Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is walking more difficult than I remember?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is walking more difficult than I remember?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 02:40 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I commute, by bike, to a college campus, where many of the students come from rural areas in which they have never experienced things like a stoplight or crosswalk. Add in a bunch of earbuds and smartphones, as well as limited parking near campus, and it is quite the experience...

I couldn't agree more. Here in the Upper Midwest, though, we are only rude when we get into motor vehicles, and we are polite the rest of the time. You can imagine the looks of shock, horror, and even fear that result when someone who is not in a motor vehicle dishes it back!
+1, I very often dish it back. Followed by recording the licence of the vehicle and calling the police. The police can't do much but a call or interview with them will generally adjust the attitude of the offending driver. I never get repeats from the same ******* after the cops are involved, plus sometimes when they run the plates outstanding warrants come up!
Old 10-11-18, 03:32 PM
ditty bopper

Bikes: TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I trike in and around Detroit and by far the most polite and apologetic (when they're blocking the crosswalk) motorists are the ones whose skin is considerably darker than mine...
Old 10-11-18, 03:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by ditty bopper
FWIW, I trike in and around Detroit and by far the most polite and apologetic (when they're blocking the crosswalk) motorists are the ones whose skin is considerably darker than mine...
I agree with you 100%. The worst characters are usually those that appear they're about to retire/have retired & those that are from the hills up in the northern neck of the woods...
Old 10-11-18, 05:53 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
There will always be a percentage of people who seem clueless. Fortunately, I don't think that is the majority of us.

I've had a number of drivers stop at intersections and wave me on where I had a stop sign and they didn't.
Old 10-11-18, 05:58 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
There will always be a percentage of people who seem clueless. Fortunately, I don't think that is the majority of us.

I've had a number of drivers stop at intersections and wave me on where I had a stop sign and they didn't.
That's what is referred to as a nicehole.
Old 10-11-18, 06:11 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
just yell something positive or a nonsense word. It's not the words it's the volume that gets the attention.yell "CHECKMATE", or something else that you choose
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Pretty sure many of us remember this one -----

Old 10-11-18, 07:08 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
That's what is referred to as a nicehole.
Hadn't heard that one. But yes, when people are that nice it kind of screws with my CHI.
Old 10-12-18, 05:06 AM
Troul 

#Doctor Morbius
Hadn't heard that one. But yes, when people are that nice it kind of screws with my CHI.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=nicehole

Don't let it mess you up by getting ran over from other vehicles in the process..
Old 10-12-18, 05:37 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I'd pay two grand cash for a bike bell that sounded like a train horn.
Old 10-12-18, 06:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax

Why stop there? Voice of God!
Old 10-12-18, 08:52 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
This cost just 1/100th of that. Truck/boat horn.
Old 10-12-18, 10:09 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've had this happen more times than I can count, and it never stops being infuriating.

Once I was on a MUP, fairly congested, walkers, joggers and bikers. A group of people was coming from the other way, on the correct side, but then there's this tiny woman jogging to her left headed right towards me. I couldn't pass between her and the group so I just stopped and told her she needed to jog on the other side, she stopped and started arguing. We were literally - as in actually - standing in front of a sign that stated 'KEEP RIGHT, WARN WHEN PASSING' with a picture of a bike following a jogger following a walker on it. I stood there pointing at it and she argued again some incomprehensible gibberish. Despite this, the jogger insisted I move out of her way. After about 30 long seconds of a standoff, she finally went FURTHER to the left around me into the grass. Strange.

Earbuds are the bane of mankind in MHO. I have followed and had people nearly walk into me just completely zoned out, I'e even made eye contact with a few and yet they still zombie jog or walk right into me. Luckily I've always been stopped. If people insist on wearing these then the need to leave one out or at least keep the volume below 11. I got stuck behind a jogger that had his buds so loud I could hear the music from 5' away. He weaved back and forth on the MUP and despite me literally screaming at him I was going to pass, he was completely unaware I was there. I finally thought he settled into the right side, so I thought and I tried to pass slowly, still yelling I was on his left, he suddenly darted left and ran right right into me. Thankfully we both stopped and no one went down. He popped a bud out and the music was just screaming loud. I admit, I got a bt pissed and yelled that I had been following him for the last 200 feet, and he should give us a break and turn his music down or keep one bud out. He was apologetic, but popped it right back in and was on his way. It could have ended up a lot worse. There was some areas we passed that had a steep bank and someone could have ended up going down it.

It's gonna happen, people are stupid beasts at times, including cyclists. As irritating as it is I'd rather take my chances on a MUP then a street with heavy traffic.
Old 10-14-18, 07:59 PM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
It's gonna happen, people are stupid beasts at times, including cyclists. As irritating as it is I'd rather take my chances on a MUP then a street with heavy traffic.
I agree. If some moron jogger with earbuds darts out into my lane and I hit him, most likely I'll survive and he'll be hurt worse than me, thanks to my greater momentum. I might not even crash. If some moron in a car hits me on a bike, I'm toast.
Old 10-15-18, 01:40 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
No one knows what it's like to be wrong because their feelings have been protected for their whole lives.
This.
Old 10-15-18, 02:46 PM
jjefferies

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One other thing not mentioned in the posts is that riding on the sidewalk is often illegal. Had an officer pull me over one time about it. Just a warning, no ticket. But he very bluntly told me that they do enforce the rule downtown, i.e. where there is a fair amount of or potential for pedestrian traffic.
Old 10-15-18, 02:46 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
This cost just 1/100th of that. Truck/boat horn.

Is that your rig?! If so, more pictures please!
Old 10-15-18, 02:51 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by jjefferies
One other thing not mentioned in the posts is that riding on the sidewalk is often illegal. Had an officer pull me over one time about it. Just a warning, no ticket. But he very bluntly told me that they do enforce the rule downtown, i.e. where there is a fair amount of or potential for pedestrian traffic.
I was in the street for both incidents! It's also illegal to walk in the street when there is a sidewalk, yet thats' the first pedestrian I almost ran into.
Old 10-15-18, 06:20 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by jjefferies
Do those roads have the reasonable accommodation for bicyclists? If not, that would be an easy case to win if ticketed.
Old 10-18-18, 06:07 PM
RobSN

Bikes: Tout Terrain Silkroad Xplore Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll sell you my Airzound for $1,999, thereby giving you a discount (and making a $1,970-ish profit for myself).
https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Air-Zound-115-Horn/dp/B0048C1SBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539907495&sr=8-2&keywords=airzound+bike+horn&dpID=41Fzk-WxypL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Air-Zound-115-Horn/dp/B0048C1SBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539907495&sr=8-2&keywords=airzound+bike+horn&dpID=41Fzk-WxypL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
I've had SUV's with ladies on the phone screech to a halt and look around for the other 16 wheels!