Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Soma Mini Velo or Mercier Nano?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Soma Mini Velo or Mercier Nano?

Old 05-28-14, 08:41 PM
BadBoy10

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh!!! No! I wanted a fixie!

So far new tires, new white handlebar (riser), straightened thing in the back, changed saddle and pedals to white. As soon as it out of LBS I will post pics...should be this weekend. I have a single speed Rivendell Quickbeam and single Hamilto Beach Cruiser circa early 80's (LOVE).

I always have issues with gears: popping, cant find right gear...it is annoying. Then the tech or a neighborchecks and bike is fine. I had a 10 speed as a child but over the years...singles have been the keepers. I always dump eh sell the gear bikes. Drove a stick shift car for 20 years so unsure why...I am seeing price drops in my area for Bad Boys am thinking of revisiting our on again off again affair. Of course, my goal is to spring for the Brommie. I love the Pacifics and the Moulton's too. Im considering.

Teehee. Bike drooling and contemplating never ends.

Bought a Trek Navigator 3.0 used...sold it within hours. That thing is a tank.

Last edited by BadBoy10; 05-28-14 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 10:34 PM
thugpipe

Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want a fixie minivelo specifically it might be cheaper to do a mixie criss cross which is what I would get if I get a fixie MIXIE Gear Bike CRISSCROSS - MARS but I know how it is when you are already commited to a project.
Old 05-28-14, 10:49 PM
thugpipe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually if you are flexible about color you can get a mixie criss cross for $199 shipped, I might pick one up for that cheap just go to the sale section. I would post a link but the connection in my hotel is super slow.
Old 05-29-14, 05:42 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBoy10

So far new tires, new white handlebar (riser), straightened thing in the back, changed saddle and pedals to white. As soon as it out of LBS I will post pics...should be this weekend. I have a single speed Rivendell Quickbeam and single Hamilto Beach Cruiser circa early 80's (LOVE).

I always have issues with gears: popping, cant find right gear...it is annoying. Then the tech or a neighborchecks and bike is fine. I had a 10 speed as a child but over the years...singles have been the keepers. I always dump eh sell the gear bikes. Drove a stick shift car for 20 years so unsure why...I am seeing price drops in my area for Bad Boys am thinking of revisiting our on again off again affair. Of course, my goal is to spring for the Brommie. I love the Pacifics and the Moulton's too. Im considering.

Teehee. Bike drooling and contemplating never ends.

Bought a Trek Navigator 3.0 used...sold it within hours. That thing is a tank.
You could have just said that you wanted a fixie from the get-go; blaming the bike for your personal issues wasn't right. Yes the spec on the Nano is lousy, but it's not so bad it doesn't shift right.
Old 05-29-14, 08:58 AM
BadBoy10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You could have just said that you wanted a fixie from the get-go; blaming the bike for your personal issues wasn't right. Yes the spec on the Nano is lousy, but it's not so bad it doesn't shift right.
Chaadster:

Your commentary has become increasingly and disgustingly abrasive.

Sadly, though I have ignored your wrath and responded with the utmost politeness..you are escalating.
I read your latest stalkerish lash out...and thought wow...your comments indicate a pathetic level of misery. Get help. Soon. There are several public and private social service agencies available to assist with mental health and self esteem issues.

Do know, mean spirited forum commenters like you run bicycle enthusiasts away from a really great forum. I do wish you the best and hope you seek professional help for your issues.

In the future, ignore me as I will ignore you.

Be well,
Old 05-29-14, 09:07 AM
BadBoy10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thugpipe
If you want a fixie minivelo specifically it might be cheaper to do a mixie criss cross which is what I would get if I get a fixie MIXIE Gear Bike CRISSCROSS - MARS but I know how it is when you are already commited to a project.
OMG!

The JOKER is gorgeous! Thanks Thugpipe! I might pick that one up too! Love the green and purple. I LOVE THIS BIKE! WOW! MIXIE Gear Bike CRISSCROSS - JOKER

LOVE! This is exactly how I am kinda rearranging the Mercier--

How did you find this bike?

I want this bike: https://us.mixiebike.com/sale/mixie-m...ross-mint.html

Hmmm, I was contemplating the Brommie but have really become infatuated with the minis---have yet to see any in this area.

Last edited by BadBoy10; 05-29-14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 09:30 AM
thugpipe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OMG!

The JOKER is gorgeous! Thanks Thugpipe! I might pick that one up too! Love the green and purple. I LOVE THIS BIKE! WOW! MIXIE Gear Bike CRISSCROSS - JOKER

LOVE! This is exactly how I am kinda rearranging the Mercier--

How did you find this bike?

I want this bike: MIXIE Mixed Gear Bike CRISSCROSS - MINT - Sale

Hmmm, I was contemplating the Brommie but have really become infatuated with the minis---have yet to see any in this area.
Cool I am glad you like it so much, I ran across those in my quest to find a minivelo available in the usa and I really like these ones but I wanted multispeeds, they are like an economy version of a stiggley piccolo(I think I butchered that)

Here is the link to the sale area: Sale if you use coupon code GiveMe10 you get $10 off on top. The only problem is there are only two color schemes that are on sale and the reasons might be obvious(rattle can solution?), you'll see.

Yea it is rare to see mini velo in any area, i see some in nyc but its rare mostly only folders and bmx are the only thing on 20s.

Last edited by thugpipe; 05-29-14 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 10:27 AM
BadBoy10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=thugpipe;16802301]Cool I am glad you like it so much, I ran across those in my quest to find a minivelo available in the usa and I really like these ones but I wanted multispeeds, they are like an economy version of a stiggley piccolo(I think I butchered that)

Here is the link to the sale area: Sale if you use coupon code GiveMe10 you get $10 off on top. The only problem is there are only two color schemes that are on sale and the reasons might be obvious(rattle can solution?), you'll see.

Rattle can? I will check the forum for this...never heard of it. I am NOT a techie and know basic things, even took and passed a bicycle maintenance class and earned a certificate but much of it is somewhat confusing to me. I purchase for beauty and uniqueness. I have yet to see a Rivendell Quickbeam in this area and/or for sale on Craigslist. For the longest I wanted a Surly Long Haul Trucker...never saw them for sale. It is fascinating to me the geographical demographics and how it relates to bicycles. For example, in NY are there more folders because of spacing, big sprawl, urbania. In the Southeast....I see a lot of Next, Manga, Trek, Cruisers, a fixie ever so often. Over and over.

So my Hampton Beach which is tricked out with a million Christmas lights and wheel lights gets a lot of attention. The Rivendell receives little to no attention but I am careful.

It will be interesting to see how the minis evolve into a potential transport source. Where will they become popular?

The mini is somewhat BMX so...some may not be able to tell the difference. I am going to order the blue/white I think.
Old 05-29-14, 11:17 AM
thugpipe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
By rattle can i just meant a can of spray paint. I understand that tinkering with bikes yourself is not for everybody i am just really into customizing.

Im not sure if minivelo will ever really catch on in the USA in a big way but i hope they stick around as a niche thing at the least cause I love them! I get a bunch of attention on my minis but most people think they are a folder

Last edited by thugpipe; 05-29-14 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 02:06 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
below are four high quality cro-mo bikes. these were all available in the US. all are now discontinued because nobody bought them.

Old 05-29-14, 02:40 PM
thugpipe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those are all really cool bikes but they were all a little tricky to find even when they were available. Back when the soma came out i never saw any at bike shops(or on the street as a result) and the shops that carried the brand I talked to seemed less than enthusiastic about ordering any.

I wasn't aware the masi was available here, i would have loved to get one of those.

I have a dream of opening a shop in the city with nothing but minivelo.....it would probably go under quick.
Old 05-29-14, 03:14 PM
BadBoy10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=thugpipe;16803354]Those are all really cool bikes but they were all a little tricky to find even when they were available. Back when the soma came out i never saw any at bike shops(or on the street as a result) and the shops that carried the brand I talked to seemed less than enthusiastic about ordering any.

The Soma is stunning. Sleek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140529_170604.jpg (103.1 KB, 514 views)

Last edited by BadBoy10; 05-29-14 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 03:16 PM
BadBoy10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are all really cool bikes but they were all a little tricky to find even when they were available. Back when the soma came out i never saw any at bike shops(or on the street as a result) and the shops that carried the brand I talked to seemed less than enthusiastic about ordering any.

I wasn't aware the masi was available here, i would have loved to get one of those.

I have a dream of opening a shop in the city with nothing but minivelo.....it would probably go under quick.
We must be kindred spirits Thug. I want to open in Miami perhaps South Beach p
or thereabout a shop specializing in minis, Brompton folders and high end Moulton's. Here are the $100 changes so far to my Mercier. More to come I want everything white except the frame. Long journey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140529_170615.jpg (103.6 KB, 507 views)
Old 05-29-14, 04:09 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always have issues with gears: popping, cant find right gear...it is annoying. Then the tech or a neighborchecks and bike is fine. I had a 10 speed as a child but over the years...singles have been the keepers. I always dump eh sell the gear bikes.
No offense,but it does sound like the issue is user error. I've owned geared bikes for 40yrs and have never had any shifting issues that I wasn't able to fix by either making an adjustment or replacing a broken or worn out part.

If you're well under 6',you might want to consider a Respect. They are built to be SS/FG.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 05-29-14, 04:52 PM
BadBoy10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dynoder: See above. No offense but different spokes for different folks...was not user error...see above something was bent causing chain rotation to malfunction. LBS rode bike and said there was an issue and see above...bike fixed all better. The Mercier is out the shop and headed to A1A tonight. Thanksssssssss
Old 05-29-14, 04:57 PM
BadBoy10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So sensitive about the Mercier....geez do you work for the company, are a builder in the factory?

Calm down. It is possible the bike has issues. Original owner said he built up the bike after arrival but wasnt a good fit due to back isssues. Prior to ****z...read. It helps. I make a note to read entire thread prior to .....
Old 05-29-14, 06:18 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
You want the STRAIGHT EDGE. The MARS has an aggro geometry reminiscent of the F1 Street Bikes of the late 1980s. A more normal geometry mini velo is preferable for every day riding.
Old 05-29-14, 06:20 PM
thugpipe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BadBoy10 People on this particular thread which you tagged onto might be on the sensitive side about the mercier because the thread itself was started pondering if it was worth while to spend money on a very low end bike like the Nano in the first place and things were said which put many of them on edge. The wording of your first post and its omission of the fact of the derailleur being fixed could be constrewed as blaming the bike and going to a fixie config only because the gearing was such crap and many of them really love their bikes. Look its a cheap bike with cheap parts, if you want to put in the time the bike can be great and you can even get the cheap parts to work fine but they take more work and attention to keep them working well.

This is why I hate text messaging, no inflection or subtlety of speach in quick replies and people misunderstand intentions fill in the rest with their imagination.

I think if you had simply started a new thread called "my mini velo Fixie project" it might not have gone this way. Btw the bike looks great enjoy it and make a new post about your mixie when you get it.

Last edited by thugpipe; 05-29-14 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 06:22 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have the Big Shot Mini Polo. I put $400 worth of upgrades into it. It has a double butted cromoly frame and rides like a dream.

Riding a mini velo is simply fun!
Old 05-29-14, 06:26 PM
thugpipe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
You want the STRAIGHT EDGE. The MARS has an aggro geometry reminiscent of the F1 Street Bikes of the late 1980s. A more normal geometry mini velo is preferable for every day riding.
Naw man! I would kill for a Haro Dart or a General Meerkat. Besides it wouldn't be my every day rider, thats what my Bully is for

Likes For thugpipe:
Old 05-29-14, 07:55 PM
smallwheeler

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
I have the Big Shot Mini Polo. I put $400 worth of upgrades into it. It has a double butted cromoly frame and rides like a dream.

Riding a mini velo is simply fun!
can we see some pics of your ride?
Old 06-02-14, 12:13 PM
thugpipe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got the geomerty chart for the Mixie bikes (if anyone is interested). It appears the criss cross is surprisingly similar to the 53cm Nano in effective top tube and wheelbase. The straight edge does have an even longer top tube closer to my origin8 bully but a much shorter wheelbase than even the 48cm nano.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MIXIE GEOMETERY CHART.pdf (277.9 KB, 315 views)
Old 09-01-19, 06:09 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Soma Mini Velo Seatpost size?

Just wanted to check Ordering a Origin8 seatpost 29.4x400mm, currently have a 300mm that is to short am at max now, and need a bit more height. Can't find the size on quill to know if 29.4 is correct.
Also what to replace the UNO quill would like a longer reach...

Have this for specifications: https://ecovelo.info/soma-mini-velo/#top_ankor does not include seatpost size...

New to me Mini Velo#1

New to me Mini Velo#2

JR
Likes For Namida12:
Old 09-04-19, 01:08 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Soma Mini Velo is a standard 27.2mm seatpost

Best regards,

Stan Pun
Merry Sales Co.
650-871-8870
----------------------
merrysales.com
somafab.com
interlocracing.com
yokozunausa.com
newalbioncycles.com
pakebikes.com
Old 12-06-19, 11:01 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Namida12
Soma Mini Velo is a standard 27.2mm seatpost

Best regards,

Stan Pun
Merry Sales Co.
650-871-8870
----------------------
merrysales.com
somafab.com
interlocracing.com
yokozunausa.com
newalbioncycles.com
pakebikes.com
Thank you Stan. New seat post is installed and tis wonderful it does not slip...

Enjoying riding this Soma Mini Velo, perfect bicycle for city pottering about the neighborhood, in and out of grocery, and running quick errands. Best of all it is maneuverable in stairwells and bike rooms when I do not want use the car. I am sorry these did not sell well when introduced in the states, I for one, never knew these bicycles were sold here in the states. I only saw them in Japan, and I watched a good number of Mini Velo races in Tokyo held in covered parking lots.

Similar to messenger fixed gear races in San Francisco, but with much smaller bicycles. The mods they do to the mini Velos with wheel covers and paint it is a fun to explore the pits and quite colorful.

JR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.