Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-19, 06:16 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yeah, the 58 fits me perfectly, very comfy. The Trekenstein took a little more tweaking to get the fit right. But that's also due to recovery from the shoulder and neck injuries. Now that I'm getting better I'm about to switch the Trekenstein to a longer and maybe lower stem/bar height. But I'm leaving the Ironman as-is.

Mostly I'm wanting one more Ironman to set up as a dedicated TT/tri bike. I'll never ride a triathlon but would like to tackle the state time trial event next year. So having one bike set up with aero bars would give me plenty of time to adapt.

I did have a Trek tri/TT bike but the frame was cracked so I cannibalized the parts for another frame. Some good stuff, including carbon fiber aero bars with 10-speed Dura Ace bar-end shifters, bullhorns and aero brakes, etc. An Ironman frame would be lighter than that Trek aero frame (aluminum and very heavy) and probably more comfy.
Well check out Dave Scott's TT setup. Some might say his frame is too small but hard to argue with the results. Not only 112 miles well under 5 hours but comfortable enough for a 2:40ish marathon immediately after.
That could be your setup; lots of seatpost, long stem, but DANG that drop from saddle to top of stem is wicked.
Old 12-07-19, 06:30 PM
cnskate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Options
A: OEM, like you see on the poster.
B: '85 Super Record 2x7 friction including wheels.
C: 2x7 Synchro; would need a freewheel change.
D: 2x8 Record Ergo; wide double or triple.
E: 2x10 Campy; would need wheels and RD.
F: 2x10 Dura Ace (down tube)
Nice thing about the Equipes is that they were kind of ugly with the OEM decals and original hodge podge of parts. This means you're free to do whatever you want with it without feeling guilty about tarnishing its original beauty. My $6k Wilier Zero 7 has been collecting dust since I cobbled together a 60cm frankenbike Equipe, the best handling bike I've ever had and just a joy to ride.
Old 12-07-19, 06:31 PM
cnskate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, is this now the de facto Centurion thread, not just Ironman's? I have a few semi pro's too
Old 12-07-19, 06:40 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by cnskate
BTW, is this now the de facto Centurion thread, not just Ironman's? I have a few semi pro's too
Post them pics.
Old 12-07-19, 07:21 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I write romance novels and go to conferences for them. They normally have male cover models wandering around the venue in various states of dress. I have seen more than my fair share of banana hammocks.

I dug up the post I was talking about, where two bikes were referred to as MV. I didn't look closely. The other MV is a Tommaso. My bad.

Edit: wrong link.
Do you write full blown Bodice rippers or fairly tame stuff? My wife is into the paranormal romance stuff. About once a year she has to binge the complete Buffy the Vampire series. She's trying to find something to tide her over until Outlander starts back up.
Old 12-07-19, 10:00 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Do you write full blown Bodice rippers or fairly tame stuff? My wife is into the paranormal romance stuff. About once a year she has to binge the complete Buffy the Vampire series. She's trying to find something to tide her over until Outlander starts back up.
I write "sweet" romance. There's sex, but it's all behind closed doors--so my scenes "fade to black". I have read far too many novels with too many of those scenes as page filler or too many awful, boring scenes, to bother subjecting my readers to it. I don't write it well and I have no desire to improve. All of my books are contemporary romance. Some of my work is technically Women's Fiction because of the topics I bring up and the lack of explicit scenes. If your wife is looking for a good paranormal series, Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark is fabulous and I believe it's up to 13 books now. Chloe Hart has a good paranormal series, too, but don't bother reading the last book--it ends in a cliffhanger and she never wrote the following book to resolve it. (She's in my writers' group and I keep harassing her about that.)

My first novel will be published in the next few weeks and I have four scheduled for next year.
Old 12-07-19, 10:04 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Who let you in here?

Just kidding. We love seeing all the Centurions.
Old 12-07-19, 11:06 PM
seypat

I write "sweet" romance. There's sex, but it's all behind closed doors--so my scenes "fade to black". I have read far too many novels with too many of those scenes as page filler or too many awful, boring scenes, to bother subjecting my readers to it. I don't write it well and I have no desire to improve. All of my books are contemporary romance. Some of my work is technically Women's Fiction because of the topics I bring up and the lack of explicit scenes. If your wife is looking for a good paranormal series, Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark is fabulous and I believe it's up to 13 books now. Chloe Hart has a good paranormal series, too, but don't bother reading the last book--it ends in a cliffhanger and she never wrote the following book to resolve it. (She's in my writers' group and I keep harassing her about that.)

My first novel will be published in the next few weeks and I have four scheduled for next year.
I'll give her those suggestions in case she hasn't read them. You can give us the name of the first one when it is available. She will give it a read.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-07-19, 11:14 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Well check out Dave Scott's TT setup. Some might say his frame is too small but hard to argue with the results. Not only 112 miles well under 5 hours but comfortable enough for a 2:40ish marathon immediately after.
That could be your setup; lots of seatpost, long stem, but DANG that drop from saddle to top of stem is wicked.
Here is a question for you. How much time, if any, does a rider spend in the forward facing drops? It looks like they might be somewhat hard to access without a funky wrist angle. You can post a picture of one of yours to explain it. This picture is tiny.

Last edited by seypat; 12-07-19 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 01:10 AM
Bondsy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
How do you like those Mavic Cosmic wheels? I'm kinda tempted. Probably for another bike, not my Ironman. I'm building up a Diamondback Podium carbon frame from odds and ends in the parts bins, but don't have a wheelset yet.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how good an older set of Bontrager Race Lite Aero wheels have been as all-around wheels. I snagged 'em off an older Trek TT/tri bike with a cracked frame but everything else was good. All alloy, not lightweight, but reasonable rim depth (I'm not getting blown off the road even in 20+ mph crosswinds), 16 flat aero spokes per wheel, decent DT Swiss hubs. I planned to save 'em for special occasions but they've become my all-around wheels on an early '90s Trek 5900. Some of our roads are so rough I usually need to true my Araya and Wolber wheels every couple of weeks to fix minor wobbles. But the Bontrager sorta-aero wheels have been stiff and steady, although not as comfy as the older Ironman era wheels for everyday riding.
They are decent wheels but being tublar's and only suitable for 23mm tyres they are a pretty harsh ride. However they spin up really wheel and hold there speed. I have no trouble in cross winds, then again I only take it out when its nice, I wouldn't say they are a practical everyday wheel. Was going to try and find a set of stock wheels but these suited the bike really well.
Old 12-08-19, 01:35 AM
cnskate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who let you in here?

Just kidding. We love seeing all the Centurions.
If it makes you feel better I'm in the market for an Ironman. With the Tange #1 , do they "plane" well for most people?
Old 12-08-19, 07:34 AM
seypat

If it makes you feel better I'm in the market for an Ironman. With the Tange #1 , do they "plane" well for most people?
What size and where are you located? The thread will find you one.
Old 12-08-19, 08:44 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Small MV in St. Louis.

Only $125.
Old 12-08-19, 01:16 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Hunh.
I am of the understanding that our Mr. Tunes knows someone who lives in the St. Louis area, and further believe that this individual would ride a bike of that size...
Old 12-08-19, 01:27 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I get the sense that @RobbieTunes "knows someone who lives...." just about everywhere. Knowhudumsayn?.....
Old 12-08-19, 01:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
...I have been warned that they will crack at some point.
I've read the same reports about the older Bontrager Race Lite Aero wheels, specifically the flanges of the DT Swiss hubs cracking. So far, so good. These wheels are probably 10 years old, taken off an entry level Trek aero TT/tri bike that looks like it was rode hard and put away wet many times. The wheels are more rigid than my low profile Araya and Wolber rim wheels. That's probably due to the alloy deeper section rims (30mm, not aero by today's standards), and flat blade aero spokes that feel like they're under a lot more tension than any of my bikes with 32 or 36 conventional spokes.

Considering the full zoot aero race bikes with deep section aero wheels ridden by several folks in casual club rides, I don't feel over-equipped on these wheels. They're more like everyday wheels now. But I suspect the old school low profile 32 spoke wheels will last longer and be just as good for our typical 15-17 mph rides.
Old 12-08-19, 02:34 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
1988 Centurion Ironman Expert. All original Shimano 105 group. Completely refurbished.

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 12-08-19, 04:48 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by ramzilla
1988 Centurion Ironman Expert. All original Shimano 105 group. Completely refurbished.

And that's how it's done.
Looking So Very Good.
Old 12-08-19, 07:55 PM
cnskate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
What size and where are you located? The thread will find you one.
Thanks, but just bought one on eBay for $110! Newbie seller, so they might balk at shipping cross country. I'm batting 3 for 3 on successful claims against eBay bike sellers this year.
Old 12-08-19, 10:16 PM
bp2k8

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
how

Thanks, but just bought one on eBay for $110! Newbie seller, so they might balk at shipping cross country. I'm batting 3 for 3 on successful claims against eBay bike sellers this year.
how so please enlighten us. You mean the seller tried to back out of the auction because of your location vs their distance of their home location? Or something inaccurate of their description of the bike. I have only done one ebay claim and it was bizarre process. Mybe I did it wrong
Old 12-09-19, 11:38 AM
cnskate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bp2k8
how so please enlighten us. You mean the seller tried to back out of the auction because of your location vs their distance of their home location? Or something inaccurate of their description of the bike. I have only done one ebay claim and it was bizarre process. Mybe I did it wrong
One was wrong size, a semi pro had an unmentioned dent, and another semi pro just never showed up. I went through the regular claims process, takes a few weeks but works. If the seller misrepresents you really have them over a barrel, because eBay will pull the money from their account to refund you and they will be stuck with shipping fees both ways.
Old 12-09-19, 11:48 AM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Ebay has a built in shipping estimator. Which sometimes gets it wrong either on its own or because the seller inputs dimensions wrong..

I like to verity with the seller by PM that a shipping price is correct if it seems absurdly low. Personally I don't think its right to try to force a seller to live up one of those wrong estimates.

I do have to mention this, ebay's international forwarding works great.. at least for me it has so far. I have sold things to international buyers who otherwise wouldn't have been able to buy due to high freight cost.

^Ramzilla I love that aqua blue shade more each time I see it.. man I need some of that blue.

Last edited by riva; 12-09-19 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-09-19, 12:20 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
One was wrong size, a semi pro had an unmentioned dent, and another semi pro just never showed up. I went through the regular claims process, takes a few weeks but works. If the seller misrepresents you really have them over a barrel, because eBay will pull the money from their account to refund you and they will be stuck with shipping fees both ways.
I hope I'm wrong, but it reads like you try to manipulate simple errors into great deals, at the expense of sellers, be it incorrect shipping or something...
I hope I'm wrong, but it also reads like you enjoy doing so...
I hope I'm wrong, but I'd definitely avoid selling you anything.
This is a generous group. Use that against us, and well, it won't be.

I hope I'm right: I'll assume your good taste in bikes is certifiable, and something just got lost in translation...

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-09-19 at 12:24 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-09-19, 12:36 PM
cnskate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, you are wrong. If a seller makes a mistake on shipping estimate I won't hold it against them as long as I get a refund. If they deliberately misrepresent or just plain try to scam, like the last few sellers I have dealt with, eBay makes sure you get your money back, which is my point.
Old 12-09-19, 01:07 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
You know its something that you're not going to be satisfied with, but you order it anyway.

Wouldn't you rather clear things up from the git go? Poor schmuck hits a 2 instead of 3 and all of a sudden he's got to deal with you extorting him.
Likes For riva:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.