Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

My bike and weight history

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 08:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts

So, it's been a while since I have popped in to say hey...Hey.

I have been progressing slowly, but surely on my weight loss and at this point, only 10 lbs away from my original weight loss goal. I started my little journey many years ago and have gone up and down in weight over the years. However, I stuck to it some years better than others. This has been a good year for me.

In the beginning, I was 375 lbs and I rode this and to date, have over 5K miles on it and still ride it to work on occasion. I even took it down to the frame and rebuilt it in 2009 with higher grade parts. I love this bike.

Then I lost a bunch of weight, about 50 lbs and decided I wanted a true road bike, found this on craig's list and put a little over 1K on it until it developed a small crack at the bottom bracket, but it was a great bike, I kept the wheels, they have shimano 600 hubs on them and make excellent backup wheels.

Once I got over the losing the Allez, I picked up a CAAD9 in late 2007. I loved this bike and the raw look of the frame. Rode this for 3.8K, it was a great bike. Lost almost 50 lbs while riding it. So now I am down 100-110 lbs at this point, but sliding up and down, never losing more. Grew a little frustrated then became a work-a-holic for a couple of years, it was ugly.

But the call of the Steel Frame was calling. Ahhhh the sweet calling of a smooth buttery ride of a steel frame. It is heavy at 26 lbs full ride weight, but it is a sweet ride. My only complaint is it is a beast to keep going after 60 miles. I finally broke through my plateau riding it though and took off another 30-40 lbs.

I am now sitting at 233 lbs, 8 lbs from my original goal of 225 lbs and down 142 lbs total. I popped into my LBS today for a quick chat on a part for my wife's bike and was looking at some of the Cannondale bikes the place had on sale. I could not resist the call of the Carbon, took one for a test ride and well....I have been resistance due to my weight all these years, but that is no longer an issue. Meet the new bike, sames as the old bike....sorry... listening to The Who.....

Meet the 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5

It came with Shimano RS10 wheels, and I am thinking of moving to the Mavic Ksyrium Elite S (shown), but Mavic seems to have a 220 lb limit, so thinking I am going to back off of those and build some out with more spokes. I would like at least 24 on the rear, the Mavics only have 20, or find something else with a higher weight limit.

the bike weighs in at 16.7 lbs.

Anyway, that is just my little way to bring you up to date.

Does anyone over the 220 lbs ride these wheels? Any issues?

Old 09-07-13, 09:32 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I ride your old CAAD with no complaints. I would probably get high end shifters and better wheels before I bought a new bike- but thats me.

Oh yes, and welcome to the cult of CAAD!
(secret handshake)
Old 09-07-13, 11:23 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 2 sets of Ksyrium SSC wheels--one set I bought used with a couple thousand miles on them and the other I bought new. I've been as heavy as 250 (maybe 248) and am currently 235 right now, and have put hundreds of miles on each set with zero issues. None. You'll hear similar stories from many on here.

Mavik Aksiums also seem to be well reviewed by Clyde's.
Old 09-08-13, 02:32 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
The trouble with mavic system wheels is that if you bust a spoke, you're SOL until somebody can order you that special spoke. Boyd, November and that ilk all make wheels that would suit you well for a reasonable price if you're interested in going that route.
Old 09-08-13, 08:14 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Yea the CAAD9 was a nice bike, but a little big for me, I should have stuck with the 54, but went with the 56. I could never get really comfortable on it.

Thanks for the thoughts on the Mavics...I was doing to research last night and a friend called me and told me he loves his Bontrager Race Lite TLR wheels. He made the move to tubeless and said these have been great wheels for him and they seem to have a fairly good rep with the reviewers I've read. I've thought about going tubeless so this might be a good option down the road. No weight limit and they can convert easily since they are designed for it.

Old 09-08-13, 10:03 AM
Crash_N_Carry

Bikes: 2005 Raliegh Grand Prix w/significant upgrades. 2013 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's since last August on my bike. I just checked my weight this morning and I'm 254. I bought them when I was 280lbs. My LBS recommended them since (as they put it) they're built like a tank and are virtually bomb proof. After putting close to 1K miles on them and just how many potholes I've accidentally hit, and only last week had to have the rear wheel trued up since it was slightly crooked (as in a millimeter or two deflection), I believe it!

The wheels that came with my bike were Alexrims AT400's and the didn't make it much past 400 miles before breaking spokes.

I'll definitely be putting Mavics on my next bike. You can have the Mavics on my current bike after you rip them from my cold dead hands though.