Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend (or Week's) Rides -- August 3/4/5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 06:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

You know the drill ... tell us all about your cycling adventures!!!
Old 08-03-18, 06:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Friday -- Rowan went for a bit of a walk (about 1.4 km)

And because I sat on my butt at work all day, I figured I'd check out Zwift's new route ...

Distance: 10.22km
Elevation: 81m
Moving Time: 24:51
Elapsed Time: 24:51

......................... Avg .................... Max
Speed ............. 24.7km/h ............... 57.2km/h
Heart Rate ...... 126bpm ................. 153bpm
Cadence ......... 76 ......................... 110
Power ............ 95W ...................... 192W
Old 08-04-18, 03:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- Today was a nice day. The sun shone. The temperature reached 14C ... and Rowan and I went to the beach.

He walked about 1.6 km while I ran, then we walked together.

I walked 0.9 km and ran 2 km.

Run Distance: 2.07 km
Elevation: 16m
Moving Time: 15:25
Elapsed Time: 15:43
Pace: 7:25/km

A bit later, we both rode our trainers (bicycles on trainers). I set Rowan up with Zwift, and he was off and riding. He did the new Innsbruck loop ... 27 min. While he was doing that, I was trying to set up my Zwift, but it just didn't want to connect for a while. Eventually, I got there ...

Distance: 18.27 km
Elevation: 155 m
Moving Time: 46:22
Elapsed Time: 46:22

......................... Avg ............. Max
Speed ............. 23.6 km/h ...... 59.8 km/h
Heart Rate ...... 123 bpm ........ 153 bpm
Cadence ......... 73 .................. 127
Power ............. 91 W .............. 262 W

On our beach ...

With my HOKA ONE ONE running shoes ...

Rowan ... upright! But taking a little break.

Old 08-04-18, 07:08 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
^ Looking happy guys!
Old 08-04-18, 07:13 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Friday - Still dealing with messed up lungs, high temps, smoky air and fresh chipseal.

But I got out anyway on the Jan De Rues and put it around 24 miles. About 10 miles in I "attacked" a half mile sprint segment just to get a feel for it and to hopefully clear out my lungs. Got a wind aided KOM (doesn't count) but it didnt' help the lungs. Spent the rest of the ride trying to get air into me and dizzy. Fun stuff, LOL!

Really windy day too. Hoping for a better ride today. Still planning on heading up one of the mountains if my lungs can handle it.

This bike does like to fly and fitting the 700 x 28 to the front took out some harshness.
Old 08-04-18, 07:15 AM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Due to travel will only get in one ride this weekend, and that will be tomorrow.

My rides this week have been the following:
Sun Jul 29th
AvgSpeed 16.1mi/h
MaxSpeed 32.4mi/h
Heart Rate151bpm 167bpm
Calories1,133
Temperature37℉
Elapsed Time1:13:56
817 Feet of climb

Two rides on Monday:
AvgSpeed18.7mi/h
Max Speed 27.3mi/h
Avg Heart Rate157bpm
Max HR 170bpm
Calories744
Temperature 63℉
Elapsed Time45:58
539 feet of climb

Ride2
AvgSpeed10.7mi/h
MaxSpeed26.4mi/h
Avg Heart Rate129bpm
Max HR172bpm
Calories 574
Temperature77℉
Elapsed Time49:43
486 feet of climb

Wednesday:
AvgSpeed16.8mi/h
Max Speed 36.9mi/h
Avg Heart Rate149bpm
Max HR169bpm
Calories1,698
Temperature57℉
Elapsed Time1:54:22
1,375 feet of climb

Thursday
AvgSpeed18.6mi/h
Max Speed 30.6mi/h
AvgHeart Rate156bpm
Max HR172bpm
Calories915
Temperature50℉
Elapsed Time57:00
653 Feet of climb

I was most excited about the second ride on Monday. Got my wife back on a bike for the first time in 20 years. Now that vacation is over, I'm hoping she'll start riding some at home. Riding the hills/trails in CO had her a bit tense, so riding the flats back home will be much better for her to get used to riding again.

Last edited by OUGrad05; 08-05-18 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-04-18, 10:44 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Friday - Still dealing with messed up lungs, high temps, smoky air and fresh chipseal.

But I got out anyway on the Jan De Rues and put it around 24 miles. About 10 miles in I "attacked" a half mile sprint segment just to get a feel for it and to hopefully clear out my lungs. Got a wind aided KOM (doesn't count) but it didnt' help the lungs. Spent the rest of the ride trying to get air into me and dizzy. Fun stuff, LOL!

Really windy day too. Hoping for a better ride today. Still planning on heading up one of the mountains if my lungs can handle it.

This bike does like to fly and fitting the 700 x 28 to the front took out some harshness.

Hope you continue to feel better.

I'm always kind of shocked when someone says that they got a KOM since in my area

segments have 20k+ entries & mere mortals have no shot.

For example, the other day I got a PR on a climb that put me in 2,900th place out of 19k folks (& 96,000 entries!).

Last edited by woodcraft; 08-04-18 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 06:56 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by woodcraft

I'm always kind of shocked when someone says that they got a KOM since in my area

For example, the other day I got a PR on a climb that put me in 2,900th place out of 19k folks (& 96,000 entries!).
You need to move, LOL! Where I live most segments have you only competing with around 2000 folks on the side road segments. But we also get the pro's almost annually with the Tour Of Utah as well as hosting the Collegiate Nationals. So I can't even get a respectably place on the segments they ride normally. Although...I do have a sprint KOM (on the 87 Schwinn Circuit) were the 3rd place guy is Levi Leipheimer. Mainly I just shoot for breaking into the top 10. There's two local guys I'm normally chasing on the segments. It's all fun and helps make me push harder since I ride solo.
Old 08-04-18, 07:02 PM
jamesdak 

Saturday - 52 miles today. Felt better but not back to normal. Decided to do the climb up snowbasin since it was finally a cool morning. Then I stayed out to get in at least 50 miles. Still real smoky in the valley, we need so rain to clear the air. A very enjoyable ride today.

Midway of the climb

Near the top of the climb

Near the top of the climb

Halfway up, the gate closing the road to cars

Up top

The creek is hardly running, too dry this year

Back in the valley
Old 08-05-18, 12:45 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Visiting Mom in Michigan this weekend, but managed to sneak in a few miles - 17 miles and ~1000' on Friday, and 13 miles and ~1070' on Saturday.

I did my best to find as many hills as possible They seem to be much shorter than what I'm used to - more bumps than climbs - but remarkably steep!

Last edited by wipekitty; 08-05-18 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 08-05-18, 01:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Saturday evening, did 20 miles on a familiar nearby roller coaster route. Faster than average in mostly neutral conditions, 16-17 mph overall -- fast for me. Usually I'm around 15 mph. I skipped the local fast club's B-group ride Saturday morning because I usually struggle to keep up with them, but when I checked Strava we all had the same times on the same route, so I could have kept up if I'd felt like getting up early.

Ortho doc gave me an anti-inflammatory injection last week for my shoulder and told me to ease up a bit, and take at least one rest day between workouts. So my only outdoor ride this weekend was Saturday evening.

But I can still only manage about 20-30 miles outdoors, or an hour or so on the trainer, before the shoulder and neck aches too much. Time on the bike seems to be more a factor than anything else. Fortunately my favorite routes have been newly blacktopped so some of the chipseal is nice and smooth again.

Mostly I'm doing interval training indoors. Seems to be helpful with my outdoor rides. Except for the heat. Nothing helps with that except riding in the heat.

Originally Posted by jamesdak
...Got a wind aided KOM (doesn't count) but it didnt' help the lungs. Spent the rest of the ride trying to get air into me and dizzy. Fun stuff, LOL!
Hey, it counts. I've checked weather conditions for many local segments and almost every KOM and top ten was wind assisted. All of my top tens were wind assisted. My only KOM is on a loop, so any wind assist is negated on the flip side. But I don't have a skinsuit or any aero gear so some of my tailwind assistance is less than other fully aero-kitted cyclists.

If Strava used a formula that deducted commensurately for wind assistance, a local woman pro would hold several KOMs -- not just QOMs. She already has several top tens and when I checked wind conditions in some cases she was cranking into considerable headwinds! So while my time was technically faster on some segments, I had the benefit of tailwinds. I'm not fooling myself -- she'd drop me like a brick on any climb.

I know what you mean about trying to get enough air in the lungs. Between asthma and a constricted trachea every ride is a challenge. But doing intervals on the indoor trainer seems to be helping my capacity a little. Mostly it's improving my recovery time between hard efforts. Every little bit helps.
Old 08-05-18, 05:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday -- another active day ...

I ran while Rowan walked. He covered about 0.8 km and I ran just over 2 km ...

Run
Distance: 2.12 km
Elevation: 16 m
Moving Time: 16:24
Elapsed Time: 16:54
Pace: 7:43/km

Then we walked together ...

Walk
Distance: 1.04 km
Elevation 7m
Moving Time: 19:52
Elapsed Time 21:48
Pace: 19:01/km

Later ... after a rest, and a time where I got some of my homework done, we did a ride with Zwift. Rowan rode 1 lap and I rode 2 ...

Ride
Distance: 21.63 km
Elevation: 124m
Moving Time: 47:15
Elapsed Time: 47:51

........................ Avg ............. Max
Speed ............. 27.5km/h ....... 47.2km/h
Heart Rate ...... 129bpm ......... 154bpm
Cadence ......... 73 ................. 112
Power ............ 105W ............ 253W
Old 08-05-18, 01:22 PM
Zuzus pedals

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Saturday was short - 22.4 miles total with 7 miles at a decent tempo speed (21.08 mph). Got a PR on an uphill Strava segment along the way.

Sunday was 68.8 total with a solo metric century in 3:14:51 (19.13 mph) moving time, mostly on a loop of 8.78 miles with +/- 32.8 feet per mile (shallow slopes and false flats; nothing tough). Watch battery died at 56+ miles (the last I remember seeing was 56.22) and the device erased the ride completely. Honestly I'm not all that peed off about it since I figured that might happen and I remember all my lap times anyway (as well as the times for the one Strava segment that's on the loop). At least now I know for sure what the watch will do if it's running for that long (charged it through the entire night before) and that I need a better model to record long-ish rides. It was 84 degrees at the start and 90 at the finish, so I took about 8 minutes of water refill stoppage time, which I didn't like to do. I wanted as near to a continuous ride as possible but 2 bottles are nowhere near enough in the heat. Got to get one of those triathlon bottle cage things mounted behind the seat to avoid having to stop so often on a hot weather metric.
Old 08-05-18, 01:45 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

I noticed that in CO last week. I was looking at my place on some of the segments, anywhere from 500 to about 1,500th place and I was kind of bummed. Then I realized there was 3,500 to almost 20,000 entries on some of those segments! Some of the times were positively mind boggling.
Old 08-05-18, 03:34 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No Tour of the Catskills or Litchfield Hills this weekend, which I'd put on the calendar but never got around to signing up for But I did have a couple of interesting rides instead.

Yesterday it was quite rainy in the morning, and I didn't head out until mid-afternoon. Just hopped on the TCX to ride down to the place were I'd made an offer on a condo. I've ridden by the place several times, but never explored the neighborhood to the south of it, so I checked that out for a little bit, and rode down through the town which I've also ridden through often, but this time with the notion in mind that it could be my future 'hood. I think my visit to the bike shop at the end was longer than the ride. I just wanted them to change the tires - switch from tubeless back to normal with some narrower, smoother tires I had sitting around. They were very busy selling bikes, so I just drank my Coke and waited my turn. Only eight miles and 400'

Today I actually made it out early and joined some friends for a little ride that got cut short, but wasn't planned to be very long, anyhow, because we knew it was going to get very hot and steamy, and one of the guys needed to be home by noon. One of our group caught a flat on the front tire on a rough descent and went down - ripped kit and a banged up derailleur, but nothing serious. Fortunately, we were less than a mile along a flat route from a big bike shop that was open already. We hung around to make sure things got sorted out, but were told not to wait around, so we did the last 2/3 of the ride one short. But we had a lot of fun. On the whole, everyone was about the same level, and we pushed it here and there, not hammering the whole time, but a few sprints, and I think everyone got some nice PRs. 38 miles, 1600' with the gang, plus another 12 miles, 900' for the trips to and from the meeting spot for a nice, round 50 miles, 2500' for the day.
Old 08-05-18, 04:38 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
https://www.strava.com/activities/1752462750

Did a club C+ ride of approx. 33 mi. @ 13.5 mph. We were in a group of 7 and 3 of us are regular B riders. It was a little strange because without trying the 3 of us found ourselves off the front a bit and had to soft pedal 'til we regrouped. All in all it was a pretty chill ride. And, we ended just as the weather was beginning to get hot and humid.
Old 08-05-18, 05:02 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Saturday -- Today was a nice day. The sun shone. The temperature reached 14C ... and Rowan and I went to the beach.

He walked about 1.6 km while I ran, then we walked together.

I walked 0.9 km and ran 2 km.

Run Distance: 2.07 km
Elevation: 16m
Moving Time: 15:25
Elapsed Time: 15:43
Pace: 7:25/km

A bit later, we both rode our trainers (bicycles on trainers). I set Rowan up with Zwift, and he was off and riding. He did the new Innsbruck loop ... 27 min. While he was doing that, I was trying to set up my Zwift, but it just didn't want to connect for a while. Eventually, I got there ...

Distance: 18.27 km
Elevation: 155 m
Moving Time: 46:22
Elapsed Time: 46:22

......................... Avg ............. Max
Speed ............. 23.6 km/h ...... 59.8 km/h
Heart Rate ...... 123 bpm ........ 153 bpm
Cadence ......... 73 .................. 127
Power ............. 91 W .............. 262 W

On our beach ...

With my HOKA ONE ONE running shoes ...

Rowan ... upright! But taking a little break.
Nice
Old 08-05-18, 08:41 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Saturday, short group ride. Was a new route I haven't rode before, mostly because it's a fast 3-lane motorway but is also a popular route for training -- the course is rolling all the way with very few flats in between, you're either climbing or descending. 42.7km, 500m elevation, avg 29.4km/h.

Later in the afternoon rode to the nearby bike fitter to get some issues sorted out. Worthwhile session, we went through a bunch of saddles as well as some height and fore/aft adjustments to help with some sit bone pain and chafing issues; although the adjustments helped a lot, but the main gist of it was core strength and conditioning. No best saddle in the world is going to help if my legs aren't there to help support the rest of my body for 300+ km rides if I just put all my weight on the saddle.

Sunday, wasn't feeling so well. Woke up tired with a headache, so went back to sleep and didn't go any riding.
Old 08-05-18, 09:16 PM
jamesdak 

Sunday - 26 miles on the Serotta CSI. They were wonderful miles as this bike loves to fly yet covers the ground so smoothly. I've been having to alter my route lately due to poorly laid new chipseal on a lot of my normal route. So my Avg pace is slower but just do the the route change. Today I finally felt fairly normal and ran over 20 mph for around half of the ride.

Old 08-06-18, 01:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Sunday, wasn't feeling so well. Woke up tired with a headache, so went back to sleep and didn't go any riding.
Ditto, Sunday morning. Woke up early planning to ride while it was cool, but had such a bad sinus headache it was nauseating. Just the usual allergies, etc. Took a fistful of ibuprofen, a sudafed, antihistamine, climbed back into bed and slept 'til noon. My cat was perfectly happy to join me.

And woke up feeling so much better I tried a fasted ride on the indoor trainer. I'm trying to pare down about 3 lbs of stubborn belly fat and supposedly a low-to-moderate effort ride of 60-90 minutes after not eating for 8-12 hours can kickstart fat burning. I'd actually gone 18 hours without eating, and just had a cup of coffee without cream or sugar. So I watched a couple of episodes of a favorite TV show while riding the trainer for 90 minutes. Felt pretty good, no headache, dizziness or bonky low blood sugar. Just felt hungry, but a healthy sort of hungry.

Dunno if it really helps with fat burning, but it sure beats not riding at all.
Old 08-06-18, 04:30 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Got in 58 solo miles on Sunday - around/near Connecticut River in South/Central Connecticut. Had been considering a group ride (Tour of the Litchfield Hills) that I've done a couple times. They've got a 78 mile route that I've done in the past. But the temperature and humidity was looking to get too uncomfortable for my taste so decided not to put myself through that and scale back a few miles and go solo.
Old 08-06-18, 05:24 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
20 on Friday, 25 on Saturday and 80 on Sunday.
Old 08-06-18, 09:02 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Saturday did my usual Picnic Is to Davis Is ride for 41 miles. There was an increase in traffic in the area due to a Comic Con thing downtown. Along with a lot of bad drivers. Had to keep on my toes. Sunday was my best ride of the summer and maybe the year so far. Went out to Thonotosassa, but took a new route around this big lake. It was rural with some good hill challenges. It was hot as heck, but I was feeling really good and put in some extra miles. Did a bit over 48 miles.
Old 08-06-18, 05:51 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts

Feeling strong lately but this IT band just might make me take up curling.
Old 08-11-18, 03:52 PM
Un Cycliste

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did 62.9 miles on Sunday as part of an event ride called the Blackberry bRamble, in Eugene, Oregon.