Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD-2019 Cervelo R3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBD-2019 Cervelo R3

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 11:27 AM
kip.duff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
So my "one piece" Wheels Mgf unit actually was 2 pieces that are inserted from either end and they screw together once installed into a single piece. Could you BBInfinite unit be the same?
No. Any BB that assembles the way you described is categorized as a two-piece BB. The BBInfinite BB for BBright/SRAM DUB that I am dealing with is a single alloy tube (with both ball bearings installed) that is pressed in starting from the left and bottoming out on its flange when it is pressed all the way home. The Wheels Mfg. BB that I am considering is two-piece and the same as yours- and many other BB designs.
Likes For kip.duff:
Old 08-01-20, 02:44 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by kip.duff
No. Any BB that assembles the way you described is categorized as a two-piece BB. The BBInfinite BB for BBright/SRAM DUB that I am dealing with is a single alloy tube (with both ball bearings installed) that is pressed in starting from the left and bottoming out on its flange when it is pressed all the way home. The Wheels Mfg. BB that I am considering is two-piece and the same as yours- and many other BB designs.
Ah ok, I guess i have my terminology wrong.... ignore what I wrote then
Old 08-04-20, 02:23 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
torque spec rear disc caliper bolts???

Anyone have advice/knowledge on torque specs for caliper bolts that go thru chainstay for disc caliper? This is troubling to me because there is no sleeve in the bolt holes to resist compression- open/void in chainstay.. I think some of you have R3s with disc. Were your bolt holes like mine? Hollow?

A mechanic at Excel Sports said 6Nm. Wanted to get some more input.

Well, also looked at Sram specs- also said 5 - 7Nm. However, the design in the example they showed was very different. The rear caliper mounting point in the example is like the front fork: aluminum threaded inserts in the chainstay. Apparently, these bolts are not too tight- sounds like this is the right spec..

Old 08-04-20, 03:54 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I've always done 5Nm and have never had an issue...it doesn't take much torque to keep them in place.
Old 08-04-20, 04:08 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
I've always done 5Nm and have never had an issue...it doesn't take much torque to keep them in place.
Cool!!!
Old 08-17-20, 09:32 AM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
It's finished. Went for 30 mile ride. Haven't been riding in about 5 years. Really beat myself up- am still recovering.

Wheels Mfg. BB
Eggbeater 3 pedals
SRAM Red eTap 12-speed AXS 1X HYD group
SRAM Red AXS crankset with 42 tooth chainring
10 - 28 rear cassette
Fizik Antares saddle
3T ARX Team alloy stem ($50, new off eBay)
​​​​​​FSA Energy Wing compact alloy handlebar 42cm 288 gr, new eBay, $50
Lizard Skin 2.8mm bar tape
Roval CL50 disc wheelset
Conti GP5000TL 28c tubeless tires

The tires were easily installed with some Schwalbe Easy Fit mounting soap and an old Performance Bike plastic tire lever. The quantity of sealant recommended (60ml per wheel) amounts to ¼ pound total, so I thought I would try without sealant. Seems to be holding fine with stock Roval rim tape. My first tubeless setup, so I'm not sure yet if I'm losing anything by not running sealant. Running at 55-60 psi.

Did all assembly myself other than Shimano disc adapters installed on the Rovals by LBS- not quite true on front axle- rubbing a bit.

Bled the brakes with the Sram Pro Brake Bleed kit.

Used inexpensive 3T stem because consensus is that carbon stems are not a good idea. 10cm, 6 degree, 126 gr. I think this is all I could ask for in a road stem, and will probably stay on the bike.

I will probably get a carbon handlebar at some point to save weight. At this point, I'm aiming for something like to FSA I have on there now.

Haven't weighed it yet- chicken. I'm afraid the disc choice has pushed the weight up.

I'm using Mavic mountain bike shoes.

Kip's Cervelo R3 54 cm
Likes For kip.duff:
Old 08-17-20, 09:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
My first tubeless setup, so I'm not sure yet if I'm losing anything by not running sealant.
You're losing flat protection, which is the primary reason that most run tubeless.
Old 08-17-20, 09:47 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
It's finished. Went for 30 mile ride. Haven't been riding in about 5 years. Really beat myself up- am still recovering.

Wheels Mfg. BB
Eggbeater 3 pedals
10 - 28 rear cassette
Fizik Antares saddle
Roval CL50 disc wheelset

The tires were easily installed with some Schwalbe Easy Fit mounting soap and an old Performance Bike plastic tire lever. The quantity of sealant recommended (60ml per wheel) amounts to ¼ pound total, so I thought I would try without sealant. Seems to be holding fine with stock Roval rim tape. My first tubeless setup, so I'm not sure yet if I'm losing anything by not running sealant. Running at 55-60 psi.

Did all assembly myself other than Shimano disc adapters installed on the Rovals by LBS- not quite true on front axle- rubbing a bit.

Used inexpensive 3T stem because consensus is that carbon stems are not a good idea. 10cm, 6 degree, 126 gr. I think this is all I could ask for in a road stem, and will probably stay on the bike.

I will probably get a carbon handlebar at some point to save weight. At this point, I'm aiming for something like to FSA I have on there now.

Haven't weighed it yet- chicken. I'm afraid the disc choice has pushed the weight up.

Kip's Cervelo R3 54 cm
It can’t be that heavy, my pure stock 56cm is 16.2 with pedals in the non-disc version
Old 08-17-20, 10:06 AM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
It can’t be that heavy, my pure stock 56cm is 16.2 with pedals in the non-disc version
I think I heard that disc option adds a lot of weight. But I don't remember the amount. Will try to find the info again. 1X set up will help offset.

Last edited by kip.duff; 08-17-20 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-17-20, 10:14 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Add sealant for sure.
Old 08-17-20, 01:29 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
What was your thought process in going with a 1x up front? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 08-17-20, 01:38 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
What was your thought process in going with a 1x up front? Just curious. Thanks.
Several.

1) I'm not much of a rider- nice bikes more of a hobby. I'm 72 and have no business going over 30mph- although I think this bike would be good at it!
2) I LOVE the simplicity, lack of clutter, extra stuff, yada yada... Front derailleurs literally look like very unneeded and annoying bells-and-whistles to me- I achieved great satisfaction in excluding it.
3) Weight savings.
4) Money savings NOT a factor.
Likes For kip.duff:
Old 08-17-20, 02:25 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
My first tubeless setup, so I'm not sure yet if I'm losing anything by not running sealant.
As the tires age they will likely start leaking around the bead and rim if you don't add sealant. Been there, done that. The good news is you can still ride flatted tubeless tires and make it home. It might take all day since you'll be riding slow, but you'll get there eventually. Have done that, too. They actually rode surprisingly well. (This was Mavic Yksium UST or whatever they call them, on my errand bike that hadn't been touched in 3-4 months due to Covid. Not GP5000TL.)
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 08-17-20, 02:41 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
As the tires age they will likely start leaking around the bead and rim if you don't add sealant. Been there, done that. The good news is you can still ride flatted tubeless tires and make it home. It might take all day since you'll be riding slow, but you'll get there eventually. Have done that, too. They actually rode surprisingly well. (This was Mavic Yksium UST or whatever they call them, on my errand bike that hadn't been touched in 3-4 months due to Covid. Not GP5000TL.)
Are some sealants better than others?

How many ml did you use?
Old 08-17-20, 03:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yes. Orange Seal (regular) has done very well for me and has a pretty good reputation at road tire pressures. Others, like Stan's, seem to work better at the lower pressures seen with mountain bikes and don't generally fare well at road pressures.

How many ml did you use?
I usually use ~45-50ml.

Keep in mind that you need to check it occasionally - it can dry out, be used up, get diluted from water intrusion, etc. If you're putting in a lot of miles or if punctures are fairly common for you, once per month might not be a bad idea. If you're not riding a ton and/or punctures aren't terribly common, you could go 8 weeks or more between checks. The main thing is that you don't want to ride around thinking everything is hunky dory and then get a flat because your sealant needed to be topped off three weeks prior.
Old 08-17-20, 04:39 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

Wheels Mfg. BB
Eggbeater 3 pedals
10 - 28 rear cassette
Fizik Antares saddle
Roval CL50 disc wheelset

Kip's Cervelo R3 54 cm

Interesting how you routed the rear brake line, I might have to do that when I do brake lines next time.
Old 08-17-20, 04:43 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts

How many ml did you use?
I use Orange (endurance), despite the Mavics coming with their own. It has worked extremely well around town, with lots of nasty crap in the bike lanes here.

I use 1.5 oz for all my tires, which comes to just around 45 ml (per tire). A KOM syringe makes it quick and neat to check and top off. No need for the tire to come off or any of that.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 08-17-20, 07:37 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Interesting how you routed the rear brake line, I might have to do that when I do brake lines next time.
"Motorcycle" configuration- right lever for front brake- left lever for rear.
Old 08-17-20, 07:38 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
I use Orange (endurance), despite the Mavics coming with their own. It has worked extremely well around town, with lots of nasty crap in the bike lanes here.

I use 1.5 oz for all my tires, which comes to just around 45 ml (per tire). A KOM syringe makes it quick and neat to check and top off. No need for the tire to come off or any of that.
Thanks.
Old 08-17-20, 08:00 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Nice bike. I have put almost 100,000 miles on two Cervelo R3's. I haven't found a reason to try another bike.