Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Electric Rad Wheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Electric Rad Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-19, 06:55 PM
paramountx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electric Rad Wheels

It is a pain to have to take off the rear wheel to adjust the brake pads properly. I use the brakes all the time and so I have to adjust both sides frequently. I've noticed that AVID has some sort of dial. My question is, is there any tool I can purchase or possibly make to ease in that burden?
Old 06-08-19, 09:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
pay a regular visit to your favorite bike shop and they can do that for you, for a fee..

Mechanical-cable pulled disc brakes all require manual pad wear adjustments,

Hydraulic disc brakes do not.

so, have that favorite bike shop install a hydraulic brake system for you..

since, I assume, mechanics are not your thing..

Old 06-08-19, 05:53 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is not an option. And I assume you don't have an answer.

I do appreciate you telling me that mechanical brakes needs manual adjustment.. Although..I already stated that.
Old 06-08-19, 06:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
A couple inline adjusters?
https://jagwire.com/products/small-p...line-adjusters
Old 06-08-19, 06:09 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
It appears that your wheels are compatible with disc brakes. Exactly which make and model of disc brake callipers do you have? For the most part, it is not necessary to remove a wheel to adjust a brake. Maybe yours are different. Perhaps a link to the specific brake system you are dealing with could help with advice
Old 06-08-19, 07:38 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The disc brake caliper has 2 pads. One that is on the arm and the other. The other one is a pain to reach because the hub of the rear wheel is electric and it takes up too much space I can't get any conventional tools to adjust it
Old 06-09-19, 01:40 AM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
some mechanical disc brakes have tool free adjustments like the bb7 I assume the fixed pad is awkward to get at because the hub motor means you cant poke an allen key in from the non disc side maybe you need to cut down a allen key to allow easier access and adjustments?
Old 06-09-19, 09:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by paramountx
That is not an option. And I assume you don't have an answer.

I do appreciate you telling me that mechanical brakes needs manual adjustment.. Although..I already stated that.
Did you get banned? Is there truly not a bike shop anywhere nearby? If those are the case, get a bike that doesn't use a super cheap super heavy wheel mounted motor and mechanical disc brakes and you won't have the problems.

You could also have a shop that doesn't have a Park electric stand or something similar (EVT or Minoura) and I can see why they wouldn't want to touch it, everyone in the shop's back would be out for weeks.
Old 06-10-19, 08:20 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I get it

There are many wheel/disk brake setups that arent very well engineered and there is no room or very little room to get an allen wrench in to adjust the inner pad. Sorry but your only option is to remove the caliper, adjust the pad and bolt the caliper back on.

The best option really was already posted- Switch to hydraulic brakes.

-SP
Old 06-16-19, 06:34 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switch to hydraulics isn't an option. But thanks for your input. I'm not in the position to do anything like that. The only solution would have been to have a tool. I can't do any modifications to the bikes
Old 06-16-19, 06:35 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by headasunder
some mechanical disc brakes have tool free adjustments like the bb7 I assume the fixed pad is awkward to get at because the hub motor means you cant poke an allen key in from the non disc side maybe you need to cut down a allen key to allow easier access and adjustments?
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Was hoping there was a tool already made
Old 06-16-19, 07:12 PM
alcjphil

Switch to hydraulics isn't an option. But thanks for your input. I'm not in the position to do anything like that. The only solution would have been to have a tool. I can't do any modifications to the bikes
I can understand that this may not be a viable option for reasons that you have not explained. Could you please tell us why you cannot do that. It might prompt other useful suggestions
Old 06-16-19, 07:15 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not my bike to modify. It's a company bike.
Not that's it's physically impossible, it's just, that bike with that modification won't be allowed.
Old 06-16-19, 07:45 PM
alcjphil

It's not my bike to modify. It's a company bike.
Not that's it's physically impossible, it's just, that bike with that modification won't be allowed.
So, what is the thinking of the company? Do they think that it is cheaper to allow their bikes to be ridden in a possibly unsafe state and deal with possible lawsuits than to fix the problem? Ford tried that with the Pinto
Old 06-20-19, 07:16 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
So, what is the thinking of the company? Do they think that it is cheaper to allow their bikes to be ridden in a possibly unsafe state and deal with possible lawsuits than to fix the problem? Ford tried that with the Pinto
There is no problem. I was just looking for a tool to make my life easier.
Old 06-21-19, 07:07 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
This thread is a perfect example of someone not getting a straight answer to a simple question...with some replies even being a bit and needlessly snarky. (shakes head). I dont get it.

OP: I have a similar situation and rather than 1) replacing a perfectly suitable factory braking system simply to facilitate routine service, or 2) visiting a largely dis-interested LBS for this easy DIY maintenance item, I simply followed another posters suggestion and cut down an allen wrench for this very use.

Problem solved and good luck.
Old 06-25-19, 07:42 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
This thread is a perfect example of someone not getting a straight answer to a simple question...with some replies even being a bit and needlessly snarky. (shakes head). I dont get it.

OP: I have a similar situation and rather than 1) replacing a perfectly suitable factory braking system simply to facilitate routine service, or 2) visiting a largely dis-interested LBS for this easy DIY maintenance item, I simply followed another posters suggestion and cut down an allen wrench for this very use.

Problem solved and good luck.
I know right? Like wow a simple question and while I appreciate trying to solve my problem. I just wanted a tool. -.-
So, I 'm guessing getting a allen wrench thats shaped like an L and cut it so that it'll fit within the gap. You got a picture I can see of yours?
Old 06-25-19, 09:18 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
I know right? Like wow a simple question and while I appreciate trying to solve my problem. I just wanted a tool. -.-
So, I 'm guessing getting a allen wrench thats shaped like an L and cut it so that it'll fit within the gap. You got a picture I can see of yours?

I used a side cutter (die cutter) with a cut off disc for this.