't need. Unfortunately, not for sale...yet.

That didn't stop me from throwing my hat into the ring for it already. I found the pairing of the Nuovo RD with the Super Maxy front crankset interesting - though there's way too much chain here (not the co-op's fault, they have a gazillion bikes and this hasn't even been looked at yet). I'm already envisioning a spare, black anodized SR drillium chainring on it, even though I have no business working my way towards a bike that isn't even on the market yet.

The shop - Recyclable Bicycle Exchange of Ft. Lauderdale, also has more youth-sized track bikes than I've ever seen in my life. These were the big ones - 50cm was the biggest, I believe (and if not, they started at 48cm). There was another row of them that were tiny and just had to be 650C. Not sure, couldn't tell.

I've seen Andante badging on any frame you can imagine, so there's no telling what these are - probably frames from a South American builder. They're the ACME Bicycle Corp. of this region, really.

The owner of the co-op also hooked me up with a super nice B.Cycle station sign for the Bike Share Museum and gave me a tour of the facilities - the Broward B.Cycle system is without a doubt one of the cleanest, nicest bike share operations I've seen.

Sure makes you think "London Underground," doesn't it?

-Kurt
Nice find, brother. Is the background of your pictures of your bike collection or the interior of the bike co-op there? I'm gonna pay a visit to that co-op when I'm in Florida if it is.! Roberts; is that the same company that made whoop-ass stereo receivers and reel-to-reel tape decks back in the long haired 1970s, like Panasonic? They were recording studio quality and probably helped to make vinyl records for rock bands and solo artists alike. Good stuff.!
Old 08-11-19, 09:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by SilverSteve
Nice find, brother. Is the background of your pictures of your bike collection or the interior of the bike co-op there? I'm gonna pay a visit to that co-op when I'm in Florida if it is.! Roberts; is that the same company that made whoop-ass stereo receivers and reel-to-reel tape decks back in the long haired 1970s, like Panasonic? They were recording studio quality and probably helped to make vinyl records for rock bands and solo artists alike. Good stuff.!
All the co-op. Call Jeff to make sure it'll be open when you come. Not many other 531 frames there, but if you like 3-speeds, there's a fair amount of them there...ask Jeff. His phone # is above; texting is his preferred communication method above any other.

No relation to that Roberts. This was a family-owned UK framebuilding shop that was in business until 2015. Pretty decent Wiki article on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberts_Cycles

-Kurt