Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 08-29-18, 01:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,446 Posts
But yet another sprinters warmup, accelerations jumps and then a time trial on my time trial bike on Fiesta Island. Nothing remarkable other than I lowered my position another 5 mm getting closer to optimum. My leg felt great. I may have been slightly faster on a lap versus last week but there was significant wind and I had to slow a couple of times for traffic.

Warmup takes 30 minutes that has noting to do with age just the amount of time to exercise all the systems with recovery intervals. The two jumps are not insignificant in that they are both max effort starts in a big gear - one seated and one standing.
Old 08-30-18, 07:55 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Gotcha. By pacing, do you mean what power I've chosen for each (the under and the over?).

My previous 20min test was 280w. The plan had me do an 8min test and managed 300w. Based on that, the under/overs can be done at 260/285 or at 270/300. I was doing them at 270/300. So, total of 12min at 300w and 18min at 270w.

Given it's at that high a % of my limit for that duration, I'm guessing any deviation on power readings could prove bad also. I had to swap bikes from the one I was usually using. There are 3 identical Cycleops training bikes, but the one I was using had an issue or something.

The HR reading said I should have been able to do it though. IMO.
Old 08-30-18, 09:26 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@burnthesheep

i dont know the powermeter on cycleops training bikes, but generally speaking power meters are neither very accurate nor precise on stationary bikes, and going from one bike to the next skews if further. the best powermeter requires some form of calibration prior to every ride

pacing, yes, it's the wattage you target for the under period and over period. if you overshoot on either, you'll compromise your ability to complete your workout
Old 08-30-18, 11:03 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
The CycleOps bikes use a powertap, so I'd trust those to be fairly accurate.
Old 08-30-18, 11:31 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I'm guessing if I encounter this again, finishing at minus 10w or something would be better than bonking a set mid-way.

I'll have to figure out equipment setup for winter, since I use both the stationary in the gym AND my bike with the Stages left only crank meter on the good ole heartbreaker fluid trainer.

Yeah, the stationary has a powertap meter on it.
Old 08-30-18, 07:32 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Ez day yesterday and signed up for a gym membership.. Winter is coming...

Today I went out with intention to take a KOM. Still a bit tired from group ride on tuesday and unfavorable winds means no KOM. But I think the power was good. Other than those 3 minutes of power, I basically was JRA for about 1.5 hours outside.

Interestingly.. After the unplanned time off last week (and a psuedo rest week the week before) my max HR has magically jumped back up. I'm starting think I've been sitting in this big hole of fatigue all summer and the unplanned time off might have been good for me.
Old 08-31-18, 12:12 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Did my power intervals today, 6x3min at 330w. Success this time. I can't interpret things like how the HR ramps up and levels off. I would have thought for these the HR would be on a faster ramp upwards into the 180s. Guess not. Seems to level off to me during minute 2 and 3. Not sure how to interpret that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1809955071

I had a couple tacos for lunch afterwards and then someone plopped a little cupcake on my desk. Wondering if I should double up after work and go do some 2:1 work ratio of some kind for a little bit. Like 30 on, 15 sec off.

Feeling cheeky today. Or, may save it to while the wife does the Costco run tomorrow with her sister in law. There's a KOM in town I want that's in the 2 minute range. I'm close. It'll probably take about 415w for two minutes. I've done that for a little shorter segment, whats another 20 seconds?
Old 08-31-18, 01:54 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Did my power intervals today, 6x3min at 330w. Success this time. I can't interpret things like how the HR ramps up and levels off. I would have thought for these the HR would be on a faster ramp upwards into the 180s. Guess not. Seems to level off to me during minute 2 and 3. Not sure how to interpret that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1809955071

I had a couple tacos for lunch afterwards and then someone plopped a little cupcake on my desk. Wondering if I should double up after work and go do some 2:1 work ratio of some kind for a little bit. Like 30 on, 15 sec off.

Feeling cheeky today. Or, may save it to while the wife does the Costco run tomorrow with her sister in law. There's a KOM in town I want that's in the 2 minute range. I'm close. It'll probably take about 415w for two minutes. I've done that for a little shorter segment, whats another 20 seconds?
I went and looked at how my hr usually goes for 3 min intervals and it loks very similar to what yours does. Wouldn't say yours looks abnormal I guess.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1730287659/analysis

Anyways.. Today was just an easy ride. Got about 15 minutes in and got a phone call from my mom. Not to delve into personal matters, but a death in the family from someone I don't really know. Sometimes you just have to listen. Glad I brought a headset and she could hear me.
Old 08-31-18, 04:33 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@burnthesheep and @Ttoc6 FWIW, the shape of my 3 minute heart rate graph looks the same as yours versus constant power.

Yesterday was a track workout with jumps and flying kilos at San Diego Velodrome. Today, was threshold and VO2 work on Fiesta Island on my TT bike. I was 10 watts off of my all time high for the kilos. I could have beat that record with a little more focus. However, the goal for now is not to pop PRs every workout but pop a PR when it counts.
Old 09-01-18, 10:13 AM
wktmeow

Originally Posted by Hermes
@burnthesheep and @Ttoc6 FWIW, the shape of my 3 minute heart rate graph looks the same as yours versus constant power.

Yesterday was a track workout with jumps and flying kilos at San Diego Velodrome. Today, was threshold and VO2 work on Fiesta Island on my TT bike. I was 10 watts off of my all time high for the kilos. I could have beat that record with a little more focus. However, the goal for now is not to pop PRs every workout but pop a PR when it counts.
That's a pretty good sign that you'll PR in races indeed, at least for me it would be as my repeatable numbers are usually quite a bit off from my single effort all out numbers.

Also I'm really surprised I haven't run into you on Fiesta yet, we should plan a ride some time.
Old 09-01-18, 07:09 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by wktmeow
That's a pretty good sign that you'll PR in races indeed, at least for me it would be as my repeatable numbers are usually quite a bit off from my single effort all out numbers.

Also I'm really surprised I haven't run into you on Fiesta yet, we should plan a ride some time.
I am racing Fiesta next Sunday and typically train on Tuesdays in the morning but I have a lot of flexibility. I agree on the point of multiple repeatable efforts generally mean that I can do more power with better focus. I would be great to go for a ride together.

Today was a volume ride along the coast. We managed 27 minutes of constant power through Encinitas to Carlsbad making all the traffic lights. That is definitely a first.
Old 09-01-18, 08:49 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@revchuck I would call that an over over.
Originally Posted by TMonk
yeah is that correct? I feel like 3x12' at 105% is plenty difficult by itself.
My coach is a former Cat 1 roadie who transitioned to ultrarunning where she is kicking major ass. She also coaches ultrarunners and was one of the coaches at a recent camp in Colorado Springs. She saw some really solid sea-level runners wilt at altitude, so she decided to consciously over-prepare me for LOTOJA. Those O/Us were part of that. She did give me the option of two or three, and I just did two, with about 1:25 of endurance pace afterward.

Today was supposed to be a group ride, but the usual suspects decided to do it Monday to give themselves a caloric deficit prior to the usual Labor Day BBQ. My alternate workout was a three-hour ride with 5x8' at 105% toward the beginning of the ride. The first interval was about normal hard, the second one started that way but the wheels came off about halfway through - one of those "pavement turned into peanut butter" things where you're pushing on the pedals but the numbers just ain't there. It's been a long time since that's happened to me...maybe my geezerhood is catching up with me. I did another 1:40 at barely endurance pace to get home. My full taper is supposed to start Monday, but I texted my coach and told her it looked like it was starting today. She checked the file and replied that the numbers didn't indicate that, and could I do a four-hour ride tomorrow? I allowed that I could, so that's the plan. I told y'all that she's a hardass. So it'll be a "short" week, only 13 hours and 245 miles.

As much as I enjoy this, it's going to feel good to get off this horse for a little while. At least until I start training for the half-marathon in December.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-01-18, 11:33 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
My plan for this weekend calls for me being on the mtb doing whatever I want, 4 hours Friday, 3 hours today, 1:30 each tomorrow and Monday. Big week then next week lightish going into my Sunday TT.

Yesterday we drove up to Big Bear, got on the road later than expected and I didn’t get on the bike until 3pm, and with sunset at 7:15 pm, I decided 3:30 ride time was smarter than going for the full 4 hours. I felt like I was going easy but I PRed a bunch of stuff and spent around 30 min at threshold HR, I guess I was feeling sparky. The late afternoon light was beautiful.

This is morning we all got up and headed out. Started with a fire road climb and we were all feeling tired. I guess because I was only off the bike 13 hrs and they didn’t get in until late. But once we got on the singletrack I was feeling way better. Really sweet trailage up here. There’s not actually that many trails, so lots of chance to ride stuff multiple times or in the opposite direction, I really enjoy it. PRed a bunch of stuff today too, probably because I’m riding more stuff that I’d have previously missed. Great vistas today, perfect weather, great company.

Around 45 miles and 6000 ft of climbing in the past two days, ~375 TSS.
@Hermes I’m racing Piru next Sunday instead of Fiesta. I love the Fiesta course but it’s a 3 hour drive vs 30 min. Not worth the drive time for me when my main goal is to dip the toe in the water again.
@revchuck what’s another 4 hours?

Last edited by Heathpack; 09-02-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 12:12 PM
wktmeow

I am racing Fiesta next Sunday and typically train on Tuesdays in the morning but I have a lot of flexibility. I agree on the point of multiple repeatable efforts generally mean that I can do more power with better focus. I would be great to go for a ride together.

Today was a volume ride along the coast. We managed 27 minutes of constant power through Encinitas to Carlsbad making all the traffic lights. That is definitely a first.
I'll be volunteering at the TT! See you there and good luck!
Old 09-02-18, 01:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked 3,083 Times in 1,632 Posts
I will also be volunteering next Sunday. +1 See you there and good luck!
Old 09-03-18, 01:13 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Few days away from home over the weekend spending time with the guys that are gonna run support for me for LoToJa. Got to do my favoritye climb in Utah (Alpine loop / American fork Canyon) and then a pretty fun ride with some gravel. Today was a chill ride with one of my teammates for lotoja (who's won it twice) where we talked about tactics and some race plan. 3 days of work, a lot of packing and some stressing before the race and then it's time.
Old 09-03-18, 01:43 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by wktmeow
I'll be volunteering at the TT! See you there and good luck!
I will also be volunteering next Sunday. +1 See you there and good luck!
\

I am racing a 20Km TTT with my wife on TT bikes. We have done team pursuit at the track together but this will be the first TTT. See you there.
Old 09-03-18, 05:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Went swimming today for the first time in 6-9 months and it was rough. Form fell apart and I had to take a few breaks - how embarrassing! I did 1/4 mi. of freestyle (breathes every third stroke) with a breastroke + backstroke warmup and cooldown.

Swimming is a good vibe and a good time. I try to do it at least 1 once per month but I've been lazy about it. Now that it's the off season I have no excuse and I'll try to get back in the pool more.
Old 09-03-18, 05:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Now I'm going to ride down to the velodrome (and back) for 30 minutes of soft pedaling, will hang out and chat for a bit as I think there's an into class going on. After we'll grill some streaks and cook goat cheese polenta and green beans. ab workout this morning. Racing track tomorrow night which may be the last one I do until next year.
Old 09-03-18, 05:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
2x60 at tempo. 3hours total, 231tss, ran through my entire podcast queue.
Old 09-03-18, 06:19 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Wow what a great weekend. Around 65 miles on the mtb/7000 ft climbing/500 tss. Lots of cooking, wine, mojitos, dogs and bocce. Great temps, ave temp on this morning’s ride was 70F.

Rest day tomorrow, lightish week, then race on Sunday.

From this morning’s ride, a trail called Hanna Flats.

Old 09-03-18, 06:40 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Awesome weekend @Heathpak! I decided that I'm going to do the Grizzly 100. I couldn't get any of my racing teammates to commit so I'm getting a campsite at Pine Knot for Friday night. Took Friday off work so I'm going to head up there and ride around the lake then Hanna Flat + Gray Peak. Didn't do Gray's last time so I'm excited to check it out, and for the weekend in general. Hopefully I have enough energy to drive home afterward in time for dinner...
Old 09-04-18, 08:22 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Awesome weekend @Heathpak! I decided that I'm going to do the Grizzly 100. I couldn't get any of my racing teammates to commit so I'm getting a campsite at Pine Knot for Friday night. Took Friday off work so I'm going to head up there and ride around the lake then Hanna Flat + Gray Peak. Didn't do Gray's last time so I'm excited to check it out, and for the weekend in general. Hopefully I have enough energy to drive home afterward in time for dinner...
I was thinking of doing the fondo but decided to skip it. I’m working the day prior (usually off Fridays but am covering for a colleague) and had visions of arriving late then needing to get up early the next day. Plus visions of being out of the course with dozens of people all wanting to pass me. The biggest eye-opener for me after doing the women’s only Trek Dirt Series clinic is how much better mtb is if your just riding your own pace, rather that pushing to keep up with someone faster. Wow amazing when you haven’t zapped your legs how much better you are on the technical stuff. So it seemed like it had the potential to be not-fun.

Instead, I’ll head up Fri night, ride a chill “opener” on Sat over in Hanna Flats (where everybody else won’t be!) then an epic ride in the 35-40 mile range. My friend (well the husband of the couple, wife won’t go epic but will likely ride some) wants to do a complicated route that includes crossing the lake on the road. But I think I’m going to suggest an out and back- Skyline in both directions. Simpler plan. My husband can do a SAG stop for us. And there will probably still even be porta potties up there from the race!

So if you decide to camp two nights, you can use our ride as a recovery ride....

Good luck with the race. I looked at the route and the full 100k looks really tough.
Old 09-04-18, 08:52 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I avoid events / races with key words in the titles such as hell, death, grizzly, hotter than, extreme and etc.
Old 09-04-18, 09:52 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Officially on break; at least until after my Spain vacation in Mid October.

Having a massive inferiority complex, I find it hard to temper my training. If taking a day off, I feel like everyone else is getting better and I'm not. There are some locals I kind of track and try to keep pace with, but I need to remind myself these guys are 10-20 years younger and more talented. IMO once you hit masters 40+, you need to take a few weeks once or twice a year. My body needs a rest. Both my knees have tendinitis, my hip issues are creeping back, and I just felt tired all the time. Plus coming back after 2 years and having the best season of my life (which is probably the worst of everyone elses lol) gives me comfort I can rest and come back strong.

I also don't have to ride to lose weight, which is nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.