Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Triple triangle frame

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Triple triangle frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 04:18 AM
NormanB

Bikes: single speed bridgestone bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Triple triangle frame

Anyone can tell performance of a triple triangle frame. Is it meant for something just aesthetics. Im planning to have one customized since its the only frame that i dont have. Just curious what the geometry is for.
Thanks for any insights.
Old 08-17-20, 05:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanB
Anyone can tell performance of a triple triangle frame. Is it meant for something just aesthetics. Im planning to have one customized since its the only frame that i dont have. Just curious what the geometry is for.
Thanks for any insights.
What is the question? You state in your first sentence there is a performance difference and then ask if is just aesthetics.

What do you mean “have one customized?

And what do you even mean by “triple triangle”? Are you talking about GT frames? If so, it has nothing to do with the geometry of the frame.
Old 08-17-20, 06:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
"Triple triangle," aka "Hellenic" frames are an aesthetic flourish, not a performance or structural improvement.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-17-20, 06:59 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
They look nice IMO; I have one and the only thing I don't like is that my legs rub the seat stays occasionally. It happens more later into long rides as I get sloppier but its there. This must be a YMMV thing due to frame size, angles, fit, and body proportions. I asked a friend if that happens to him on his GT and he looked at me like I was crazy. I am way skinnier than he.
Old 08-17-20, 07:29 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I think the op reversed his words and forgot to use a question mark. Can anyone tell the ....?

For most GTs, especially 90s metal ones, it is just a way to identify the brand. It's practically their logo.

The relatively recent GT Grade gravel bikes in carbon might actually be different. The seatstays are not bonded to the seat tube, just the top tube connection point. They claim this allows float and acts like a passive suspension. Not much but enough to give a comfy ride. I don't know if their claims are true or if the engineered flex is greater with their design.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 08-17-20, 04:59 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
GT was well known but they were certainly not the only manufacturer making triple triangle frames.

Shogun Kaze lopro bike.

My '87 Nishiki Linear
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-17-20, 05:28 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Not sure if it's more time period or frame size, but the ones that appeal to me the most are when the seat stays are parallel to the downtube.
Old 08-17-20, 06:53 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
Not sure if it's more time period or frame size, but the ones that appeal to me the most are when the seat stays are parallel to the downtube.
A case for frame size being a factor, my smaller Shogun Kaze:

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 08-18-20, 09:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Just a slight variation on the 1890 safety bike frame.
Old 08-18-20, 04:24 PM
nicovlogg

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD4, Ritchey P650b, Cotic Escapade, Colnago C40, Bianchi ?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
They seem to be designed primarily for banging your kneecaps against.
Old 08-21-20, 06:53 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
What is the question? You state in your first sentence there is a performance difference and then ask if is just aesthetics.

What do you mean “have one customized?

And what do you even mean by “triple triangle”? Are you talking about GT frames? If so, it has nothing to do with the geometry of the frame.
hi sorry if its a rollercoaster of thoughts. Yeah maybe i forgot the ? On my sentence. Sorry. I just want some info on the frame, what is the reason for the construction of a triple triangle frame or hellenic frame as mentioned in the thread.. Im planning to have one custom built for me and it a good thing to know some info on a bike's history and i think most of the replies helped a lot. Sorry sir.
Old 08-21-20, 06:55 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all for the infos it helped a lot knowing some background info on a bike. Thank you so much!
Old 08-21-20, 07:45 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
It was supposed to make the rear triangle stiffer, because frame flex was thought to absorb pedaling energy. If memory serves, back when Bicycling used to include measured frame deflection in their bike reviews, such frames often measured stiffer than normal ones with the same tubing. This does make geometric sense. But, since frame flex does not in fact absorb pedaling energy, this is irrelevant for any reason other than subjective preference.

If you like the look, and you like the feel of a stiff, short rear triangle, and if they don't hit your legs, go for it.

The only reason they were made, and the only reason they stopped being made, was fashion. I'd bet that the crapification of GT bicycles in the late 90s and early 2000s is the biggest reason that nobody makes them that way anymore... it was GT's signature thing, so when GT bikes became garbage, the "triple triangle" died along with GTs reputation.

(I always thought it looked coolest on "funny bike" designs. Those Shoguns were the cat's ass when I was a junior racer in the late 80s. Cheapest way to get a cool TT bike. Having a cool TT bike was important back then.)

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-22-20, 09:08 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
It was supposed to make the rear triangle stiffer, because frame flex was thought to absorb pedaling energy. If memory serves, back when Bicycling used to include measured frame deflection in their bike reviews, such frames often measured stiffer than normal ones with the same tubing. This does make geometric sense. But, since frame flex does not in fact absorb pedaling energy, this is irrelevant for any reason other than subjective preference.

If you like the look, and you like the feel of a stiff, short rear triangle, and if they don't hit your legs, go for it.

The only reason they were made, and the only reason they stopped being made, was fashion. I'd bet that the crapification of GT bicycles in the late 90s and early 2000s is the biggest reason that nobody makes them that way anymore... it was GT's signature thing, so when GT bikes became garbage, the "triple triangle" died along with GTs reputation.

(I always thought it looked coolest on "funny bike" designs. Those Shoguns were the cat's ass when I was a junior racer in the late 80s. Cheapest way to get a cool TT bike. Having a cool TT bike was important back then.)

--Shannon
Whoa! so much info, great! Thanks! I personally like the aesthetics and yeah ur right about the legs. Im about to schedule a visit to the frame builder this month and have myself measured. Thanks for all the info and Stay safe everyone