Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have any of you had tires that blow up?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Have any of you had tires that blow up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 11:14 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Again, since you didn't get it the first time, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THE DEVICE LOCKS ONTO THE TUBE OR NOT. Whatever device you used to inflate your tires, you had to seat it properly on the valve head to get a reliable connection to allow air into the tube. When you pulled that device off of the valve, you did so carelessly, and that is what ripped a hole in BOTH tubes at the base of the valve stem. Stop being so sensitive about this; it's a common mistake that plenty of people make. It's double frustrating when it happens with a new tube, but it happens sometimes. Maybe just try to learn from your mistake and be more careful next time.
Calm down.
Old 09-15-20, 11:19 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Calm down.
I am calm. I'm actually enjoying a soothing Yerba Mate while I sort through my correspondence, thank you very much.
Old 09-15-20, 11:26 AM
Koyote

I am calm. I'm actually enjoying a soothing Yerba Mate while I sort through my correspondence, thank you very much.
I dunno. That shouting concerns me. You seem a bit hysterical.
Old 09-15-20, 11:32 AM
BoraxKid

I dunno. That shouting concerns me. You seem a bit hysterical.
Lolwut? When was I shouting? This is a text medium, it's not even possible to do that
Old 09-15-20, 11:41 AM
Koyote

Lolwut? When was I shouting? This is a text medium, it's not even possible to do that
Sorry, I thought that pretty much every person to ever log onto a forum knew that writing in all caps is called "shouting." I mean, really, this is well-known.
Old 09-15-20, 11:46 AM
BoraxKid

Sorry, I thought that pretty much every person to ever log onto a forum knew that writing in all caps is called "shouting." I mean, really, this is well-known.
Meh. Even if it did come across as "shouting," it was warranted for the emphasis I was making. That other poster clearly missed my point the first two times I made it, but they got it after I went all-caps.
Old 09-15-20, 11:48 AM
Koyote

Meh. Even if it did come across as "shouting," it was warranted for the emphasis I was making. That other poster clearly missed my point the first two times I made it, but they got it after I went all-caps.
Well, that's fair, since you have missed his point, too. But at least his is valid.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-15-20, 11:57 AM
BoraxKid

Well, that's fair, since you have missed his point, too. But at least his is valid.
Sure thing, buddy.
Old 09-15-20, 02:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And you're making assumptions that you don't know anything about. Again, I was not using a pump with a locking head. I used an air hose with a standard Schrader air chuck that couldn't possibly pull on the valve stems. It has absolutely no ability to pull on anything.
Yep, there's no way a standard air chuck could pull on a Schrader valve. Why anyone would dispute that is beyond me.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-20, 02:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep, there's no way a standard air chuck could pull on a Schrader valve. Why anyone would dispute that is beyond me.
I think he had to assert that in order to save face, because at first he claimed I was yanking on a locked-down air pump head. But I'm so glad that not only was he there to see what I was doing wrong, but he's also apparently inspected the blown tubes from my trash to find the cause of failure.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-16-20, 10:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Air temp is not the important thing to consider in summer weather. I you start out in the morning and inflate your tires to the max at that time, when the air temp get to 100 think what the temp is on the black top hiway you are riding is. It is so hot you cant touch it, and it raises the air pressure in your tire way up. Then your tire goes bang!!!!
Old 09-16-20, 10:24 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rydabent
Air temp is not the important thing to consider in summer weather. I you start out in the morning and inflate your tires to the max at that time, when the air temp get to 100 think what the temp is on the black top hiway you are riding is. It is so hot you cant touch it, and it raises the air pressure in your tire way up. Then your tire goes bang!!!!
If you do the math, even a 20% increase in ambient temp will only raise the tire's psi by 4%, give or take. (Depends on the starting psi.) As long as the tire was not already grossly overinflated, that won't cause problems. Now, the heat (esp the pavement) may also soften up the tire a bit, and perhaps make it more susceptible to punctures. But heat alone causing a tire to blow off the rim? I'm still not sure that I'm buying that.
Old 09-16-20, 10:30 AM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Well actually, a standard air chuck can catch on the threads of a Schrader valve and pull on it, if it's handled carelessly. This is something I've seen happen before when teaching people how to fix a flat at the local bike co-op.
Old 09-16-20, 10:39 AM
BoraxKid

I think he had to assert that in order to save face, because at first he claimed I was yanking on a locked-down air pump head. But I'm so glad that not only was he there to see what I was doing wrong, but he's also apparently inspected the blown tubes from my trash to find the cause of failure.
No, I never claimed that you did anything with a locked-down air pump head; please stop lying about me. I said multiple times that whether or not the pump head (or air chuck) is locked down is irrelevant. The fact remains that according to what you posted, the simplest and only likely explanation for why you had two different tubes go flat due to holes near the valve was due to carelessly handling the valves when you aired them up. If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it. I've been waiting patiently for you to say something that actually refutes Occam's Razor here, and yet you have failed to do so.

Obviously, I was not there to witness you airing up your tires, but based on your description of the incident, it's not hard to diagnose what happened. That you can't admit fault in the matter really says a lot though.
Old 09-16-20, 11:33 AM
Koyote

No, I never claimed that you did anything with a locked-down air pump head; please stop lying about me. I said multiple times that whether or not the pump head (or air chuck) is locked down is irrelevant. The fact remains that according to what you posted, the simplest and only likely explanation for why you had two different tubes go flat due to holes near the valve was due to carelessly handling the valves when you aired them up. If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it. I've been waiting patiently for you to say something that actually refutes Occam's Razor here, and yet you have failed to do so.

Obviously, I was not there to witness you airing up your tires, but based on your description of the incident, it's not hard to diagnose what happened. That you can't admit fault in the matter really says a lot though.
Calm down.
Old 09-16-20, 11:35 AM
Milton Keynes

The fact remains that according to what you posted, the simplest and only likely explanation for why you had two different tubes go flat due to holes near the valve was due to carelessly handling the valves when you aired them up.
You made that assumption which you can't seem to let go of.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it. I've been waiting patiently for you to say something that actually refutes Occam's Razor here, and yet you have failed to do so.
There was no way for me to carelessly or even deliberately rip the valve stems out using the inflator I used. Airing up tires is something I do many times a day, and I would be aware if somehow the chuck was pulling on a valve stem. And it's physically impossible for the chuck to pull on the valve stem hard enough to rip a hole in the tube. I already explained this. Plus, if it had done that, the tire would have gone flat immediately. Yet one didn't blow until hours later, when it was leaking from where the brass piece of the Schrader valve inserts into the rubber outer covering. If you can pull that loose with a Schrader air chuck, you're more talented than I am.

You asserted without evidence that your description is not only the only explanation, but is exactly what happened. Then you double down and keep insisting I was at fault because that's the only explanation you can come up with. I don't have to admit fault because I know I wasn't at fault. I've used an air chuck enough to know how to do it without destroying tubes, and I know what I did that day, so I find incredibly amusing your constant assertions that I was at fault just because you assume I was. You know what happens when you assume, right?
Old 09-16-20, 11:43 AM
BoraxKid

There was no way for me to carelessly or even deliberately rip the valve stems out using the inflator I used. Airing up tires is something I do many times a day, and I would be aware if somehow the chuck was pulling on a valve stem. And it's physically impossible for the chuck to pull on the valve stem hard enough to rip a hole in the tube. I already explained this. Plus, if it had done that, the tire would have gone flat immediately. Yet one didn't blow until hours later, when it was leaking from where the brass piece of the Schrader valve inserts into the rubber outer covering. If you can pull that loose with a Schrader air chuck, you're more talented than I am.
You basically just confirmed what I said all along. The only way to put a hole in the valve stem in the manner you described is through careless handling. Thank you for finally admitting fault.
Old 09-16-20, 11:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
You basically just confirmed what I said all along. The only way to put a hole in the valve stem in the manner you described is through careless handling. Thank you for finally admitting fault.
Your location is listed as "Parts Unknown." Just out of curiosity, what planet is that?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-16-20, 12:26 PM
Milton Keynes

There you go, assuming again. It wasn't a "hole in the valve stem," it was the metal piece coming loose from the rubber. Have you ever heard of dry rot? I'm done with you.
Old 09-16-20, 12:28 PM
BoraxKid

There you go, assuming again. I'm done with you.
No, I assumed nothing. I reached a reasonable conclusion based on the information you provided.
Old 09-16-20, 12:30 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Any time I have ever had a tire "blow up" was a direct result of the tire, and not the tube, or a rim failure. Most often a sidewall failure on an older tire while pumping it up.

Edit, sorry...no I have had a stem blow off before so yes, tube failure as well.
Old 09-16-20, 12:35 PM
Milton Keynes

No, I assumed nothing. I reached a reasonable conclusion based on the information you provided.
No, you assumed that I wrenched on the air chuck hard enough to pull the valve stem off the tube, or at least pull the brass part of the Schrader valve right out of the rubber stem. When I told you that wasn't what happened, you couldn't admit that the scenario you cooked up in your head was wrong, so you doubled down, tripled down, and now quadrupled down that I don't know how to use an air chuck. When you assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME, but more you than me by this point.

Like I said, I'm done with you. Putting you and your arrogant attitude on ignore.
Old 09-16-20, 12:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Edit, sorry...no I have had a stem blow off before so yes, tube failure as well.
You shouldn't have pulled so hard on the air chuck!
Old 09-16-20, 12:44 PM
BoraxKid

No, you assumed that I wrenched on the air chuck hard enough to pull the valve stem off the tube
No, I did not. I read your post and realized that literally the only way to have the issue that you described is through carelessness. Please stop lying about me.
Old 09-16-20, 01:21 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
You shouldn't have pulled so hard on the air chuck!

I hadn't read the comments prior to making and editing mine. Y'all can keep that over there, lol.

#runaway
Likes For Juan Foote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.