Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 05:58 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
Anybody have a recommendation for tires for this? I'm running 48mm Compass tires on my rando bike, so considering RTPs here, but not sure yet. I will not be running fenders, and I measure 2.75'' in the rear for clearance.
Old 04-05-20, 12:15 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by twolve
I bought the larger Cimarron today, a 21'' frame. The smaller one was about 17'' I believe, and in worse shape. It had a lot of scrapes and a fair amount of rust on the frame and parts, looked like it had spent some time outside. Sad. The larger one has a fair amount of abuse, but nothing serious and it's awesome, 1989. I'm excited to tool around it with it.

Excellent story with the bikes though. Seller was the original owner. He said the bikes were a 'gift' in '89. After I bought the bike, he told me they were a gift from his mother in law's husband, Burt Reynolds. Burt bought them for the two of them for Christmas.
Clearly, this calls for Nitto Moustache bars!
Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 04-11-20, 02:18 PM
reluctantsuburb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the correct seat post diameter is for the 1986 model? I've struck out on 3 so far. 268 mm?
Old 04-11-20, 04:36 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by reluctantsuburb
Can anyone tell me what the correct seat post diameter is for the 1986 model? I've struck out on 3 so far. 268 mm?
my 85 is 26.6
Old 04-12-20, 11:49 AM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Originally Posted by reluctantsuburb
I just measured mine, a 1986 model, the other day at 26.6mm. I'm using the original Suntour Superbe seatpost, and it's also stamped 26.6mm. I plan to replace it, however, because it's too short for my needs. PM me if you're interested in buying, and I'll send photos.

Oliver Henderson
Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 04-17-20, 01:07 AM
c0rbin9

Bikes: None

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Can any comment on geometry changes through the model years? Early more relaxed, upright?
Old 04-17-20, 09:37 PM
Classtime 

Well, I need to share my mods. I think that straight bars are not for me on a bike that may not be ridden hard for most of its miles with most of the weight on the pedals. My Cimarron is my trailer-puller, grocery-getter, coffee-shopper. And every trip would make my wrists ache. So I worked out a trial with some Soma Oxford bars and I think it is an improvement. Because the XT 7 speed shifters were already on the bars with the stem, I put on a 7 speed FW and a late model Deore rear derailleur. During a 17 mile cruise:

One day it will have nice tires.
Old 04-18-20, 04:55 PM
countalmaviva 

Originally Posted by Classtime
Well, I need to share my mods. I think that straight bars are not for me on a bike that may not be ridden hard for most of its miles with most of the weight on the pedals. My Cimarron is my trailer-puller, grocery-getter, coffee-shopper. And every trip would make my wrists ache. So I worked out a trial with some Soma Oxford bars and I think it is an improvement. Because the XT 7 speed shifters were already on the bars with the stem, I put on a 7 speed FW and a late model Deore rear derailleur. During a 17 mile cruise:

One day it will have nice tires.
Your Soma Oxford bars look very similar to the Nitto Albatross I have on mine, and, though it took some getting used to, I now love it! I'm glad for the slightly more forward round part in the front as an option for more power. I was surprised by how much power I lost with a nearly upright position....

Oliver Henderson
Old 04-18-20, 05:49 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by countalmaviva
Your Soma Oxford bars look very similar to the Nitto Albatross I have on mine, and, though it took some getting used to, I now love it! I'm glad for the slightly more forward round part in the front as an option for more power. I was surprised by how much power I lost with a nearly upright position....

Oliver Henderson
Very much like the Nitto bars with all the hand positions. I had these on a road bike with bar end shifters and much smaller Tektro brake levers. Then the bars were completely wrapped with Newbaums and my hands could grab anywhere. As cool as the original bars look and also work if I'm seriously pedaling, too often, this bike will rarely be seriously pedaled. But when the local single track opens up again, I will have to try this new set up on it.
Old 04-18-20, 07:13 PM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Originally Posted by twolve
Anybody have a recommendation for tires for this? I'm running 48mm Compass tires on my rando bike, so considering RTPs here, but not sure yet. I will not be running fenders, and I measure 2.75'' in the rear for clearance.
I have RTB tires on mine. Second set actually as this bike was posted in this thread a while back. Great tire for this bike.

Likes For toavii:
Old 04-19-20, 12:25 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by toavii
I have RTB tires on mine. Second set actually as this bike was posted in this thread a while back. Great tire for this bike.

I wonder why Schwinn used decal colors that were nearly invisible against the background color of the bike. I have a red Cimarron with gold decals that one can barely see.
Old 04-27-20, 10:14 AM
reluctantsuburb

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
More details on the build process here, but I finally have my Cimarron up and running, thanks in no small part to some help from a fellow Bike Forum member.

Likes For reluctantsuburb:
Old 04-27-20, 05:31 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I wonder why Schwinn used decal colors that were nearly invisible against the background color of the bike. I have a red Cimarron with gold decals that one can barely see.
Stealth.........very very stealth
Old 05-03-20, 11:31 PM
c0rbin9

Bikes: None

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Anyone know standover height or sizing on these? I'm 5'11" 32.5" book-measured inseam and thinking 20"?
Old 05-04-20, 10:00 AM
countalmaviva 

I'm 5'10", my Cimarron measures 21" from center of crank to top of top tube, and it's a fine fit for me. My inseam, measuring with the book-in-the-crotch method, is 33.5". The standover on my bike with 2.2" tires is 31.5". Top tube is 23", center of seat tube to center of head tube.

It had been a while since I had ridden a mountain bike, vintage or otherwise. I'm used to road geometry, so there was some adjusting necessary, both mechanically and in terms of my expectations. The Cimarron is longer than I ride on a road frame, but that's OK since I'm not riding drop bars. Another factor, which I haven't solved yet, is that, because the bottom bracket is higher than on a road bike, getting my saddle high enough means that I have more difficulty getting my feet on the ground. I'm not doing any true off-road riding with my bike, so I prefer a saddle height more akin to what I'd ride on the road -- for efficiency purposes. Right now, I'm still using the lovely Suntour Superbe seatpost that was spec'd on this bike, but it's so short that I have it at maximum height, and it's still below my preferred position.

I would imagine the 21" Cimarron would be just right for you.
Old 05-04-20, 04:47 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I'd say a 21" Cimarron. I have a 23" and its standover is comparable to a 25" road bike.
Old 05-15-20, 04:50 PM
36Chambers

Bikes: M4 Stumpjumper, 1993 trek 520, soma stanyan, Miyata pro, 1980 bob jackson, 1985 schwinn tempo,

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
This is my third Cimarron, but my first time posting about these beauties. I have an 86, in green. and I had another in blue that was too large for me. I just bought his for two bills. I am stoked, because the black is legit. Not super happy about the underneath brake in the rear, but for the look I will take it. I am going to make this a drop bar conversion. sun tour bar ends, and long black stem. Anyway... isn't she pretty? Everything is original down to the tires. Bought it from a nice wealthy couple in rancho sante fe. was a wall hanger. rims have no signs of use, but there are plenty of scratches and blemishes. I love it. The seat tube busted. The top came apart from the tube. Just happened, so I am searching for a period correct 26.6 seat post. the original on this one is about 16 inches... not kidding.

Likes For 36Chambers:
Old 05-15-20, 06:09 PM
Classtime 

Nice. A black Deore XT post comes in 26.6. I think boulder bicycles has some.

Last edited by Classtime; 05-15-20 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-15-20, 09:54 PM
36Chambers

Bikes: M4 Stumpjumper, 1993 trek 520, soma stanyan, Miyata pro, 1980 bob jackson, 1985 schwinn tempo,

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Nice. A black Deore XT post comes in 26.6. I think boulder bicycles has some.
Thank you, I went through my parts bin and found one. A little crusty, but after some sanding and some mothers it will look good.
Old 05-16-20, 09:47 AM
countalmaviva 

Originally Posted by 36Chambers
This is my third Cimarron, but my first time posting about these beauties. I have an 86, in green. and I had another in blue that was too large for me. I just bought his for two bills. I am stoked, because the black is legit. Not super happy about the underneath brake in the rear, but for the look I will take it. I am going to make this a drop bar conversion. sun tour bar ends, and long black stem. Anyway... isn't she pretty? Everything is original down to the tires. Bought it from a nice wealthy couple in rancho sante fe. was a wall hanger. rims have no signs of use, but there are plenty of scratches and blemishes. I love it. The seat tube busted. The top came apart from the tube. Just happened, so I am searching for a period correct 26.6 seat post. the original on this one is about 16 inches... not kidding.
Niiiice! Curious about the make/brand on your busted seat post. My 86 has a 26.6mm Suntour Superbe that is too short.

Also, if those thumbies are 8s, I may have interest to buy or trade...

- Oliver H.
Old 05-16-20, 03:08 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
I'll just throw this out there: I'd be VERY interested in a good condition Cimarron in GREEN, smaller frame. Working this weekend on the red one i got from wrk101, with a taller stem and 165mm crank, and will see how that works out for my wife, or myself as we're close enough to the same size. If it's as nice as I expect then a matching one would be pretty cool!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 05-17-20, 01:48 PM
JT1973

Bikes: 1973 Jack Taylor ToB, 1974 or '75 LeJeune Champ du Monde (possibly from the Carre Shop), 1971 Motobecane Le Champion, 1980s Rodriguez frame (future 650b conversion project)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hey Al,
I just got a small frame red Cimarron. I think it’s 17.5” center to center seatpost. I’m not sure how Schwinn sized these. I live in Edgewater, Chicago, near lake and Loyola’s campus. Let me know if you’re interested. The frame looks worn but not worn out. It’s too small for my needs but would hold for kids if you’re not interested. Thanks,
leif
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
I'll just throw this out there: I'd be VERY interested in a good condition Cimarron in GREEN, smaller frame. Working this weekend on the red one i got from wrk101, with a taller stem and 165mm crank, and will see how that works out for my wife, or myself as we're close enough to the same size. If it's as nice as I expect then a matching one would be pretty cool!
Old 05-17-20, 07:25 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Hey JT! I might be. I'll message you.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 05-24-20, 10:00 AM
misctrader

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts
1988 Schwinn Cimarron with drop bars and Suntour Command shifters.
Likes For misctrader:
Old 05-24-20, 11:30 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,534 Times in 1,407 Posts
Anyone have any real world weights on Schwinn Cimarron frames? 6lbs? 7lbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.