Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Sleeves for Tan Lines?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-12-20, 11:31 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts

So these tan lines are getting ridiculous. On my already dark skin, I now look like I have sleeve tattoos (and this is from only riding 3 times a week, 1.5 hrs a ride)... and let me tell you, I'm not the kind of guy that can pull off sleeve tattoos.
Do any of you wear long sleeve jerseys to protect yourself from the sun/prevent tan lines?
The thing is, it's always hot/sunny where I live and I'm gonna keep wearing bib shorts.
I hear shorts and long sleeves are a fashion fau pa... but then again, I ride alone and don't care what I look like (tan lines aside obviously
Old 02-13-20, 01:37 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I wear long sleeves and long pants pretty much all summer if the sun is at all out, even though the summer temps here are usually in the 80s and 90s rather than your 100s or higher. Skin cancer is an epidemic and covering up is just easier for me than putting 8 pounds of susncreen on every time I go out. The SPF on a decent shirt is around 20 or higher, generally. Buying fancy sun-blocking clothes is unnecessary. Obviously, the weight of what I wear is very light.

I have no idea what you guys do in the summer down there. Ridd in the middle of the night? It's still super hot then. I don't envy you.
Old 02-13-20, 01:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I use the permacloud for sun block. We usually get a day in the summer with sunshine, it didn't happen last year, but I'm hopeful we could get a few hours in 2020 or 2021.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-13-20, 01:45 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I always wear long-sleeve jerseys. You should too, it sounds like. The type of skin cancer I had is the most common form for black people. Nobody gets a free pass, sadly.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 02-13-20, 01:46 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I use the permacloud for sun block. We usually get a day in the summer with sunshine, it didn't happen last year, but I'm hopeful we could get a few hours in 2020 or 2021.
You realize that doesn't protect you from UV, right?
Old 02-13-20, 01:54 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I always wear a long sleeve base layer. One, it protects me from the sun, and two, I actually do have a 3/4 sleeve that I want to keep looking brightly coloured. Unlike you, I turn fun shades of pink and red without any sort of skin protection. I also use sun screen on both my arms (even with a base layer) and legs. It takes work to stay past pale in the summer....
Old 02-13-20, 02:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I used to wear long sleeves even in summer to reduce sun exposure, and sunblock on exposed skin. As a kid and most of my adult life I burned easily in the sun. I was always skinny as a kid and young adult and ate everything I wanted, especially sugar and junk carbs. After age 40 I gained weight and by age 50 went from 155 to 205 lbs. It seemed like I sunburned more easily. But I didn't make any connections.

After being diagnosed with osteopenia (lower than normal bone density for my age), and finding that calcium and Vitamin D supplements had zero effect (checked twice a year), I read a bunch of studies on PubMed about the benefits of sun exposure, possible links between sunburn, body fat and sugar intake, doubts about the value of sunscreen, and other indications that prompted me to revise my approach. And reportedly sun exposure helped the body manufacture nitric oxide on the fly in demand to physical activity.

So last year I cut way back on the sugar and junk carbs, dropped 10 lbs of body fat (I wasn't obese, but even at 5'11" 160 was above my optimal weight since I have a small frame), quit using sunscreen and wore short sleeves and rode in the morning and midday sun often.

I didn't burn once. I got a moderate tan on my arms, but surprisingly little on my legs, neck, face, etc.

I haven't seen my most recent lab tests. So I don't know whether additional sun exposure had any benefits for my bone density. But a few changes to my diet and previous practices worked well for me, at least in terms of sunburn.

I know some folks who wear full skin protection year 'round, and sunscreen. They've had melanomas and are very careful to avoid future risk.

It's possible there are genetic predispositions that account for these differences in experiences, same as the effects of diet and obesity. So what works for me may not be a good practice for others.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-13-20, 06:26 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
When it's summer I have tan lines strong enough that you could think I'm wearing clothes on a nudist beach. I've had kids laugh at me at the pool, people stare at me, and someone even thought I had some disease because of the different colour of my hands caused by cycling gloves.

I just don't care. If you don't like it, look somewhere else.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 02-13-20, 06:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I just don't care. If you don't like it, look somewhere else.
QFT.

I once spent nearly four months on the road riding across the country and then some during one of the hottest summers on record at the time. Looked like an ice cream sandwich. Small price to pay for the experience.
Old 02-13-20, 07:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Keep your jerseys, get a few sets of sun sleeves.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-13-20, 07:09 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Keep your jerseys, get a few sets of sun sleeves.
Depending on your jerseys...may want more than just sleeves.

I'm not exceptionally pale by any means, nor do I burn *that* easily. One summer after a week of Tour de Nebraska (and not even riding during the hottest/sunniest times of day)...I had bib-suspender burn shadow on my back. Since then I use full-sleeve lightweight base-layers.
Old 02-13-20, 07:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Sun sleeves. Buy the cycling brand names if you want for $20-40 or the amazon brand names for $5-10. Ive found they are all equally effective. Like any clothing, there are differences in fit for all of them- some longer, some shorter, some wider in diameter, some narrower in diameter.
I throw all of em away due to being dirty/grungy looking even with regular washing, and none last measurably more time than others, so I now use an amazon brand since it allows me to buy them more frequently and they dont look as bad overall.

They make you a couple degrees warmer, I would guess. It is noticed, but not uncomfortable- thats the best way to describe the effect. And if they get wet, they get your arms cold for a handful of minutes, which is nice.
Old 02-13-20, 07:53 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Tan lines are badges of how many miles you have ridden. When I raced, I looked at my opponents legs to see how muscular they were and the next thing I looked was their tan lines. If they had razor sharp dark tan lines, and fishbelly white skin on the other side, I knew they put in the miles.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 02-13-20, 09:22 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I used to wear long sleeves even in summer to reduce sun exposure, and sunblock on exposed skin. As a kid and most of my adult life I burned easily in the sun. I was always skinny as a kid and young adult and ate everything I wanted, especially sugar and junk carbs. After age 40 I gained weight and by age 50 went from 155 to 205 lbs. It seemed like I sunburned more easily. But I didn't make any connections.

After being diagnosed with osteopenia (lower than normal bone density for my age), and finding that calcium and Vitamin D supplements had zero effect (checked twice a year), I read a bunch of studies on PubMed about the benefits of sun exposure, possible links between sunburn, body fat and sugar intake, doubts about the value of sunscreen, and other indications that prompted me to revise my approach. And reportedly sun exposure helped the body manufacture nitric oxide on the fly in demand to physical activity.

So last year I cut way back on the sugar and junk carbs, dropped 10 lbs of body fat (I wasn't obese, but even at 5'11" 160 was above my optimal weight since I have a small frame), quit using sunscreen and wore short sleeves and rode in the morning and midday sun often.

I didn't burn once. I got a moderate tan on my arms, but surprisingly little on my legs, neck, face, etc.

I haven't seen my most recent lab tests. So I don't know whether additional sun exposure had any benefits for my bone density. But a few changes to my diet and previous practices worked well for me, at least in terms of sunburn.

I know some folks who wear full skin protection year 'round, and sunscreen. They've had melanomas and are very careful to avoid future risk.

It's possible there are genetic predispositions that account for these differences in experiences, same as the effects of diet and obesity. So what works for me may not be a good practice for others.
Sun exposure seems to be something that something that a lot of people overreact to. Often, when we learn that too much of something is bad, we think the best solution is to cut it out entirely. But, as you say, sunlight is associated with a wide range of health benefits. Getting too little is also a bad thing (from the article below, “Avoidance of sun exposure is a risk factor of a similar magnitude as smoking, in terms of life expectancy.”). The USA, in particular, seems to be more stringent about sunscreen than many other places.
Here's an interesting article that discusses several of the points you made.
https://www.outsideonline.com/238075...cancer-science

I don't normally wear sunscreen unless I expect to be outside for an extended period of time (so mainly I wear it for my bike rides). Basically, I just try to avoid getting a burn.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 02-13-20, 09:34 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
So these tan lines are getting ridiculous. On my already dark skin, I now look like I have sleeve tattoos (and this is from only riding 3 times a week, 1.5 hrs a ride)...
Where have you been riding? I don't think I've gone without arm warmers yet this year(unless it's mid-afternoon).
Old 02-13-20, 10:11 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I'm Irish, so you know my relationship with the sun. I started wearing sun sleeves a few years ago and don't know how I got along so many years without them.
Old 02-13-20, 10:41 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
Yellowish, Mediterranean-Semitic type, here. On the bike, I use sun block on up-facing surfaces, e.g., arms, for anything at the height of the day or longer than a couple of hours. I sail all summer in long sleeves and a big ol' hat with copious sun block on the fronts of my legs, hands, face, etc. I've had actinic keratoses on my legs a few times, but conscientious use of sun block seems to prevent them.
Old 02-13-20, 11:17 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Sun exposure seems to be something that something that a lot of people overreact to. Often, when we learn that too much of something is bad, we think the best solution is to cut it out entirely. But, as you say, sunlight is associated with a wide range of health benefits. Getting too little is also a bad thing (from the article below, “Avoidance of sun exposure is a risk factor of a similar magnitude as smoking, in terms of life expectancy.”). The USA, in particular, seems to be more stringent about sunscreen than many other places.
Here's an interesting article that discusses several of the points you made.
https://www.outsideonline.com/238075...cancer-science

I don't normally wear sunscreen unless I expect to be outside for an extended period of time (so mainly I wear it for my bike rides). Basically, I just try to avoid getting a burn.
There's little to no doubt that overexposure to sun carries an increased risk of skin cancer. While there are some who carry this concern too far, applying sunscreen doesn't seem to be much different from wearing a helmet. For those who feel sunscreen is foolish, you may be among the 20% of Americans who will develop skin cancer.
Old 02-13-20, 11:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
You realize that doesn't protect you from UV, right?
Yeah. I was making a joke about Seattle's terrible weather. It's rained 38 of the last 40 days. It's depressing.

I have some base layers that are comfortable even in heat and when I'm sweaty. The thinnest ones fit under a jersey. UPF 50. I even have a sun hoody for hiking. I mean, I love feeling the sun on my skin, but there's a limit.
Old 02-13-20, 11:57 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
So these tan lines are getting ridiculous. On my already dark skin, I now look like I have sleeve tattoos (and this is from only riding 3 times a week, 1.5 hrs a ride)... and let me tell you, I'm not the kind of guy that can pull off sleeve tattoos.
Do any of you wear long sleeve jerseys to protect yourself from the sun/prevent tan lines?
The thing is, it's always hot/sunny where I live and I'm gonna keep wearing bib shorts.
I hear shorts and long sleeves are a fashion fau pa... but then again, I ride alone and don't care what I look like (tan lines aside obviously
I ride with sun sleeves for long days in the sun.

This is check point 2 (mile 120) on The DAMn - I never used sunscreen on arms or legs, never had any issues with sunburn after a full day in the sun. Also, the sleeves do not make me hotter at all (temps were 90+F with high humidity that day).

Funny story, I never ride with bare skin - I use either sunsleeves or sunscreen. Except the last gravel race of the season, Gravel West on Oct 20 (in Minneapolis). It was around freezing as the start of the race but sunny with temps going up 60F, so I stripped down to just summer kit to ride the race. I didn't expect to need sunscreen so late in the season .... dang that left tan lines! (but no sun burn)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 02-19-20 at 07:33 AM. Reason: adding link to sunsleeves & made a dumb on check point 2, it's mile 120 (I posted 180)
Old 02-13-20, 12:34 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Rule #7 : Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.

Velominati ?
Likes For tyrion:
Old 02-13-20, 12:49 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I have perennial tan lines on my upper arms. I've embraced it, and laugh along when people notice them in the dead of winter.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-13-20, 01:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
You may not burn, you may not get skin cancer, but if you spend hundreds of hours in the sun for many years your skin will show it. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-13-20, 01:22 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
There's little to no doubt that overexposure to sun carries an increased risk of skin cancer. While there are some who carry this concern too far, applying sunscreen doesn't seem to be much different from wearing a helmet. For those who feel sunscreen is foolish, you may be among the 20% of Americans who will develop skin cancer.
Overexposure is certainly bad. The question is: what constitutes overexposure? Putting on sunscreen when you're going to be outside for 20 minutes seems pretty extreme, particularly if you aren't very fair skinned.

A comparison of sunscreen to a helmet isn't very apt. A helmet has no real downside from a health perspective, while getting insufficient sunlight seems to pose a real risk to one's physical and mental health. I'll trade a slightly increased risk of skin cancer, the vast majority of which is not particularly dangerous, for:
Lower risk of hypertension
Lower risk of diabetes
Lower risk of depression
Lower risk of prostate, breast, colorectal, and pancreatic cancers
Lower risk of blood clots
Reduced inflammation
and a reduced overall mortality rate.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 02-13-20, 01:26 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
You may not burn, you may not get skin cancer, but if you spend hundreds of hours in the sun for many years your skin will show it. Ask me how I know.
Ok, how?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.