Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Built Up Many Bikes Now I Have a Disability But Still Do When I Am Able!

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 08-10-19, 08:47 PM
TomAllyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I've never been a professional Bike mechanic but I've always been fascinated by bikes and bike building. I've been numerous bikes from frames and restored numerous more. Now I'm 56-years-old and have permanent nerve damage in my dominant hand and arm. Even typing is painful. Some days I cannot do much on my own. I still occasionally work on and now occasionally mid-drive e-bikes. I'm in the middle of an e-bike bike build now and do to the nerve damage in my hand I am pretty sure I finally to try a 4th hand tool for brake, gear cables, zip ties. I know many amateur and professional mechanics have 4th hand tools they seldom or never use and I never did but think due to my disability need to try because I'm finding I cannot hold cables to adjust brake and such as I used to and that's why I am here.

TomAllyn (Pronounced Tom Allen) Allyn is my middle name.
Old 08-10-19, 10:27 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear of your disability, but glad you are carrying on as best you can. Keep posting. I look forward to seeing pics of some of your builds once you get 10 posts.
Old 08-11-19, 06:50 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Welcome! Hang in there and do visit https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/ and https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/

Old 08-11-19, 07:06 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Hi TomAllyn, welcome to the community. I'm looking forward to seeing your bikes.
Old 08-11-19, 04:25 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Welcome to bike forums! Sorry about the nerve damage, but good for you doing the best you can with it. I was hit by a car when I was 23, 1991, and it was not good. The most significant injury was traumatic brain injury and living with it 28 years has been problematic. But I also do the best I can. In 1999, I crashed a second motorcycle; most significant injury that time was a broken neck. After 17 years, I got back into bikes. But my balance is not what it was, probably a delayed brain injury issue. In 2017, I broke my hip in a mountain bike accident; could not walk, so they replaced my hip. Riding after surgery was painful, but I did it anyway – almost 5,000 miles in 2018. I’ve been assembling and modifying adult tricycles last couple years, and the most helpful information I found on the internet was via bike forums. For that reason, I joined. Glad you did too…

BTW, a 4th hand tool would be nice. My tools are bottom of the line, and the selection is minimal. For a 4th hand tool, I often use locking pliers.
Old 08-12-19, 09:14 AM
TomAllyn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear of your disability, but glad you are carrying on as best you can. Keep posting. I look forward to seeing pics of some of your builds once you get 10 posts.
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Welcome! Hang in there and do visit...
Originally Posted by rseeker
Hi TomAllyn, welcome to the community. I'm looking forward to seeing your bikes.
Originally Posted by beach_cycle
Welcome to bike forums! Sorry about the nerve damage, but good for you doing the best you can with it. I was hit by a car when I was 23, 1991, and it was not good. The most significant injury was traumatic brain injury and living with it 28 years has been problematic. But I also do the best I can. In 1999, I crashed a second motorcycle; most significant injury that time was a broken neck. After 17 years, I got back into bikes. But my balance is not what it was, probably a delayed brain injury issue. In 2017, I broke my hip in a mountain bike accident; could not walk, so they replaced my hip. Riding after surgery was painful, but I did it anyway – almost 5,000 miles in 2018. I’ve been assembling and modifying adult tricycles last couple years, and the most helpful information I found on the internet was via bike forums. For that reason, I joined. Glad you did too…

Wow, I don't know that I'd keep riding after all of that!

BTW, a 4th hand tool would be nice. My tools are bottom of the line, and the selection is minimal. For a 4th hand tool, I often use locking pliers.
Thank you all for the warm welcome. If I can find pics of previous builds I will post them once I have 10 posts. If I can't when I'm finished with the current build I'll be sure to take pics and post them.

Last edited by TomAllyn; 08-12-19 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For TomAllyn:
Old 08-12-19, 08:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Welcome from SoCal.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-12-19, 09:49 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Hello and welcome! We have adaptive cycling here! https://www.bikeforums.net/adaptive-...t-other-needs/
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.