Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A recent study found that drivers viewed cyclists wearing a helmet or safety vest as

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

A recent study found that drivers viewed cyclists wearing a helmet or safety vest as

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-23, 07:16 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

The bike helmet debate rages on as study finds drivers view cyclists wearing safety gear as 'less human' (msn.com)

A recent study found that drivers viewed cyclists wearing a helmet or safety vest as "less human."
  • This research could add fuel to the debate over bike helmet mandates in the US.
  • Many bicycling advocates argue helmet mandates make bicyclists less safe for a variety of reasons.
Old 06-26-23, 07:32 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
kind of a weak study IMO, just asking people questions based on photos. a better study would be to somehow get lots and lots of dashcam/integrated car camera footage and analyze actual driver behavior in different situations. of course that would be really hard.

like most of us, i always, always, always wear a helmet when riding solo, fast, long distances, etc. but when i ride with my kids on slow streets and bike paths in the city, they wear helmets and i do not precisely because of the decent amount of research that suggests others do behave somewhat more deferentially when a rider isn't wearing a helmet. i believe this combo is the safest possible for them, and at the speeds and types of paths/roads involved the risk to me is acceptable. i realize the study is building on the referenced one which concluded that "respondents who rated cyclists as 89 percent human or less showed 1.87 times more direct aggressive behaviors to cyclists compared to the respondents who rated cyclist as more than 90 percent human," but without having read that entire paper, it's not clear to me how they came to that conclusion. (the 1.87x)
Old 06-26-23, 09:41 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Most reported behavioral effects should be treated as preliminary, as the effect size tends to diminish upon replication of the study, sometimes to zero.

I agree that better studies would be based on real life observations by detached observers using video. Even then, doing social science research in a scientific fashion and getting reliable results is hard and might not be forthcoming in my lifetime.

At the same time, I wonder about the relevance of the effect, if it turns out to be real. I don't care if you dehumanize me. I just don't want you to run me over. And I have a hunch that in most crashes, the driver doesn't "see" the cyclist, or they otherwise misjudge the situation with no time to form a conscious personal opinion about me. If I'm invisible, it doesn't matter what I'm wearing.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-27-23, 12:11 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
So again what is your personal opinion on this extremely weak study grantelmwood ? What is the point of the link are you for the study, against the study do you agree, disagree? Do you have any opinions of your own? Are you just trying out your copy and paste skills?

Also did you read the article or the study, did you know it was done in Australia and may not be relevant to a completely different country?

If you want to just copy paste stuff, open up a Word document (since you use MSN I would guess you are a windoze user) and then copy and paste all the articles and videos to your hearts content or if you need to share them maybe create a blog where you can just copy and paste stuff with zero opinions about what you have copy and pasted and people can find it as they need it. Posting it here with zero opinion is kind of silly. If I wanted a news aggregator I can get tons of them all over the net that are way better.

Like Gresp15C said I don't care about being human, I just don't want to get hit either. I also don't think my clothing or lack of clothing has much of a real world effect to someone crashing into me unless intentional and in that case the person is a psychopath and probably shouldn't have been allowed a license if they even had one.

Also looking at the pictures they used they aren't great pictures and those safety vests are ugly, granted pretty much all of them are ugly but there are better vests out there that I would have chosen and if they are using safety vests then I think the study should have included road construction workers as well since they were vests? Are they less than human for wearing a vest or did the few people in the study have a bias against cyclists in general and the vest just made them more visible for the study?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-27-23, 05:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So? Even if it's right,. what's the solution? Wigs that go over helmets? More "human" high viz?
Ride helmetless in dark clothing? No thanks.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-27-23, 05:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

This should get dumped into the helmet sticky thread.
Old 06-27-23, 11:15 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Except there is no content aside from a few of us giving our opinions, the OP didn't provide anything but a copy paste.

I wouldn't dump this into that thread.
Old 06-27-23, 11:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
what a moronic survey
Old 06-27-23, 01:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
Not commenting about the quality or methodology of the survey, but I understand the results.

Over last 50+ years I've noticed cyclists becoming more assertive (for better or worse, not a value judgement). I can see how drivers might associate that assertiveness with cyclists kitted out that way, and therefore focusing their resentment selectively. This isn't any different that how we, as cyclists, make judgements about drivers based on the type of car or pickup, so the only surprise is that anybody is surprised.

On a side note, I found it interesting that they said that bicycle advocates were arguing against helmet mandates. Years ago, as helmet use was becoming mainstream, the only people talking helmet mandates were self appointed bike advocates. This is one reason I parted company form bike advocacy years ago, and I remember many times where I'd be in the minority arguing against mandates at public meetings. OTOH- this came out of Australia, where there's been a national helmet mandate for decades, so maybe the shoe is on the other foot down there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-27-23, 01:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Didn't we just do this?

Edit: yup https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...anization.html
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-27-23, 01:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
fify.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-27-23, 02:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Not commenting about the quality or methodology of the survey, but I understand the results.

Over last 50+ years I've noticed cyclists becoming more assertive (for better or worse, not a value judgement). I can see how drivers might associate that assertiveness with cyclists kitted out that way, and therefore focusing their resentment selectively. This isn't any different that how we, as cyclists, make judgements about drivers based on the type of car or pickup, so the only surprise is that anybody is surprised.

On a side note, I found it interesting that they said that bicycle advocates were arguing against helmet mandates. Years ago, as helmet use was becoming mainstream, the only people talking helmet mandates were self appointed bike advocates. This is one reason I parted company form bike advocacy years ago, and I remember many times where I'd be in the minority arguing against mandates at public meetings. OTOH- this came out of Australia, where there's been a national helmet mandate for decades, so maybe the shoe is on the other foot down there.
I don't see or hear a lot of people arguing for mandates for adults these days. The selective enforcement issues are just too glaring, and it's just not effective. The kids' mandate is on the books in most states, and enforcement is pretty much nonexistent. My understanding is that the emphasis has gone to promoting the use by giving away free helmets to kids.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-27-23, 02:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I don't see or hear a lot of people arguing for mandates for adults these days. The selective enforcement issues are just too glaring, and it's just not effective. The kids' mandate is on the books in most states, and enforcement is pretty much nonexistent. My understanding is that the emphasis has gone to promoting the use by giving away free helmets to kids.
All that's beside the point. This thread isn't about helmets per se. It's about driver perceptions.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 06-27-23, 02:35 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So again what is your personal opinion on this extremely weak study grantelmwood ? What is the point of the link are you for the study, against the study do you agree, disagree? Do you have any opinions of your own? Are you just trying out your copy and paste skills?

Also did you read the article or the study, did you know it was done in Australia and may not be relevant to a completely different country?

If you want to just copy paste stuff, open up a Word document (since you use MSN I would guess you are a windoze user) and then copy and paste all the articles and videos to your hearts content or if you need to share them maybe create a blog where you can just copy and paste stuff with zero opinions about what you have copy and pasted and people can find it as they need it. Posting it here with zero opinion is kind of silly. If I wanted a news aggregator I can get tons of them all over the net that are way better.

Like Gresp15C said I don't care about being human, I just don't want to get hit either. I also don't think my clothing or lack of clothing has much of a real world effect to someone crashing into me unless intentional and in that case the person is a psychopath and probably shouldn't have been allowed a license if they even had one.

Also looking at the pictures they used they aren't great pictures and those safety vests are ugly, granted pretty much all of them are ugly but there are better vests out there that I would have chosen and if they are using safety vests then I think the study should have included road construction workers as well since they were vests? Are they less than human for wearing a vest or did the few people in the study have a bias against cyclists in general and the vest just made them more visible for the study?
This is a very good post. I have little use for copy and paste dolts.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-27-23, 02:43 PM
FBinNY 

Why are folks attacking the OP?

Regardless of the quality or import of this survey, it is out there and of interest to anyone who rides public roads.

The OP is right to post a link, allowing any of us to read the the article and draw our own conclusions. IMO this "cut and paste" post is more valuable than knowing what the OP thinks.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-27-23, 02:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

All that's beside the point. This thread isn't about helmets per se. It's about driver perceptions.

So it's wrong to respond to your "side note"?

You made a comment about advocates, I think their position has evolved a bit.

I have no idea if people associate being kitted with being assertive and that's why drivers dehumanize them and are therefore hostile. That's way too speculative (how many logic leaps?) to merit much discussion as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-27-23, 02:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Why are folks attacking the OP?

Regardless of the quality or import of this survey, it is out there and of interest to anyone who rides public roads.

The OP is right to post a link, allowing any of us to read the the article and draw our own conclusions. IMO this "cut and paste" post is more valuable than knowing what the OP thinks.
The reason for it is they have no substance of their own. They are trying to win a contest nobody knows about for the most posts at one time. A news aggregator is fine for those who want it but this is a forum not a news aggregator.
Old 06-27-23, 03:02 PM
FBinNY 

So it's wrong to respond to your "side note"?

You made a comment about advocates, I think their position has evolved a bit......
Not at all, but still beside the point. Especially since I said it was a side note and was clear that I was speaking about the past.

Old 06-27-23, 03:15 PM
FBinNY 

The reason for it is they have no substance of their own. They are trying to win a contest nobody knows about for the most posts at one time. A news aggregator is fine for those who want it but this is a forum not a news aggregator.
Maybe so, and if true, I get it.

For my part, I prefer to consider the massage more than the messenger.

I got the original article on a news feed earlier, and considered posting, but was undecided whether it was worth the effort.

That said, many here don't get news feeds, so I don't see the effort to share news as problematic. One is always free to ignore it.

BTW - This survey mirrors one I pretty vaguely remember front the USA a while back that purportedly showed that helmeted riders got closer passes. No value judgement on that either, but the similarity makes both more interesting.

Of course, even if there's truth here, we're still faced with whether the pan is less unsafe than the fire.
Old 06-27-23, 03:26 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I suspect such studies intend to prove a point from the outset. In any case I give them no credence and certainly wouldn't alter my riding or attire in any way based on their contentions.
Old 06-27-23, 05:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Maybe so, and if true, I get it.

For my part, I prefer to consider the massage more than the messenger.

I got the original article on a news feed earlier, and considered posting, but was undecided whether it was worth the effort.

That said, many here don't get news feeds, so I don't see the effort to share news as problematic. One is always free to ignore it.

BTW - This survey mirrors one I pretty vaguely remember front the USA a while back that purportedly showed that helmeted riders got closer passes. No value judgement on that either, but the similarity makes both more interesting.

Of course, even if there's truth here, we're still faced with whether the pan is less unsafe than the fire.
It feels very true especially since they just posted on the very same topic just recently.
I like a good massage as well

I think if you had posted it you probably would have posted some opinion on the article and that would be have been great. That I think is the whole point of posting a link as your own post.
Old 06-27-23, 05:48 PM
FBinNY 

It feels very true especially since they just posted on the very same topic just recently.
I like a good massage as well

I think if you had posted it you probably would have posted some opinion on the article and that would be have been great. That I think is the whole point of posting a link as your ⁸own post.
We have different outlooks. I find lots of things interesting, and worth thinking about, though without a personal opinion.

I'll often post a link I find interesting with an intro like...

Offered without opinion, for your consideration......

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-27-23, 08:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

We have different outlooks. I find lots of things interesting, and worth thinking about, though without a personal opinion.

I'll often post a link I find interesting with an intro like...

Offered without opinion, for your consideration......
Very possible I don't use Outlook, Thunderbird was my preferred email client but now I just log in on the website.

Even then at least you had an intro it wasn't just a straight copy paste.
Old 06-27-23, 10:11 PM
FBinNY 

Very possible I don't use Outlook, Thunderbird was my preferred email client but now I just log in on the website.

Even then at least you had an intro it wasn't just a straight copy paste.
In case you didn't intend humor.....

Long before Outlook became an email program, it wasn't capped and was simply one's personal way of looking at life.

Old 06-27-23, 11:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

In case you didn't intend humor.....

Long before Outlook became an email program, it wasn't capped and was simply one's personal way of looking at life.
No I very much intended humour! We gotta laugh and have some fun here or what's it all for?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.