Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need advice on options for Custom Bike Paint - Choosing Color(s)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-09-18, 07:51 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So, I have a custom bike that is ready to be painted. This is a small, but national brand and they are growing bigtime. I don't want to name names at this point ... just to stay neutral in that area. However ... here is my struggle:

I really wanted a very very bright "in-your-face" eye-popping RED ... but one that is pearlescent with a lot of flakes and "depth" to it. Much like you would see using a "Candy Apple Red" color on the old 50, 60, and 70's Hot Rods out there.

So, the issue is that he hasn't been able to come up with a RED that is what I was originally interested in. I'm using House of Kolor to try and help him as much as I can come up with something that works. Again, I do NOT want a FLAT red color like my truck. But, something that is very bright red (similar to the very bright red Mustangs or Toyota Tundra trucks which is what I have) ... but with a lot of depth.

Is this truly not possible?

He has tried all kinds of things ... he typically paints a base color that is either lighter or dark and flat. For example, he'll paint with a base of Gold or Silver or Platinimum and then apply the actual color ... and several coats of it before applying the clear coat.

I LOVE the Candy Apple Red that he first did and sent me a sample carbon tube with it. But, it isn't what I was originally hoping for. Then, he worked on a lighter red but still using a pearlescent / flakes red/orange color and sent me that sample. But, to be honest, side by side in the bright light or sun, they aren't all that different. So, leaning toward just going w/ the Candy Apple Red since it is really nice especially on bright days.

Here's a PIC side-by-side:
https://woodcycl.com/cycling/Two%20cu...0by%20side.jpg

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas are welcome. We'll probably be making the decision in the next 24 hours (from 10p EST 4/9/2018). But, I thought I'd make a quick post for anyone "in the know" about custom painting on bike frames.

He's an amazing and very unique bike painter ... that is his fortay. So, it may be just me that isn't knowledgeable about paint and options.

Thanks for any input!
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 04-09-18, 09:12 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
houseofkolor.com/company/?ref=topnav

Wow. 'ol Jon has really aged since he came to Van on a lecture tour all those years ago. Lol..as have we all.

Dunno' what to tell you if the painter can't obtain "depth" with HoK paints as the Imron and Durathane I used to spray won't either.
Of course, they're all water based now which is good, painters won't end up all like me.
Old 04-09-18, 10:34 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
That candy on the right looks good to me, but maybe as you say it does not matter in the sun.
Old 04-10-18, 04:32 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like you say, the color looks fine - seems to me you just want bigger flakes instead of pearlescent (which tends to look kind of dull).
Old 04-10-18, 06:58 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 703 Posts
If your framepainter can't achieve what you're looking for I doubt a bunch of us yahoos on teh internetz are going to be of much help, but what the hell, I'll add to the noise.

When I was doing "candy apple" finishes on model cars 40-something years ago the base layer had to be a dense metal-flake silver or gold. Lots of metal flakes, uniform sized, not too big but dense-packed so you got a consistent even distribution of flake. Almost looked like sandpaper when it dried. But highly reflective sandpaper. And then the top color coats were almost translucent...very thin, only slightly more saturated than a tinted clear. And you had to put several coats of that topcoat on before it started to look like shiny glossy candy.

So that's what I would do if I wanted a candy apple red bike frame. Although I wouldn't trust myself to do that job nowadays, I'd turn it over to a real professional.

Perhaps ironically, the bike frame I own with the most iridescent depth, just incredible 3D metal flaky luster that really pops in sunlight...was powdercoated.
Old 04-10-18, 11:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Having spent a good bit of time looking at house of kolor product books over the last couple months, im surprised what you want cant be done.

They have the base color, a mix to make it 'candy', and another to make it pearlescent.
Old 04-10-18, 12:30 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Having spent a good bit of time looking at house of kolor product books over the last couple months, im surprised what you want cant be done.

They have the base color, a mix to make it 'candy', and another to make it pearlescent.

My thought exactly mstateglfr. However, the candy apple red has grown on me. Typically, I LOVE it ... but on round tubes, it doesn't show off as well, imo, as a flatter surface like the hood of a car. But, we are going to go w/ it on the bike after much thought and conversation.
92' Trek 5200
Old 04-10-18, 05:18 PM
DEW21

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my Shovelhead with HOK candy red(silver base) 20 years ago, still looks good today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shovel 010.jpg (96.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 04-10-18, 05:32 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DEW21
Did my Shovelhead with HOK candy red(silver base) 20 years ago, still looks good today!
Very nice Dew21!!! Makes me sad ... just sold my motorcyle to help pay for our new custom bike!! Tough decision. But, I'll get another one down the road like I've always done.
92' Trek 5200
Old 04-10-18, 06:03 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
It's a bicycle frame. It's a collection of tubes so the "real estate" for color has to be tailored to the canvas.

If you want an eye popping red, you will need to not go as dark as those candies and optimize the flake. Basically the trick if you go candy is to go right past pink when he is applying the layers. If you go deeper into the reds, it will lose the pop and border on burgundy. Light flake on silver, then shot to bright and not a shade darker gets you the pop.

It's rounded surfaces, so you are dealing with a super narrow surface area to catch "all" the light, anything in the recesses goes "dark" and no pop. Lighter is more flashy.

This is my opinion on the matter.
Old 04-10-18, 06:45 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
I've always been partial to the Bassboat red on Schwinn Homegrowns.
Old 04-11-18, 03:29 PM
duane041
Junk Collector

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 2012 Colnago M10, 1990 Schwinn CrissCross

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a painter, one of the issues we face is taking colors that are seen on large 'canvases' and transferring them to tiny, 1 or 2" wide canvases. Bike tubes just don't show colors all that well, particularly anything that has a metallic in it.

Metallic colors exhibit what is known as 'flop'; the color you see when viewing a metallic head-on (so to speak) is called the 'face' of the metallic color. The 'flop' is the same color when viewed at an angle. What your eye sees on a bicycle tube is mostly the 'flop' of the metallic color. So it's not surprising that the candy colors don't look as good as they would on a car door.

I'd go with a straight candy apple red color (there are other candy reds, but they tend to shift to either to blue or too yellow) over either a silver or gold base. The use of different types of metallic base colors (from very fine aluminum to very coarse) will have a direct effect on the candy red that your eye will see. A dusty, fine metallic will produce a richer, more even candy red color with lessees of effect on the face and the flop. A coarse, "Elvis" type metallic base will produce a much darker color on the flop, and a much brighter color on the face. I prefer a fine metallic base, but everyone has their favorites.