Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Full Shock mountain bike under $600

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 12:53 PM
anushn@live.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am an amateur biker (maybe a couple of times weekly). I am looking for a new bike for under $600. I want to avoid getting a used bike and spending $ on it.

Any recommendations with a link to a website are appreciated.
Old 03-06-24, 12:57 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by anushn@live.com
I am an amateur biker (maybe a couple of times weekly). I am looking for a new bike for under $600. I want to avoid getting a used bike and spending $ on it.

Any recommendations with a link to a website are appreciated.
I hate to break this news, but new full suspension mountain bikes under $600 are all garbage. You would be much better off with a hard tail at that price level. As for reputable brands, Giant are good value for money and should have something in that price range.
Old 03-06-24, 12:58 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
One can replace the brake pads, bike chain, tires, and saddle of a used bike for very little money. I would rather pay $600 for a bike that sold new for $1500 a few years ago and has far better components, and then change out the saddle and tires should I want to do so.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 03-06-24, 01:17 PM
anushn@live.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any recommendation on where to find one outside of Ebay? What brand etc?
Old 03-06-24, 01:18 PM
anushn@live.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will look at Giant.
Old 03-06-24, 01:46 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
any recommendation on where to find one outside of Ebay? What brand etc?
Facebook Marketplace.
Old 03-06-24, 03:37 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I second Facebook Marketplace. I've also found bikes on Craig's list.
Old 03-06-24, 03:43 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Facebook Marketplace.
Also Bicycle Blue Book: Mountain Bikes

Old 03-06-24, 04:21 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Didn't know THAT existed, however, for local purchases, FB replaced Craigslist 10 fold.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 03-06-24, 04:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
I've bought used bikes from eBay and the buys/sell section of Pinkbike. However, I knew what I was looking for, and looking at. Knowledge makes a huge difference in this situation.
Old 03-06-24, 05:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Question: What type of riding do you do? do you really need full suspension?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-06-24, 06:09 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Question: What type of riding do you do? do you really need full suspension?

This
Old 03-06-24, 06:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
First off, there is little likelihood that you will find any suspended bike for $600 that is going to be worth the money. A5 that price point you get heavy shocks with little control that would probably make the bike less, not more nimble.

You can go to BikesDirect for lower-cost bikes of all kinds (I haven't checked the site in a while but prices used to be okay.) Or, go to any major manufacturer's website and see what they offer. Learn about things like "rebound" and lock-out" and such. Look at how much travel different forks/shocks offer. Decide what you need.

Do you plan to launch off ten-foot drops? Do you want to ride mostly smooth trails with some roots and rocks and ruts? Do you want to go really fast? Do you want to go downhill at 40 mph over boulders and logs the size of people?

Bike suspension is so advanced nowadays that you can get a bike which will let you ride terrain your sill alone will not let you ride (ask me how I know.) But .... to get the good stuff you either need to pay the big bucks or get incredibly lucky online (FB, CL.) You can find great deals on lightly used bikes online.... but remember mountain bikes by their nature tend to get abused, and I don't care how good a shock or fork is, if it hasn't been maintained it can blow a seal or something and leave you stuck. You need to really know what you are looking for and when you go to look at a specific bike, you need to know what you are looking at.

A key question others have asked is, "Do you need full suspension?" I am not judging or even suggesting---I ride F/S because I don't have the skills I once had, and I don't care. But ... it is your choice. What kind of trails do you want to ride? How do you want to ride them? If you want to bash your way over obstacles with zero technique then F/S is an option. If you plan to ride really gnarly trails F/S is an option. If you are a more mo0derate rider who wants to put in a little effort t develop some riding skills, hardtail is lighter, simpler, and a lot cheaper.

Whichever route you choose, do your research. Decide what you want to ride, and how, and learn about what is out there.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-06-24, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
There is no full suspension bikes that are going to be that low and even increasing your budget by a bit probably won't land you much of a bike. For $600 a single speed is what you need. If you are willing to up the budget you can get a much better bike and start to look at more geared bikes. For a decent mountain bike I would put your budget at at least $1200 and focus on air suspension at the front from a known quantity and quality (think Fox, RockShox, MRP, Cane Creek, Manitou, Marzocchi even SR Suntour air stuff is decent for a beginner) and generally that will land you with decent hydraulic disc brakes and probably at least a 10 speed drivetrain which will likely be of some quality.

However if you are not mountain biking you don't need a mountain bike and you can put the money towards a hybrid and if you find a nicer one designed around gravel you can fit a little wider tire and hopefully again get 10 speed and above. However if my budget is truly tight and I don't know much about bikes a single speed is still quite perfect maybe not for every situation but for the budget you can get a decent one that will last a while.

In the end if you do end up with buying a used bike I would probably avoid anything with suspension unless you know a lot about suspension or are willing to put money towards getting it all serviced or rebuilt or replaced depending on age. I would also see if they are willing to meet at your local bike shop and see if your local bike shop is willing to look over the bike and give you an estimate for repair as needed (not for value of the bike, they generally won't do that) or bring someone who is actually knowledgeable about bikes (not just a friend who commutes or rides a road bike on the weekend, they usually are about as useful as a dry sponge). Also keep in mind with a used bike you will get no warranties or manufacturer support from it so in the instance of Trek or Specialized and potentially others they have frame warranties that go for the lifetime and if you end up needing it, it really comes in handy.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-07-24, 01:58 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
The only situation where a $600 full suspension bike makes any sense at all is if you have enough back problems that riding a rigid bike isn't possible, and you want to use it as a bike to just ride around casually rather than actually use it as a mountain bike. The cheap, poorly designed suspension will make such a bike quite heavy and inefficient, but if your only choice is between a heavy slow bike or not being able to ride at all, then you may as well chose the option that lets you ride. If you can ride a rigid bike, you will be better off going that route.

There aren't any bike shop quality brands that will have a full suspension option at that price. So your two choices are to grab something from bikesdirect, or to grab something from a department store. Bikes from bikesdirect will actually come in multiple sizes so you have a better chance of it fitting properly, have components about the same level of quality as an entry-level bike shop bike, may have issues with poorly made frames, and come lazily slapped together and thrown in a box. Bikes from a department store only come in one size for each model, have low quality components, may have issues with poorly made frames, might be more willing to accept fenders and racks, and will be lazily slapped together by someone who may or may not know anything about bicycles. Either way, it would be worth saving a bit of your budget to take the bike to a bike shop to make sure it is actually put together properly and adjusted.

Going with a used bike shop bike can get you a much lighter bike with suspension that is well designed, though a used full suspension bike has a greater chance of being an expensive can of worms if you don't know what to look for.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 03-07-24, 03:32 PM
anushn@live.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very good points. I was looking at the FB marketplace and saw bikes under $800. I am not a bike expert; I just ride casually and don't know how much work needs to be put into one to fix it incase it has issues vs. going to BikesDirect. I got my prior bike from BikesDirect, a full-suspension Fuji bike (yup, most folks passed me), for about $700.
Old 03-07-24, 03:37 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I hate to break this news, but new full suspension mountain bikes under $600 are all garbage. You would be much better off with a hard tail at that price level. As for reputable brands, Giant are good value for money and should have something in that price range.
^^^This.

The Giant Stance may be the best bang for the buck right now. My only hang up with it would be house branded fork. Don't know much about it.

Last edited by prj71; 03-07-24 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-07-24, 04:08 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Very good points. I was looking at the FB marketplace and saw bikes under $800. I am not a bike expert; I just ride casually and don't know how much work needs to be put into one to fix it incase it has issues vs. going to BikesDirect. I got my prior bike from BikesDirect, a full-suspension Fuji bike (yup, most folks passed me), for about $700.
If you still have your Fuji, it fits you, and the frame isn't broken, chances are you can get a better result by fixing any issues with it and upgrading any parts that you aren't happy with on it. Unless literally every single part needs replacement, $600 should go very far in getting in good shape.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 03-07-24, 04:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Unless something on the bike isn't working right, getting passed by most folks is less about the bike than you probably think it is.

I'm a little confused why you want to replace one low-budget FS bike with another low-budget FS bike. What do you expect to be different?
Old 03-07-24, 04:54 PM
anushn@live.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was stolen a few days ago and looking for a replacement.
Old 03-07-24, 05:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

It was stolen a few days ago and looking for a replacement.
Bummer.

What type of riding do you do where FS is an important factor? Are you regularly riding on roads and trails with rough/demanding/technical features?
Old 03-07-24, 05:15 PM
anushn@live.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the look. I ride on a combination of road and minor rough trails/dirt roads up & downhill. Nothing major.
Old 03-07-24, 05:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I like the look. I ride on a combination of road and minor rough trails/dirt roads up & downhill. Nothing major.
Understood. Just be aware that you can get a higher-quality bike for the same money if you went with a hardtail. I know folks have already made that point in this thread.
Old 03-07-24, 05:47 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Based on your riding requirements I'm going to go out on a limb and say all you may need is an "older/quality framed" rigid MTN bike with proper tires/inflation. You'll most likely get more for your $$ and the rigid will be lighter for better response and less maintenance. "Looks" is a personal thing and personally I like my bikes as basic as possible.
Learn to use your arms and legs as the "suspension".....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 03-07-24, 05:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Based on your riding requirements I'm going to go out on a limb and say all you may need is an "older/quality framed" rigid MTN bike with proper tires/inflation. You'll most likely get more for your $$ and the rigid will be lighter for better response and less maintenance. "Looks" is a personal thing and personally I like my bikes as basic as possible.
Learn to use your arms and legs as "suspension".....
I think the rebuttal "I like the look" (of full-suspension bikes) should be respected.
Likes For Trakhak:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.