Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2020 TREK FX3 Pictures

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2020 TREK FX3 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-19, 07:34 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
2020 TREK FX3 USA Personal Pictures

Last edited by Rick53; 08-07-19 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 08:05 AM
Sialala

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc 2020

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got same bike 2 weeks ago. My first proper bike (aka: not a 20kg steel bike with cheapest parts available) and loving it so far. Bit weird with the gears (the change between front gears is huge and I usually have to go up 2 gears on front to compensate when changing to lower gear on the front), but I guess I'll get used to it eventually.
Did 20 mile ride on my first day and it felt so good.

How does it compare to 2019 FX3? I was thinking about buying it, but since my local shop had 2020 version in stock, I went for it.
Old 08-07-19, 08:23 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by Sialala
I got same bike 2 weeks ago. My first proper bike (aka: not a 20kg steel bike with cheapest parts available) and loving it so far. Bit weird with the gears (the change between front gears is huge and I usually have to go up 2 gears on front to compensate when changing to lower gear on the front), but I guess I'll get used to it eventually.
Did 20 mile ride on my first day and it felt so good.

How does it compare to 2019 FX3? I was thinking about buying it, but since my local shop had 2020 version in stock, I went for it.
You in America?
Old 08-07-19, 08:28 AM
Sialala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ireland.
Fitted baby seat (Hamax) onto it already - kids love the ride too.
Old 08-07-19, 10:28 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Always nice to see pics of shiny new bikes.....are you doing any mods to personalize it?
Old 08-07-19, 11:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I like the color a lot. It's nice to see something other than matte black back on Treks!
Old 08-07-19, 11:36 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Congrats on the new bike! Always nice to see pics of shiny new bikes.....are you doing any mods to personalize it?
Considering a slightly wider more aggressive Tire.

Went with just the wife for a short 6 miler : Traffic was terrible So we took a short cut down a dirt road. Mainly loose gravel. Bike rear tire kept slipping sideways : Trying to go even 10 MPH made control almost impossible. She was riding a Verve 2 and went thru it just fine.

I don't intend on that large of a Tire: I thru on the 40C size that come on a Dual Sport 2 . Handled really good : So I can easily go 40 size wise :

BontragerCX0 Tire,

LT2 Comp or

H5 Hard-Case Ultimate Hybrid Tire All 3 come in 700 X 38C .

Currently the Bike has Bontrager H2 Hard-Case Lite. When I put the knobby 40C tire that comes on the DS 2 .

It handled black top just as fast as My Skinner H2's in 32 did. Bontrager's CX0 has really good reviews from the Cycle Cross guys : They have those in the 33C on Closeout because everyone wants the 35 or 38 size. Makes sense :

I might get a New seat : I put a Selle Royal on My Wife's Bike and She loves it :

Seats aren't really a Priority for me.

These New FX3 shift very smooth and teh weight of teh Bike at least feels much lighter then a DS 2 . Even though Online specs note just a Few Pounds difference : Feels a lot lighter :

The 2020 FX 3 model isn't available in USA yet : They didn't have it on the Floor. When I asked about it that made it ok to show it to me. The LBS Owner said We can't dis[play these until mid Sept :
Old 08-07-19, 12:22 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

My bike has 700x45c "Pavement" tires. I'm actually surprised how well they handle when I come across paths with gravel and/or grass.
They probably add some weight to the bike and slightly slower rolling but if speed is what I want....I have other bikes for that. Besides, I like the Beefier look and with the proper psi they add comfort and traction.

I ride mostly pavement so they work for me. Personally, I wouldn't put on knobbies....but your goals are obviously different then mine.
Old 08-07-19, 03:27 PM
Rick53

Originally Posted by Speedway2
My bike has 700x45c "Pavement" tires. I'm actually surprised how well they handle when I come across paths with gravel and/or grass.
They probably add some weight to the bike and slightly slower rolling but if speed is what I want....I have other bikes for that. Besides, I like the Beefier look and with the proper psi they add comfort and traction.

I ride mostly pavement so they work for me. Personally, I wouldn't put on knobbies....but your goals are obviously different then mine.
You have that Big of tire on an FX?
Old 08-07-19, 03:38 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
They are putting "next service due" stickers on bicycles now? Is it just the ~6mo adjustment after the cables stretch? I'd remove it, but leave the shop sticker if possible.

Nice bike.
Old 08-07-19, 03:52 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by Rick53
You have that Big of tire on an FX?
The 45c's are OEM on my Norco Indie3. Sorry about the confusion.....
Old 08-08-19, 07:27 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by katsup
They are putting "next service due" stickers on bicycles now? Is it just the ~6mo adjustment after the cables stretch? I'd remove it, but leave the shop sticker if possible.

Nice bike.
Already removed it : I do My own maintenance anyway : Kinda basic stuff : I really only posted it because the 2020 FX3 in USA aren't even out yet : The Website people told me mid September : Yet the place I found this had at least 6 . Normally I'd go with Black or dark Grey.

The FX-3 Great for 2020 was sorta Blah
Old 08-12-19, 07:39 AM
Bothrops

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX3, 1988 Raleigh Flashpointe, 2019 Trek Verve +

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Rich,
i have an FX3 that came with the 700X32 H2’s as well. Great on pavement but terrible on crushed limestone screenings. I switched them out for 700X35 Schwalbe G-1 All Arounds. Surprisingly smooth rolling on pavement and more sure footed on loose stuff.
Likes For Bothrops:
Old 08-14-19, 10:45 AM
stuman74

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
How are you liking the FX 3 with more riding? I'm super tempted to grab the one from my LBS. Thanks.
Old 08-14-19, 01:35 PM
Rick53

Originally Posted by stuman74
How are you liking the FX 3 with more riding? I'm super tempted to grab the one from my LBS. Thanks.
Well I like it a lot It shifts super smooth and rides fairly comfortable : My Buddy becasue he weighs 100 pounds more bout the New 2020 Verve 3 : Same parts basically as mine. We went on a 26 mile ride . At the 1/2 way Mark we switched bikes : After riding 5 miles he wanted his Bike back and I didn't want to give it back. After riding that verve 3 . It did everything as smooth as MY FX3 .

But in all sincerity It actually seems like it rolls better : I'm sure that's the bigger tires > It also seem to take less effort to pedal : And you do set more upright : The handle bars are slightly above the seat where the FX slightly below.

I am 63 . Butt I am in good physical Shape. I am really debating strongly about loosing 150.00 and getting the VERVE .

We even swapped Wheels out when we got back home : The FX3 was smoother with the larger tire < The verve however with the 32 tires really flew :
Old 08-15-19, 02:48 AM
Sialala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it was matter of saddle?
The saddle on FX3 is pretty stiff and after first couple of rides I was thinking about changing it. Eventually I actually liked it - as while cycling initially it felt too hard, after those couple of rides my bum didn't feel sore or anything. And it always felt sore on my previous bikes if I rode them after some break.
As more than 90% of my cycling is on a hard surface (asphalt or concrete) I don't feel like changing the tires. I'm 6'3" and my saddle is more-less on a same height as the handlebar (the bike is in XL size) - anyway the position feels great for me. I've tried Giant Escape 1 before buying bike and Trek felt much more comfortable.
On the other hand, I live in Ireland and there are only electric versions of Trek Verve available here, so didn't even bother to try it out.
Old 08-15-19, 08:03 AM
Rick53

The saddle on FX3 is pretty stiff and after first couple of rides I was thinking about changing it. Eventually I actually liked it - as while cycling initially it felt too hard, after those couple of rides my bum didn't feel sore or anything. And it always felt sore on my previous bikes if I rode them after some break.
As more than 90% of my cycling is on a hard surface (asphalt or concrete) I don't feel like changing the tires. I'm 6'3" and my saddle is more-less on a same height as the handlebar (the bike is in XL size) - anyway the position feels great for me. I've tried Giant Escape 1 before buying bike and Trek felt much more comfortable.
On the other hand, I live in Ireland and there are only electric versions of Trek Verve available here, so didn't even bother to try it out.
I think the new Seat on the FX3 isn't bad at all > Even the Newest Verve's have a narrower nose for carrying the package better : I'm not a big fan of padded seats
Old 08-15-19, 09:21 PM
stuman74

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well, here's a couple pics of my FX 3 (XL 22.5 size) as purchased (weighted in at 26.6 lb) and then after transferring most of my other items to it (now weighs 29.2 lb) from the old FX 7.2.

I found that my old pannier rack does not fit since the upper mounts are wider on this newer bike. Really don't want to drop $45 of the Bontrager version that's made for it, but might if I can't find a decent alternative.

Items added/replaced so far:

• Swapped out 32mm H2 Hard Case Lite tires for 38mm H5 Hard Case Ultimate tires
  • Swapped out Satellite City pedals for Wellgo M085 pedals with Zefal half toe clips
  • Swapped out Bontrager H1 saddle for Forte Easy Rider saddle
  • Transferred Topeak Repair kit bag under seat
  • Transferred Ibera Top Tube bag for iPhone/snacks/keys
  • Transferred 2x bottle cages (1 for water bottle, 1 for JBL bluetooth speaker)
  • Transferred front light and mount
  • Transferred DuoTrap S Bluetooth module
Looking forward to testing it out tomorrow!

Last edited by stuman74; 08-16-19 at 04:59 AM.
Likes For stuman74:
Old 08-16-19, 07:04 AM
stuman74

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Question: with only 2 crank rings instead of 3 on my old bike, I'm trying to make sure I select the proper gear combos. Maybe with only 2 it's not as big of a risk for crossing the chain as much to the cassette.

Looking at the Sheldon Brown site and gear calculator, it looks like for this bike the following gears ratios are equivalent (first digit is crank, second digit is cassette):

26 = 19
25 = 18
24 = 17
23 = 16
22 = 15
21 = 14

Assuming I should still minimize crossing, is it recommended to only use combos 29 through 24 and then if I hit a tough hill toggle the crank to use only 16 through 11? Thanks!
Old 08-17-19, 07:46 AM
Rick53

I was in a LBS Yesterday : The sales guy tells me the seats come in sizes : H said the same seat in the correct size would feel better automatically : Apparently seats have a butt width marked on them . Least wise teh better quality seats do : I know for myself I don't care for the nose of the seat to be padded :
Old 08-21-19, 03:49 PM
stuman74

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just about 50 miles on the new FX 3. Been great so far! All loaded up and with my accessories and bags full of gear, comes in right about 35.0 lb now.
Old 08-21-19, 05:58 PM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Oh i am loving it. Especially the black color. My next bike will be black all right. The stack height is enticing for people like me who like more of an upright stance while riding. Double chainring is also a good idea. I have triple right now, and i think it is possible to get all the gears that i have with a double chainring setup with less shifting hassle (considering that the small chainring is the same size as mine or just a tad larger as it has more cogs than mine also)

PS: The bike seems light. The frame tubes are thin. The thinner tubes will have some flex to them, which in turns would make this bike a lot more comfy. I really love the choices they make with it. This is a "does it all" kind of bike imo.

Last edited by Newspaper_Nick; 08-21-19 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 06:27 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 241 Posts
Saw the FX 3 in that awesome red last week at the local Trek dealer. Sharp looking bike!
Old 08-25-19, 07:47 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by stuman74
Just about 50 miles on the new FX 3. Been great so far! All loaded up and with my accessories and bags full of gear, comes in right about 35.0 lb now.
Which rack is that ? While I don't like racks. I have finding the longer ride requires one : Is the Rack Bontrager's?
Old 08-25-19, 08:04 AM
stuman74

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53
Which rack is that ? While I don't like racks. I have finding the longer ride requires one : Is the Rack Bontrager's?
Yes, it is the Bontrager rack. The rack from my 2015 FX 7.2 bike didn't fit the mounts under the seat for this 2020.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

I did (after the fact) look at other storage options for under the top tube instead of adding a rear rack and bag. My main concern has been that my legs might rub against the bag which would be super annoying. Not necessarily this bag, but something that would mount like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S7B7FWV/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.