Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

So what's happening here?

Old 02-13-19, 03:54 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Let me update you all on my surgery, while I have you.

I'm home. The surgery was this morning. It took much longer than expected, an hour and a half, because there were some minor complications. The surgeon is going to call me later today with details. He said, briefly (and I was groggy from the anesthesia when he spoke to me) that the bone had "mineralized" and was soft. He had to remove some bone and "rearrange" some ligaments (peronious brevis, the big one). He inserted one screw. I'm in the boot now. He told me I can 'tolerate weight bearing", but do NOT over do it. Keep the foot elevated and ice it! Recovery and rehab? I don't know yet.

I went into this close to form and quite strong. I got to ride with @Racer Ex at Hellyer yesterday, such a treat that was. Cold as it was, I actually rode pretty well (and Ex was on a new bike, a beautiful Argon18).

So, now to healing up and then.....

...wait and see!
Old 02-13-19, 04:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
I new a hunting dog was going to get into the discussion.
Old 02-13-19, 04:14 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Hermes
I new a hunting dog was going to get into the discussion.
Right?
Old 02-13-19, 05:37 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Assuming you pretty much know what you are doing, have the right equipment, are a good shot, etc. How important is a rabbit dog/dogs to the process?
In my county in TX there no "closed season or bag limit" on rabbits and hares.
They are considered nuisance pests that can do a great deal of damage to a vegetable garden if not "controlled" by one means or other, one of those means is convert to them to a tasty organic meal.
As you can see from the recipe above it only takes one good sized bunny to make a proper meal. We don't kill more than we can eat immediately and/or freeze.
A good bag = 2 prime healthy specimens taken with recipes in mind and friends/family to feed a special meal to.
Knowing where, when and how to hunt rabbits is one of the most "sure" to bag hunting activities and a good one to teach kids the art, ethics and techniques of hunting properly.

A well trained dog can, depending on breed and training, point, retrieve or harry rabbits in the field and be useful partners as well as getting the work in that satisfies the breed's bred-in behavior characteristics.
Proper field work with a human makes for well adjusted, well exercised and satisfied working breeds in my experience.
My dog Max, a ~30Lb American Rat Terrier mix, would have been an excellent field dog if I had trained him from puppy-hood to the task, which I did not do.
Smart, quick, athletic, dogged (sorry) and relentless he has a "job" at home doing rodent control which satisfies both of us but could have been turned to field work early on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Terrier

-Bandera
Old 02-13-19, 05:42 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by sarals
...wait and see!
Will do, and best wished for a quick, strong recovery and back "on track" (sorry).....

-Bandera
Old 02-13-19, 06:03 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
In my county in TX there no "closed season or bag limit" on rabbits and hares.
They are considered nuisance pests that can do a great deal of damage to a vegetable garden if not "controlled" by one means or other, one of those means is convert to them to a tasty organic meal.
As you can see from the recipe above it only takes one good sized bunny to make a proper meal. We don't kill more than we can eat immediately and/or freeze.
A good bag = 2 prime healthy specimens taken with recipes in mind and friends/family to feed a special meal to.
Knowing where, when and how to hunt rabbits is one of the most "sure" to bag hunting activities and a good one to teach kids the art, ethics and techniques of hunting properly.

A well trained dog can, depending on breed and training, point, retrieve or harry rabbits in the field and be useful partners as well as getting the work in that satisfies the breed's bred-in behavior characteristics.
Proper field work with a human makes for well adjusted, well exercised and satisfied working breeds in my experience.
My dog Max, a ~30Lb American Rat Terrier mix, would have been an excellent field dog if I had trained him from puppy-hood to the task, which I did not do.
Smart, quick, athletic, dogged (sorry) and relentless he has a "job" at home doing rodent control which satisfies both of us but could have been turned to field work early on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Terrier

-Bandera
Rats? Did you mention rats?

I have been working with my doxie on rabbit field trialing and also Earthdog which is pursuing rats in below-ground dens. She’s pretty good at both tasks and is getting better the more I work with her.

Actually hunting with her is impractical though, given our concentration of coyote and rattlesnake. She really likes sticking her head into ground squirrel burrows and trying to dig them out. Once the weather warms up, the rattlesnake risk will be too high to let that continue.

I really would like a dead eviscerated rabbit- cottontail or jack- to train with. Anywhere we have rabbit, we also have mucho ground squirrels. A dead rabbit (which I would freeze when done training to use repeatedly) would be helpful to reinforce the concept of what quarry we’re interested in. Being a doxie, she can’t see over the grasses/brush very well, so the ground squirrel scent trails are more naturally self-reinforcing. She can get her head down into the ground squirrel burrow, smell em, hear em, sometimes see em. The bunnies are a huge mystery, if we flush one even three feet away, she doesn’t even see it, being only six inches tall.

A friend with a dead roadkill jackrabbit came to town to work with us and that really helped.

So I’ve asked a couple of friends to kill me a rabbit. One an avid beagle-running rabbit hunter and the other an avid bow hunter who owns a commercial hunting ranch. Both say “no problemo” but then no rabbit is forthcoming. I was wondering if maybe it’s a harder task than I imagine or maybe just the wrong season. I have zippedty squat practical experience with rabbit hunting.

PS if anyone comes up fresh rabbit roadkill, keep me in mind. Not a maggoty rotten rabbit, but one that is freshly dead would be most welcome.
Old 02-13-19, 06:45 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I would see securing a dead rabbit / killing a live one a job for Mr. H. Texas is the place to do it. I suspect there are rabbit hunts with equipment, dogs and transportation supplied. He can bring back a dead rabbit and ship back several frozen. Or the two of you plus doxie go on a rabbit hunt in Texas.
Old 02-13-19, 06:56 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Also, when I ran the development company in the 90s, we had an oil and gas partner and we had an office in Houston. The oil and gas company would organize a dove hunting extravaganza. They would helo hunters into the field with dogs, bird boys, plenty of automatic shotguns / ammo and porters and the hunters would spend several days dove hunting. Each hunter would have two auto shotguns because the muzzles would heat up and then the hunter would switch shotguns. Guys would come back with very sore shoulders from firing so many rounds. And any outing in Texas would have to include copious amounts of alcohol. The goal was not to shoot the dogs or the bird boys. Cheney shot someone in the face on a Texas dove hunt.
Old 02-13-19, 07:08 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I have asked Mr H to shoot me a rabbit. He has a shotgun and some hand guns but he is mostly a military sharpshooter kind of guy, not a hunter. He doesn’t know how to bag a rabbit either. I was asking him what kind of gun to use, if we had that gun, if he could do it and he really didn’t know. I could see that being pretty inefficient.

@Hermes looks like y’all are in for a spot of weather:

“Category Five Major Pacific Storm XAVIER Intensifies On Thursday; High Flood Risk Over a Widespread Area South and East of Los Angeles; Flood Warnings....Widespread 3-6″ rainfall marks will be expected in the warning area, especially Orange, The Inland Empire, and the San Diego zones. Over 7+ inches will be expected on the south and western slopes of the San Bernardino, Riverside, and San Diego Mountains as well. “

Old 02-14-19, 09:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

At least Mr. H knows how to handle weapons. Too bad about his lack of hunting skills.

We are getting rain and wind at the coast but it is typical for us this time of year. However, Fiesta will become a mud hole. The mountains are going to get a lot of rain. I am setting up the indoor peloton.
Old 02-14-19, 12:37 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Also, when I ran the development company in the 90s, we had an oil and gas partner and we had an office in Houston. The oil and gas company would organize a dove hunting extravaganza. They would helo hunters into the field with dogs, bird boys, plenty of automatic shotguns / ammo and porters and the hunters would spend several days dove hunting. Each hunter would have two auto shotguns because the muzzles would heat up and then the hunter would switch shotguns. Guys would come back with very sore shoulders from firing so many rounds. And any outing in Texas would have to include copious amounts of alcohol. The goal was not to shoot the dogs or the bird boys. Cheney shot someone in the face on a Texas dove hunt.
Dove season gets pretty crazy around my area, NE of San Antonio. I had a few pellets bounce off me riding through some farm fields last fall. Heard a couple distant shots, then heard some leaves rustling as shot went through the tree line to my left, then had a few bounce off my left shoulder/helmet. Thoughts of Greg Lemond rushing through my head.
Old 02-14-19, 01:06 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Dove season gets pretty crazy around my area, NE of San Antonio. I had a few pellets bounce off me riding through some farm fields last fall. Heard a couple distant shots, then heard some leaves rustling as shot went through the tree line to my left, then had a few bounce off my left shoulder/helmet. Thoughts of Greg Lemond rushing through my head.
Since cyclists are not dogs, porters or bird boys, I think they are fair game during Texas dove season.
Old 02-15-19, 05:11 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Hell no.
I'm long retired from competition, still keep on cycling in an Old School vibe 51 years after taking up the sport and have Zero interest in diluting whatever conversation we can have with an elder-ish gen-pop that has no common experience in racing bicycles.

Topics of Interest:
A) Preparing for Worlds Track Competition
or
2) What Hybrid bike is "Best" for my MUP

Cheese and Chalk.
Let the sub-forum Masters Racing (All Disciplines) be Silent, if that is how it goes.

-Bandera
Pretty interesting that you stated this yet later on in this same thread you participate in a conversation about race cars and rabbit hunting.
I guess older people cannot have valid opinions on race cars and hunting unless they are able to pedal a bicycle slightly faster than the norm
Old 02-15-19, 05:40 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by downhillmaster

Pretty interesting that you stated this yet later on in this same thread you participate in a conversation about race cars and rabbit hunting.
I guess older people cannot have valid opinions on race cars and hunting unless they are able to pedal a bicycle slightly faster than the norm
Those are conversations that I was having with my peers from the bicycle racing community in the Masters Racing (All Disciplines) BF sub-forum.
Oddly enough we are not one dimensional in our interests and have conversations, especially in winter, that are not strictly related to bike racing or training.
The Masters Racing (All Disciplines) on BF has developed into a bit of a community with experience in various disciplines of bike racing being central to the posters here, but not to the exclusion of all else.
Please join in and share your experiences in racing and training in whichever discipline of the sport you participate in as a Masters class rider or retired racer of a certain age, new voices are always welcome..

As far as the second sentence of your post goes I'll refrain from a response.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 02-15-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 05:35 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

My, do I not have a "dog in this hunt" (conversation)...

However...

​​​​​​I'm right there with what @Racer Ex went through two years ago with his foot. Loosing mobility sort of sux. If only it had been my left foot, and not my right. I could have at least been able to drive. If I could have made it to my car, that is.
Old 02-17-19, 06:58 PM
Bandera
~>~

@sarals how are you occupying your recovery time?
Binge-watching all of the old episodes of Whirlybirds, reading Jane Austin novels or playing high stakes poker with a dubious crowd of low-lifes?

PS: Note who the son in this episode is.
Hint:The Magnificent 7 and The Man From Uncle........

-Bandera
Old 02-17-19, 07:06 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@sarals how are you occupying your recovery time?
Binge-watching all of the old episodes of Whirlybirds, reading Jane Austin novels or playing high stakes poker with a dubious crowd of low-lifes?

PS: Note who the son in this episode is.
Hint:The Magnificent 7 and The Man From Uncle........

-Bandera

Noted! Loved "The Magnificent Seven", by the way.

Close!

I've been perusing YouTube, for sure. Lot's of mountain bike videos on there I've been viewing (better them than me). I've also been Facebooking "Tracksprinters", "Velo Sports Center", "Hellyer User Group", my team's page (they're holding the annual team camp right now), and doing...taxes.

It's a bit of a race to see what occurs first - me running out of things to look at on the net, or finally being able to get around the house.

I love a challenge. Yeah...

Old 02-17-19, 07:25 PM
Bandera
~>~

Noted! Loved "The Magnificent Seven", by the way.
A landmark film in so many ways especially in how accurate and sensitive director John Sturges and writer William Roberts were to translate the Akira Kurosawa original to the North America of another era while preserving the structure, pacing, characters and essence of the original.

The 2016 re-make by director Antoine Fuqua is an epic fail for not getting any of what made the original(s) so sublime and important.

PS: Recover well and be Fast.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 02-17-19 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 07:56 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
My, do I not have a "dog in this hunt" (conversation)...

However...

I'm right there with what @Racer Ex went through two years ago with his foot. Loosing mobility sort of sux. If only it had been my left foot, and not my right. I could have at least been able to drive. If I could have made it to my car, that is.
Heal fast Sara
Old 02-17-19, 07:57 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Those are conversations that I was having with my peers from the bicycle racing community in the Masters Racing (All Disciplines) BF sub-forum.
Oddly enough we are not one dimensional in our interests and have conversations, especially in winter, that are not strictly related to bike racing or training.
The Masters Racing (All Disciplines) on BF has developed into a bit of a community with experience in various disciplines of bike racing being central to the posters here, but not to the exclusion of all else.
Please join in and share your experiences in racing and training in whichever discipline of the sport you participate in as a Masters class rider or retired racer of a certain age, new voices are always welcome..

As far as the second sentence of your post goes I'll refrain from a response.

-Bandera
But sir, I am one dimensional now... Round is a dimension right?
Did a, as @Heathpack and @sarals knows, a TSTLP the other day. My fat2power number is strong. :-(
Old 02-18-19, 01:20 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

A landmark film in so many ways especially in how accurate and sensitive director John Sturges and writer William Roberts were to translate the Akira Kurosawa original to the North America of another era while preserving the structure, pacing, characters and essence of the original.

The 2016 re-make by director Antoine Fuqua is an epic fail for not getting any of what made the original(s) so sublime and important.

PS: Recover well and be Fast.

-Bandera
Agree on all counts! The original Magnificent Seven was a triumph, a seminal film. It held so true to Kurosawa's work. The remake was really an insult, a real "why bother".

I see the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns - "Once Upon a Time in the West", "A Fistful of Dollars", "For a Few Dollars More", and the epic "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" in much the same light. Ground breaking. highly stylized, fast paced, wonderful stories, now iconic, with terrific sound tracks. I can and do watch them over and over!
Old 02-18-19, 01:22 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Heal fast Sara
IBO! Channeling that "Healing Energy", and trying to control the stir crazy boredom! Hey, I've been here before. It seems to be the mantra and a necessity for a high level athlete to go through this. "What doesn't kill you..."

Old 02-18-19, 02:00 PM
Bandera
~>~

Agree on all counts! The original Magnificent Seven was a triumph, a seminal film. It held so true to Kurosawa's work. The remake was really an insult, a real "why bother".

I see the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns - "Once Upon a Time in the West", "A Fistful of Dollars", "For a Few Dollars More", and the epic "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" in much the same light. Ground breaking. highly stylized, fast paced, wonderful stories, now iconic, with terrific sound tracks. I can and do watch them over and over!
I also watch & re-watch Sergio Leone's films and should buy the film's scores by Morricone, instantly recognizable and so perfect in mood setting.
Of course Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" was the basis for " A Fist Full of Dollars". Must re-watch "Yojimbo".

It's the 50th anniversary of "The Wild Bunch" by Sam Peckinpah, watched again it for the 1st time in years this weekend.
Grounded breaking, clearly not for every audience, but an amazing film.

I also rode a bicycle yesterday, of all things.
Winter mode = Off.
Early Spring mode = On.
Out in the 68F temps in very windy conditions onto the hillier terrain to ride a consistent cadence and put some load on the legs.
That will likely be the recipe for the rest of this season, one that I have no complaint with.

-Bandera
Old 02-18-19, 02:24 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

This is what I'm doing. I'm about a month and half early on the serious injury this year. That's a little more time to recovery and rebuild! But, I am a year older.

Old 02-18-19, 03:00 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Fortunately, you are a year older. As the cliche goes, the alternative is worse.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.