Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me decide on my brakes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-06-19, 09:15 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I'll put you in context. I have 2 26" rims with coaster brake, but, both of them in bad shappe because although they brake nice, when accelerating they tend to be free, specially in downhills when i stop accelerating and then when i want to go again they are free for some time. I have a nice black 26" rim with 7 Shimano speeds. And finally i have two black 28" rims (no rays no hub). So...

I want to use the 28" but i don't want to screw the black paint with any rim brakes (v brake or cantis) but, the coasters are really bad, so, what do u recommend? I would try both 28" in a brakeless bike with coaster brake, but i would have to buy crank and chain and pray for the chain to get on well with the used coaster sprocket.
Old 08-07-19, 09:13 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
How/why would rim brakes screw up the black paint on the rims? Are you saying that the braking area is painted?

Dan
Old 08-07-19, 09:40 AM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
How/why would rim brakes screw up the black paint on the rims? Are you saying that the braking area is painted?

Dan
They're originally black but i read that with use/abuse black paint can be damaged. And, their brake zone it's in pretty bad condition
Old 08-07-19, 09:57 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Not trying to be obtuse, but I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 08-07-19, 10:21 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I can't be sure

It sounds like you're talking about two different problems.

You have a set of 26" wheels with a coaster brake? The coaster brake takes time to engage after use (when you pedal backwards to engage the mechanism).

You have a set of 28" rims with no hubs, and a 26" rear wheel with a 7 speed freewheel or cassette? If you're asking if you can use the larger rims, there are other considerations. Your frame is set up to accept 26" wheels. Larger rims may not work depending on clearance and location of frame hardware for brakes. Please clarify, or we won't really be able to help.
Old 08-07-19, 11:55 AM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

I'm sorry for my explanation. My problem is that i would like to use the 28" rims (they fit ok in the frame i plan to buy) but their brake zone is not in good form so the alternatives are a fixed gear (but idk how to ride fixies) or a coaster but my coaster brakes are not good too. I mentioned the 26" rim with 7 speed because maybe i should not be worried for the color of the rim getting damaged for braking and just worry about a comfortable ride.

Edit: but as i said, the brake zone on 28" rims is bad so if i put the Shimano 7 speed on them, then it would be difficult to brake with cantis or v brake, thats the reason i considered to use the beaten up coaster brakes.
Old 08-07-19, 02:11 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
It's in the hub.

How did you determine your larger rims can't be used with a rim brake?

Rims not compatible with rim brakes are usually disc braking rims, which include the hub with the rotor bolt on locations. If your frame is incompatible with disc brakes, I'd suggest buying a new wheel set of wheels that are.

A coaster brake is inside the hub. The hub is designed for it and usually only has a single speed. If your rims are unbuilt, you would need to lace them to that hub. Bicycle frames designed around coaster hubs include a tab on the non-drive side chainstay for the brake arm. You could fudge it with hardware, but you should evaluate exactly what you want to do and why. In this and many other things, it's easier to get where you want if you work with what you have instead of against it.
Old 08-07-19, 07:56 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

The problem is that if i put the coaster it wont be easy to convert because i plan to buy a GT old frame so the dropouts are not horizontal so, that means problems with chain tension if coaster brake is is, so, i'll go for the Shimano 7 and some cantis in front. Lets pray the black rim keeps its colour.
Old 08-07-19, 08:17 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Nahuel_B58
The problem is that if i put the coaster it wont be easy to convert because i plan to buy a GT old frame so the dropouts are not horizontal so, that means problems with chain tension if coaster brake is is, so, i'll go for the Shimano 7 and some cantis in front. Lets pray the black rim keeps its colour.
You could try drum brakes or rollercams.
Old 08-07-19, 08:26 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Everything on a bicycle works together. You can almost never change just one part. It sounds to me like you are trying to take parts from sever different kinds of bikes and trying to force fit them together. That's usually hard to make work.

Why don't you try fitting whatever you have together and ask about the specific problem that you encounter?