Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Gonna move out this Garlatti

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 01:21 PM
slporten

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh International 1972 Falcon San remo 1976 Garlatti 1978 Falcon Sen Remo 1983 Angelo Boeris 1989 Vitus 979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Gonna move out this Garlatti

I bought this as a built-out all Campy NR bike a few months ago even though it was way too big for me. I removed the components and put it back together using Triomphe/Victory cranks, hubs and derailleurs. I know the frame has to be older than 86, but I had the stuff lying around. The brakes are Campy GS. The headset, pedals, seat post, bar and stem are SR. Campy dropouts and 60cm C to T. The frame was painted and labeled by the previous owner (a pretty good job IMHO).....It is clean and looks new, but it was done with a rattle can. So, now that I have it together again, I am not sure what it is worth.....any guidance?

Old 08-21-20, 02:34 PM
slporten

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh International 1972 Falcon San remo 1976 Garlatti 1978 Falcon Sen Remo 1983 Angelo Boeris 1989 Vitus 979

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Correction; Dura Ace headset and Suntour seatpost. Just trying to move along some of my orphans.
Old 08-25-20, 11:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
This is kind a unique one. You can usually get the most if you part it out. And as good as the repaint and Triomphe are, neither is often respected. Folks like me looking for a Triomphe crank or a sweet ass Victory wheelset don't want to buy a whole donor bike unless it's dirt cheap.

What is the bottom bracket? JIS or ISO? Looks like a nice match from what I can see on the nds.

If you want to sell as a built up bike, I would ... trim the cables a lot, polish the rear derailleur with 600 grit, use red cotton Newbaum's tape (and spend a little more time perfecting the finishing tape), add clips and straps, lower the fd, raise the seatpost, source the correct stepped ferrule for the rd (free from your bike shop probably), match the tanwall tires, source an '80s saddle, and take the best pics you can manage in the shade of a city park on a sunny day.

​​​Can you get a headbadge? I would think all that might be worth $500 or more to someone. Act quickly or wait til spring. Don't let it sit on a local market collecting dust in their minds over the winter.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 08-25-20 at 11:59 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-26-20, 07:00 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
...If you want to sell as a built up bike, I would ... trim the cables a lot, polish the rear derailleur with 600 grit, use red cotton Newbaum's tape (and spend a little more time perfecting the finishing tape), add clips and straps, lower the fd, raise the seatpost, source the correct stepped ferrule for the rd (free from your bike shop probably), match the tanwall tires, source an '80s saddle, and take the best pics you can manage in the shade of a city park on a sunny day...
This ^ exactly. Do all of these things precisely as written above.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-26-20, 08:12 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
......The NDS crank arm looks like someone tried to remove it with a crow bar....

Originally Posted by slporten

Likes For branko_76:
Old 08-26-20, 12:14 PM
slporten

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The bottom bracket is an ISO sealed Campy something or other.......I cannot recall, and was too rushed to pull it out before taking the pictures.

Surfer Rosa, I think you are right on. I bought this as donor bike for $450 and I left the the bar/stem/cables as I found them. But I guess if I want it sell, it I need to pull it apart and fix those things. All of the Triomphe stuff is from my parts collection and I am sure that the value is more than I can get for the bike. I have had it on the Monterey Craigslist for $480 for a few days and no inquiries. Not even sure why I built it up; I think I am still like a kid who likes to build models and look at them.......it is pretty and even though it is low on the Campy food chain, I think the Triomphe stuff looks nice.

branko, I think the crank arm was probably was treated as you say.....it was that way when I acquired it.

One thing I am now considering; Build up my 1976 Vitus 979 frame. I could go one of three ways on it
1) Strip all of this Triomphe stuff off the Garlatti and use it on the Vitus as it is date correct. Then sell the Garlatti frame to a tall person!
2) Build the Vitus in Shimano equipment that is period correct
3) Build it with all Campy SR......I have most of what I need. Will have to get a braze on FD, but they are not hard to find.

My inclination is to do #3 , as the frame is mint, is my size (56cm) and I regard it as a keeper. But I suspect it was originally all Dura Ace and I always like to bring things back to their original state. And, #1 has some appeal as I really want to do something with the Triomphe group. Choice, choices!