Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Old 09-06-17, 06:59 AM
JDinTulsa

Bikes: Priority Continuum; Azuki Gran Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Temp in the mid 50's this morning! Sooooo nice not to be drenched in sweat when I got to work!
Old 09-06-17, 07:00 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It certainly felt like autumn this morning! 50F/10C as I left the house . Really nice commute, except my hands did get a little chilly. :-(
Old 09-06-17, 07:24 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Fall hit here in Sioux Falls this week as well. 45F this morning. Thankfully yesterday's strong wind died down to about a 10 mph breeze.

Went for a run in the cool air, then came back home to shower and prepare for the ride. Discovered my son is sick and going to stay home from the 2nd day of school. Rode to work.

My diet this summer has been absolutely terrible and I gained back 30 of the 60 pound I'd lost more than a year ago. I've noticed the last few days that my once loose pants are now getting snug. I need to get my eating back in line. I know what I need to do, I just need to execute. But it's pretty hard when I'm sitting at work hungry and they bring out the donuts.
Old 09-06-17, 07:27 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
But it's pretty hard when I'm sitting at work hungry and they bring out the donuts.
Krispy Kreme is the root of all evil.
Old 09-06-17, 08:04 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Holy it's-still-summer batman! 49F this morning - had to go to the other clothes drawer. I'll take the cold - so glad I don't live in Florida any more
Old 09-06-17, 09:40 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
57F; orange moon, red sun, ash falling from the sky like snow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sunrise 2017-09-06.jpg (95.9 KB, 56 views)
orange moon.jpg (68.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 09-06-17, 09:47 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Last night's ride home was carefully calibrated to fit in between two lines of showers. It almost worked, too, except the rain hit half a mile from the house. I had on a loud jersey with all kinds of lights that I mostly didn't need.

Beautiful morning for a ride, but I went to see the cardiologist instead. Good news there, makes up for missing a beautiful riding day.
Old 09-06-17, 10:53 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Last night's ride home was carefully calibrated to fit in between two lines of showers. It almost worked, too, except the rain hit half a mile from the house. I had on a loud jersey with all kinds of lights that I mostly didn't need.

Beautiful morning for a ride, but I went to see the cardiologist instead. Good news there, makes up for missing a beautiful riding day.
I always ride my bicycle to my cardiologist appointments, just to symbolically thumb my nose at my congenital heart condition.

As part of their standard check-in questionnaire they always ask me, "Do you feel well enough to walk to the exam room, or would you like a wheelchair?" I hold up my bike helmet and say, "I think I'm good to walk."

One of these days I'm going to get up the guts to ask for a wheelchair and then put my helmet on as they wheel me down the hall.
Old 09-06-17, 12:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Not really a commute. Rode out to the airport to pick up my folks' car. They had an early flight. I rode out, got threw my bike in the back, and drove it back to downtown. I'll reverse the route next week when they fly back.

Oh, and had a couple of Strava top-10s without really trying. So that was something.
Old 09-06-17, 01:54 PM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
I always ride my bicycle to my cardiologist appointments, just to symbolically thumb my nose at my congenital heart condition.

As part of their standard check-in questionnaire they always ask me, "Do you feel well enough to walk to the exam room, or would you like a wheelchair?" I hold up my bike helmet and say, "I think I'm good to walk."

One of these days I'm going to get up the guts to ask for a wheelchair and then put my helmet on as they wheel me down the hall.

Love the visual! If they had a wheelchair with the fluid bag hanger, you could hang the helmet up high!

To clarify, I usually do ride to early morning appointments like 7:30 dentist appointments. However, our locker room and showers are closed for cleaning for an hour starting at 9:30. Had I cycled in, I'd have arrived right about ... 9:30. Easier to take the long way home tonight.
Old 09-06-17, 02:45 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Hardyweindberg That look famiiar. It is not as thick of smoke but still makes a difference with the erie orange glow from the sun through the smoke

I have no teaching jobs yet, despite applying for 30+ postings in the last 3 months. I will just have to wait until I get called out to sub.

Though I got a call from a former colleague at the pharmaceutical company who has over to town here and wanted to know if I wanted to hop on board to the medical marijuana producer in town. I gave it a bit of thought and submitted my resume on Friday. I got a call last evening from the HR guy wondering how my resume ended up with him and wanted to talk. So I chatted with him for a while this mornin; he's going to set up an interview with the CSO for later this week. I figure I need to check out all of my options.
Old 09-06-17, 06:17 PM
sidpools

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ride in this morning was great - perfect weather, felt good. Then I got in my office and realized I forgot to pack my pants. So I rode back, showered, dressed, and drove to work.
Old 09-07-17, 05:08 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Another nice commute this am with the temp at 60 f degrees. The rain had just stopped somewhere between waking up (4:40 am) and leaving the house (5:15 am). Though I was planning on riding anyway due to the fact that I knew the rain would stop and it will be nice out later today.

When I was almost at work just before turning in the driveway for the company, the sewer cover was off the sewer. I pointed to a truck so he would not hit the empty hole. He was very nice and stopped to put the cover back on and I helped by watching so no one would hit him.
Old 09-07-17, 06:26 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Perfect weather for commute today. Hardly any wind. Slightly wet roads and cool temps.

Originally Posted by sidpools
My ride in this morning was great - perfect weather, felt good. Then I got in my office and realized I forgot to pack my pants. So I rode back, showered, dressed, and drove to work.

For the first 5 minutes of my morning commute, I always panic that I may have forgotten my pants. Or my shirt. Or my underwear. Or my wallet. Or my ID card. So, those 5 minutes are spent recalling what I was doing 5 minutes prior to starting from home.
Old 09-07-17, 06:43 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A bit cool at 51F this morning. I'm a little chilled at my desk now and glad I left a sweatshirt stashed in my drawer.

I left home almost 10 minutes later than normal so had to shortcut one of my longer options. Somehow I managed to average a faster speed at 17.5mph. Usually I'm more like 16ish.
Old 09-07-17, 07:26 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's getting cold here

@sidpools I randomly forget enough times that I permanently keep two complete spare changes of clothes at work. In case I forget to replenish the spare after forgetting my shirt.
Old 09-07-17, 09:03 AM
pdlamb

Chilly this morning at 49F. I went digging for a slightly warmer but still short sleeve jersey, and found a Wisconsin moo cow jersey I hadn't worn all year. (Why does a brewery put a cow on a jersey to advertise itself??)

Strange summer, I think we made it through without hitting 100F in the land of cotton. Weekly fronts passing through helped a lot, and made the farmers happy. Wait, did I just jinx the century in 9 days??
Old 09-07-17, 09:42 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

60F. West wind supposed to blow the smoke away, but hasn't happened yet.
Attached Images
sunrise 2017-09-07.jpg (86.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-07-17, 10:52 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
In the 50s this morning. Wore my cycling jacket for the first time since March. Nice full moon to smile down on me.
Old 09-07-17, 12:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
Breezy and cool. I didn't need a jacket or anything. I had a tail wind most of the way to work, so that's nice.

For the first mile, I had the box o' crap strapped to my front rack. It's a 24-pound box of bike stuff that the folks in the Classic & Vintage pass around by mail, just for fun. I also had front panniers on. I rode to the post office to send it to the next person on the queue. I could barely lift my bike up the stairs to the post office. Also, riding through traffic with all that weight on the front was pretty tricky, but I made it OK.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-07-17, 12:17 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by joeyduck
Though I got a call from a former colleague at the pharmaceutical company who has over to town here and wanted to know if I wanted to hop on board to the medical marijuana producer in town. I gave it a bit of thought and submitted my resume on Friday. I got a call last evening from the HR guy wondering how my resume ended up with him and wanted to talk. So I chatted with him for a while this mornin; he's going to set up an interview with the CSO for later this week. I figure I need to check out all of my options.
Agribusiness, excellent! Good luck w/ that and/or the sub gigs.
Old 09-07-17, 01:17 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forest fire smoke is back and with it comes the "apocalypse now" sun. Like a red rubber ball.
Fewer commuters than usual too.
Old 09-07-17, 09:52 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah the smoke is thick again, those are some amazing photos @HardyWeinberg.
@timvan_78 It is nice that the summer vacationers are gone and the dock is more empty.

Here are some photos from the last few days. A few of the scenery, one of a neighbors cat on my shoulder while I had the phone interview, my MILs biggest tomato yet, seals on a log boom, first day of school, and birthday cake! I can't seem to attach file successfully using the editor (the files from my phone are too large) so I do this.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZR2rCL3gfGQejqK12

I hope everyone stays dry and safe with this storm bearing down. I've heard a few comparisons to Andrew 25 years ago. I remember that hitting us with big rains in upstate NY.
Old 09-08-17, 05:08 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
A very nice commute this morning with the full moon in the sky. I always want to go on full moon hikes but now I guess full moon bike rides can sub in nicely. I did see a black cat walking across a field also this am.
Old 09-08-17, 05:59 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A little warmer this morning.. still had to pack a short sleeve for tonight. It's that time of year to double pack! Rolled over 2k for the year yesterday, shooting for 3k for the year. Finally replaced the squeeky Bell seat with a $10 used Schwinn. 100% more comfortable also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.