Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Peugeot

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 10:03 AM
kthompson1987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot

I stumbled upon a peugeot recently and am looking for help identifying the year or model and value. It's in somewhat rough shape but it has some amazing detail. If you can give me ANY info on this' it would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Old 08-19-20, 10:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Peugeot catalogs are available online; other than that we need pictures especially of the drive side to help. But you'll need 10 posts before you can upload pictures.
Old 08-19-20, 10:14 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Are the dropouts forged or stamped? Are there any decals that describe tubing type.? Description of the crankset? Seatpost diameter? Hubs and rims? Weight?.
Old 08-19-20, 10:33 AM
kthompson1987

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its white with mostly gold and black emblems except the main decal has rainbow stripesabove and below. It has simplex written on all the gears. Says made in France and "record de mundo"? It mentions tube on one decal. I will check it has stem shifters. Condition is rough and handlebars are definitely not original and is missing a wheel. The one it does have, has etched design on rim. I know nothing about bikes(clearly). Oh it also said Mavac racer on the brakes.
Old 08-19-20, 07:51 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by kthompson1987
Its white with mostly gold and black emblems except the main decal has rainbow stripesabove and below. It has simplex written on all the gears. Says made in France and "record de mundo"? It mentions tube on one decal. I will check it has stem shifters. Condition is rough and handlebars are definitely not original and is missing a wheel. The one it does have, has etched design on rim. I know nothing about bikes(clearly). Oh it also said Mavac racer on the brakes.
If it's a good one, the stickers will call out Reynolds 531. I would buy it. If it was cheap enough. But, since it's missing a wheel I wouldn't pay much for it. Maybe $35.
Old 08-19-20, 07:59 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Something like this 1981? The red lines may be a few years later but this has stem shifters.

Likes For clubman:
Old 08-20-20, 01:14 PM
kthompson1987

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The decals are a lot different.

The decal below the seat post is gold lion with red around it. With red blue black& yellow (maybe green?)stripes above and below it. Then black checkers above and below those. The side decals are gold and black writing . The lion on front fork has no gold. Also has decals on sides of front forks with lion crest in gold and black. The white forks fit into a chrome looking almost crown shaped fitting. It says "tube special" is there any way to looke up by serial #?
Old 08-20-20, 02:40 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Tube special allege? That's Peugeot's in-house tubing, which is affectionately referred to around here as "gas pipe." It sounds like you have some variant of the UO-8, probably THE most widely sold French 10-speed of the Great Bike Boom of the early 70s. Is the bottom half or so of the fork blades chromed, perchance?

The bad, which leads many to turn up their noses at French bikes, period - it's French, from the era when French bikes still used metric dimensions that pretty much no one else used - the threading on the bottom bracket/crank hanger assembly is metric and not today's standard, the interior of the fork steerer tube where the stem fits is .2- mm smaller diameter than the usual size, and sometimes one needs to shim the front derailleur if the old one fails. If the Simplex derailleurs are the black plasticky looking Delrin ones, they may already have cracked. Some of them came from the factory that way. The rear wheel that has survived sounds like the original - a decent enough hub with a steel rim that won't brake well in the rain. If you took it to a bike shop AND they didn't wig out immediately, they would probably still charge you an arm and a leg.

The good - IF this bike fits you; IF you are handy, or willing to learn how to be; IF you are not afraid of trawling forums like this and/or vintage cycling repair manuals; and IF you enjoy scrounging around for a donor bike, it could be fun. I'm part of the chorus that proclaims that the French had a way with gas pipe, and as I write this I have two fine examples sitting in my workshop now, and they're both comparable machines. As the bike sits it's a $25-50 bike, tops. Rebuilt with good used running stuff it probably won't be worth more than $100, hence either you do the work or someone who owes you favors and enjoys it does the work.

If you go to this recent thread you'll see many examples of UO-8s that have been restored, rebuilt, or just repaired and kept roadworthy.
Old 08-20-20, 03:35 PM
kthompson1987

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forks

yes the top is white and a little way down they are silver color.
Old 08-24-20, 01:56 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Do a google search on "white Peugeot uo8". You will likely see dozens of pictures that match your bike.