Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend (or Week's) Rides -- August 11/12

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 04:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Saturday -- 1.4 km walk to and from the Concert Hall where we attended my graduation ceremony.

That was nice!!

However, I've possibly got a touch of the flu so I've opted to rest rather than ride the bicycle.
Old 08-11-18, 04:41 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Congrats!
Old 08-11-18, 02:03 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
40 mile ride (per google maps, I don't bring my phone on my rides or track anything) along the fantastic trail system in St. Paul/Minneapolis. Started in St. Paul, ended up west of Minneapolis over in Wayzata before turning back towards St. Paul. Good ride.
Old 08-12-18, 11:44 AM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Solo metric century on Sunday. Got a new watch which recorded the whole thing this time, unlike the last time when the cheap old watch died at 56+ miles. This time I averaged 19.24 mph for a 3:13:47 moving time on a loop of 8.78 miles with +/- 32 feet per mile. Pretty good day for riding - not hot, not very windy. Got 71.3 miles altogether.
Old 08-12-18, 12:22 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Saturday -- 1.4 km walk to and from the Concert Hall where we attended my graduation ceremony.

That was nice!!

However, I've possibly got a touch of the flu so I've opted to rest rather than ride the bicycle.

Old 08-12-18, 12:53 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Last weekend was the club century ride- 6 courses, ~2,500 participants, all volunteer, running over 50 years.

This weekend was the worker's ride, & I did the DC to complete the 'stage race'- 3 hard DCs for cumulative time (my times are not competitive). The 3 events plus one other big ride totaled over 63k climbing.

197 miles, 17k climbing, 15:19 moving, 18:09 overall. About a third had pretty bad headwinds & some heat, but also got tailwind later.

Rode the last leg with a young guy whose light batteries ran out. I gave him my backup one which I had used at the 5:00 AM start, & it later ran out also.

We tandemed the last 10 or 15 miles on my headlight at the lowest setting as it was about to die as well. Just made it.

No pics but it was quite pretty once past the headwinds & you could lift your head up & look around.

In the evening I stopped for a large gopher snake that was sleeping stretched out across the rural traffic lane. When I nudged it with the front wheel, it woke up startled, coiled & then made it's way to the pavement edge.
Old 08-12-18, 05:36 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday was rainy, including thunderstorms on and off, so I just stayed home doing chores - ironed three weeks' worth of shirts! Got it down to a science....
This morning it looked iffy, but I headed out on the TCX anyhow, thinking I might get a little Belgian tan what with the dirt on the roads, but the sun actually came out before I'd gotten far. Though I didn't put any on before leaving, it was a good thing I brought some sunscreen. Even though it wasn't really all that hot - low 80s - it got awfully steamy, since many of the roads were actually still quite wet and it took a while for the sun to dry them out. Just went for a modestly hilly ride, nothing new or too far: 53 miles, 3,800'
Oh - almost forgot the most important part: PIE! Peach, with vanilla ice cream, but not until after most of the climbing and more than half the miles were done.
Old 08-12-18, 06:49 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
Three day weekend from me and just realized I rode all Billato built bikes for it. My right knee is still wonky so I didn't do any real climbing and kept the distance relatively short for the weekend. I also kept the effort down and mostly just worked on riding a high, easy cadence.

Friday - 26 miles, one sprint that showed me that the knee was still a big issue. This ride was done on the fast feeling Giordana Polaris.

Saturday - A little over 32 miles on the smooth riding Greg Lemond Ventoux. This one really takes care of me on the rough roads. Quite nice out with mostly cool temps.

Sunday - 31 miles on a pretty cool, almost cold, morning. So great for riding but my legs had nothing for the ride. Stayed up late Saturday night working on a beautiful Davidson bike I had just picked up. Unfortunately, I can't ever seem to sleep in so I was up early like normal. Too little sleep so no energy. I still had a great time out enjoying the perfect biking weather.

And a teaser pic of what kept me up last night working on it.

Old 08-12-18, 09:57 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Well, I actually took a few pictures this weekend

Saturday: Hot loop around SE Minnesota, followed by a ride back through town and up to the scenic overlook to check out the smoke. The sky was hazy all day, as the NW winds were bringing in smoke from the Canadian wildfires. I hit my metric century goal for the day (62.6 miles), along with 3 1/2 climbs for 3,517'.

The picture below is from the scenic overlook, back on the Wisconsin side.

Sunday: I had planned to use the tailwind for a little QOM hunting on a climbing segment (where I'm currently only 5 seconds behind an insanely good climber who races Cat 1 MTB), but there was no tailwind and I had no sprint left for the final 1/4 mile. Serves me right! Still a good ride out on the ridges, with a stop at a pretty cemetery. 30.5 miles, 1,335'.

Old 08-13-18, 01:09 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
jamesdak, more great photos of bikes in your wonderful collection.

And, wipekitty you also have some lovely pix in your post, especially your really neat and effective bike.
Old 08-13-18, 08:23 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I came to the states last weekend, and on Friday, I visited a friend in Grand Rapids who borrowed a bike for me. We ended up doing 32 miles along a park and out to Rockford. Later in the evening we probably put on another ten cruising around the city at night. It was a real blast, and my legs were happy to get used again. Here's the bike I rode, which rode very very well.
Old 08-13-18, 08:37 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Took Friday off and road around 61 miles in NW Connecticut and SW Massachusetts ... Good mix of gravel and paved roads. Saturday was rainy so no riding for me. Took an easy 23 mile ride on Sunday.
Old 08-13-18, 11:51 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Tuesday I thought I would get in my usual Davis Is. evening ride. There were some threatening clouds in the distance, but I calculated I would have time to finish my ride and anyways they looked pretty small so sustained rain looked unlikely...wrong. I got caught in a huge squally thunderstorm. Basically, I rode home taking cover under overpasses on the way. I would have waited it out, but I then got a call that my home alarm system was going off. Took a chance and made my way home. Sadly, riding my bike I still managed to beat the cops to my house. Only got in 16 soggy miles.

Thursday gave the Davis Is. ride another try. This time successful for 26 miles.
Saturday rode out to Upper Tampa Bay trail. Yet again I passed a rider who then went nuts to catch up to me only to slow down and get in the way after he passes. This seems to happen almost every time on this MUP at about the same part of the trail. Cyclist are weird. Anyhow 40 miles.
Sunday I did a slightly different route I had not tried before. Essentially I did a big loop into the next county and then rode home on the Courtney Campbell trail. Great ride for 45 miles. Now that summer is about to end I think I finally have accumulated to the heat.
Old 08-13-18, 03:11 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Managed 91 miles on Saturday. Not going to lie, the last hour was just brutal with the heat and humidity. Had to make an unscheduled stop for a few minutes under a live oak to cool off. No breaks in the temps looking at the short term forecast.