Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I'd rather just not have a bike lane

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I'd rather just not have a bike lane

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 11:47 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
New Orleans went from zero miles of bike lanes to 100+ in ten years...…. A place to exist, more cyclists, less cars. I am not complaining. But I agree. The OP has a legit gripe about that stupidity.
Locally.... we have hundreds of interconnected cycling paths. Mostly rails-to-trails.... and increasingly more and more bicycle "lanes" on the streets too. But the big move towards cycling.... collapsed around here. There was a couple days (beautiful weekend days) when there was plenty of cyclists riding the popular areas on the bike paths. But often I can ride for miles and hours.... and not see another cyclist. The guys at the bike shops admit that gravel bikes have really preserved their business (which has declined in recent years). It could be years before cycling see's another period of popularity. I don't know how many years of non or reduced use the taxpayers will tolerate before the lanes are painted-away.
Old 11-07-18, 09:57 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Locally.... we have hundreds of interconnected cycling paths. Mostly rails-to-trails.... and increasingly more and more bicycle "lanes" on the streets too. But the big move towards cycling.... collapsed around here. There was a couple days (beautiful weekend days) when there was plenty of cyclists riding the popular areas on the bike paths. But often I can ride for miles and hours.... and not see another cyclist. The guys at the bike shops admit that gravel bikes have really preserved their business (which has declined in recent years). It could be years before cycling see's another period of popularity. I don't know how many years of non or reduced use the taxpayers will tolerate before the lanes are painted-away.
Just the opposite here. We have many, many more cyclists in a city that already had it's fair share when we had zero infrastructure. A couple new bike shops have opened, many rental businesses, and a city bike share that is expanding rapidly. Some commutes I see more bikes than cars on the road. It is flat, warm, and never ice on the ground. Except for some minor flooding you can bike to work 365 days, so it is dependable owning a bike only as well.
Old 11-09-18, 06:10 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm thinking that the best route will probably be to get in touch with the advocacy groups and some members of the cycling community who have more political capital than I do. There is snow now, so nothing will happen with the roads until Spring - April or May around here.

Originally Posted by dedhed
The map is pretty accurate, but the list of projects is pretty amusing. Some of these were done in 2017. Others, like the Neighborhood Greenway, have been on the docket seemingly forever. My new favorite street is not on the list. Looks like Randy is the man to complain to.
Old 11-10-18, 05:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Update: The bike lane issue made the local news!
https://www.news8000.com/news/cyclis...ures/854214517

I'm not sure who the "local residents" were that supported the road design. I live in the neighborhood, and AFAIK, there was not a public forum or anything like that.
Old 11-10-18, 05:45 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Looking at the Wisconsin designs, we have the same problems and road constrictions being built for us in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I think bike lanes are good if they are easy to follow and simple to understand - straight lines without unnecessary gaps and dithers. If the amount of attention it takes to determine the correct cycling path is greater than that required to ride in a lane shared with traffic using one's vigilance, then the bike lane does not improve safety.
Old 11-10-18, 07:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Update: The bike lane issue made the local news!
https://www.news8000.com/news/cyclis...ures/854214517

I'm not sure who the "local residents" were that supported the road design. I live in the neighborhood, and AFAIK, there was not a public forum or anything like that.
The "local residents" were the politicians who proposed and passed the measure.