Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend (or Week's) Rides -- September 1/2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-18, 06:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Happy First Day of Spring! Or maybe just later that same summer for some of you. Tell us about your cycling adventures this weekend ... or during the week.

Old 09-01-18, 06:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- it was a bit more like winter than spring today so we rode inside. Rowan did one loop on Zwift's flat route, and I did two.

Distance: 21.06km
Elevation: 122m
Moving Time: 48:30
Elapsed Time 48:30

............................. Avg ................ Max
Speed .................... 26.1km/h ........ 46.1km/h
Heart Rate .............. 132bpm .......... 148bpm
Cadence ................. 75 .................. 107
Power ..................... 92W ............... 170W
Old 09-01-18, 07:08 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

August Summary

2018 Monthly August
Walking Distance (km): 96.0
Walking Time (min): 1148.3
Cycling Distance (km): 114.1
Cycling Time (min): 317.9

Flights of Stairs Climbed Number: 116.0 * 20 = 2320 stairs
Stairs Climbed Time (min): 92.8

Totals
Total Distance (km): 210.1
Total Distance (miles): 130.6
Total Time (min): 1558.9
Total Time (hr): 25:58:56

That's it for August!!
Old 09-01-18, 03:44 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Did a short-ish ride of around 53 miles on Friday. Started in Deerfield, MA up through to Guilford, VT and back. For those familiar with the D2R2 gravel grinder (an iconic gravel grinder in the NE US with courses from 40 miles to 180k and KILLER hills), I pieced together portions of the 100k and 40 mile course. Probably landed at around 5,000 feet of climbing, much on steep gravel roads. And the majority of that 5,000 ft was in the first 30 miles so it took quite a bit out of this 65 year old body. I've had my eye on the D2R2 the last couple of years but didn't make it to the group ride itself so printed down the maps and cue sheets and put together a route that I was comfortable trying on my own without any support.

Was a great ride ... past farms with cows and sheep, wooded areas with wild turkeys and a black bear that ran out about 25 yards ahead of me when I was grinding up one of those long gravel climbs.
Old 09-01-18, 06:10 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,997 Times in 1,780 Posts
Saturday - Put some modern light wheels on the Lemond GLX Gan and took it out for 50 miles. Never really felt like I was pushing it but I finished in a decent time anyway. Pretty nice out in the valley today although the smoke in the air still keeps me from taking pictures.

Getting it ready this morning.
Old 09-01-18, 06:47 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
today i cranked up my local favorite hill, gieger grade in the biggest little city in the world, reno, nv. 2000', 8ish miles. stop by some time for good eats, good local brew, the awesome milky way, and the high desert.

-scott
Old 09-02-18, 03:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday -- We weren't sure if we were going to be able to ride outside because waves of rain kept coming over. But then it cleared up a bit so we went out!

Temp: 10.7C
Feels Like Temp: 6C
Wind: SSW 20 km/h gusting to 40 km/h

On our Bike Fridays ...

Distance: 11.92km ... actually Rowan's Strava shows 12.07 km!! So we did about 12 km. Yes, both of us!
Elevation: 131m
Moving Time: 45:15
Elapsed Time: 46:46
Speed: Avg: 15.8km/h | Max: 23.4km/h

And then I went for a short run ...

Distance: 2.08km
Elevation: 13m
Moving Time: 14:48
Elapsed Time: 15:02
Pace: 7:06/km
Old 09-02-18, 03:24 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The riding for me is hugely a benefit. I am deliberately just showing the outside distance lowly each week, but I am finding it of fine definite benefit. Since I was almost a dead man some 5-1/2 months ago because of a workplace incident, I think what I am doing now is really special and enjoyable. And moreso because it is with Machka.
Old 09-02-18, 02:24 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
On the 1st I rode the 100K route of the Clarksville (TN) Sunrise Century...a relatively flat course. It was overcast most of the ride, keeping it a bit cooler (82F when I finished). Bit of a headwind been 30 and 45mi, but maintained my average. Chatted with many nice folks. A good day.
Old 09-02-18, 03:56 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,997 Times in 1,780 Posts
Sunday - Took the Davidson Impulse out again today for a 50 mile ride. Beautiful morning in the valley with lots of wildlife out.

Old 09-02-18, 04:58 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The riding for me is hugely a benefit. I am deliberately just showing the outside distance lowly each week, but I am finding it of fine definite benefit. Since I was almost a dead man some 5-1/2 months ago because of a workplace incident, I think what I am doing now is really special and enjoyable. And moreso because it is with Machka.
Old 09-02-18, 06:22 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
.......I had hoped to start yesterday's ride at 12:01AM but neglected to set my phone alarm and as a result I began at 12:51AM. Not a bad night at all being a little cooler than expected at 77F and a Waning Gibbous moon at 68% visibility. The ride was progressing nicely when at just 1hr 5minutes 45seconds into the ride and 17.25 miles completed I executed a 10 score-right side TOMBAY. The 2018 Roubaix Expert was properly protected as I employed a text book impact maneuver landing on my less than 2 year old completely new right shoulder and the 68yo right hip with an added bump on the helmet AND even managed to remain clipped in with my left foot all to the amusement of a early morning driver. After a few moments of looking like a fish out of water I unclipped, got up, reset the chain and was off to complete 71 miles by the time I returned home for a shower, bite to eat and a kit plus bicycle change.
.......Refreshed and ready for more riding I returned to the road on my Giant Propel finally meeting up after 6 more miles of riding with the Saturday morning LBS Group. I increased my speed as they cycled by me and finally tucked in as the caboose rider on a 22/26mph paceline. The freight train was moving too fast for this tired older man so I unhooked after 10 miles of drafting and finished up with a total of 125.51 miles.
Old 09-02-18, 07:36 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Tried for a flat ride, but it still ended up 64'/mile.

Nicely foggy on the coast with some holiday traffic but not bad. Only honked at once.

56, 3,600'

I was trying to get the glory shot w/ 350+ watts, which I can hold for about 3 seconds but snapped it too soon.

Last edited by woodcraft; 09-02-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-02-18, 08:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Saturday: Did a local gravel event - the Mini Donut Gravel Enduro, plus the usual ride to and from (which was only about 2 bonus miles this time.)

The ride started late due to a rain delay. There were several flats. As the day went on, it got warm and sunny, but remained humid. It was a darned tough ride, too - the last of the six climbs just felt brutal. As it was getting on toward 5PM, my group of three decided to cut the last section of gravel (only a few miles), reroute on asphalt, and paceline it back to town. These were some tough, strong riders, too, so I felt like less of a wimp for being cooked by the end.

My day's total: 80.4 miles, 5,279'. (My elevation total was much greater than what came out on the RWGPS map. It was recorded with a Bryton Rider GPS, and the guys who used Garmins were closer to my elevation total than the RWGPS map.)

There were, however, mini donuts!

Sunday: Planned to do another gravel event - but it was wet, and I was sore, so I stayed in bed. Instead, I took a slow roll which included some school supply recon (schools start on Tuesday.) Total: 14.1 miles, 312'.
Old 09-03-18, 07:32 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just finished a recovery ride - finally. Put on my fredliest jersey, filled the bidon with milky iced coffee and headed out on the flattest route I could manage. Only 155' in 10.4 miles, and took 50 minutes to do it. Did make a point of keeping the cadence up in the 90s though, and it was pretty muggy by the time it was over.

But recovery from what, you may ask? Nothing major, or even the sort of riding that would normally warrant it, but ever since riding all over the place Friday, I've been wanting a leisurely ride, but I went riding with friends instead. Nothing too aggressive, but we can't help ourselves, it seems.

Friday was an extra day off, and I'd been meaning to go to the city to ride in Central Park - it's been such a long time. It was kind of a mess getting there - sections of Riverside Drive had been milled, and the route I'd planned to take to avoid that was blocked - and I managed to bend the front derailleur at one point, but it was nice. Did two full laps, and got some decent times on some of the segments - not really hammering, but spirited now and then. I don't think they'd resurfaced Harlem Hill the last time I raced there, so that was really nice. That was 43 miles, 2800' in the morning, and by the time I got home, the shop was open, so I got the derailleur fixed.

In the afternoon, I met a couple of friends here on the Jersey side, and we rode through the park along the Hudson. Not too long after we left the park, though, it started to rain, and by the time we got to State Line, it was really coming down, so we hung out at The Market for a while. We hadn't had any real plans, and since it didn't look like it would be clearing up, we decided to just head back, and take the low back roads to avoid getting drenched by passing trucks and such on 9W. By the time we got to Englewood, the rain had stopped, so I stayed with them for the climb up the East Hill before heading back home. All that was another 40 miles and 2700' So for the day, it was 83 miles, 5,500' Not epic, but enough that a rest was in order.

Instead, I joined the same two guys the next day for a slightly more energetic ride to Nyack. Again, nothing crazy - unless you count the suicidal turn onto the low end of Tweed Blvd from 9W - but I hammered my way up Tweed (beat the other guys up by 4 minutes), and was aggressive on a couple of other segments, but by the end of the ride, the younger guy was having to wait for me, as I was spent. That was just 36 miles, 2200' Saturday.

Then, Sunday, a couple whom we hadn't ridden with in a while wanted to ride, so I joined that, too, but I had them meet me down in my town - I really, really didn't want to do the 20-25 minute 500' of climbing ride just to meet up with them. We had a really nice, really social ride up to Nyack, taking the rail trail and back way up Bradley, and a really nice snack/meal at Didier Dumas. I'm glad I fueled up there, as I needed every bit of energy to keep up for the ride back. It wasn't super aggressive, but it was definitely spirited. I just made it a point of maintaining a consistent level of effort - not working too hard going up the positive grades (even allowing myself to be passed by those I normally drop like a rock), but continuing to work just as hard on the negative grades. It worked. Nobody had to wait for me at the end. 38 miles, 1,600'

Next weekend could be interesting. Only one ride instead of five, but a full century. That is if I can get from Philly back to the city Sunday morning....
Old 09-03-18, 08:36 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
https://www.strava.com/activities/1812393153

Afternoon ride with my gf.
Old 09-03-18, 01:53 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
This whole week has been a rain out, so no evening rides. Saturday was traveling all day, so missed my morning ride. Sunday I rode out to Flatwoods park. The route I wanted to go was fenced off. Not sure why, but I had to double back, which added more miles. Legs were a bit sore from lack of evening rides, but did 45 miles. Sunday was feeling a bit more perky. I went on my new Lake Thonotossasa route for 45 miles. I'm pretty sick of the summer heat and humidity.
Old 09-03-18, 02:38 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Nyc Central Park

did 30 miles today nj to nyc via gwb
rode about 20 miles on Saturday
good weather today tad humidity
Old 09-03-18, 02:48 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Well hello there fellow Connecticution. Graduated UCONN back in '96. Never road on CT though. Enjoy the changing colors in a month or so.
Old 09-03-18, 03:31 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sat: head cold.. took the day off.
Sun: Mountain bike with the shop group and GF. Legs felt a bit sluggish but rode pretty well after a few weeks off the mtn bike since i was doing mostly gravel.
Mon: Pre-rode a 58mi route we are doing for the Race CF Ride for life ride in a few weeks. Group of us on the team made sure the route was good and got out on a very hot ride. 92F at one point. Legs felt really good and we had a strong group so we cruised pretty quick. Did one quick detour from the planned route to avoid a beat up road and will hopefully use the alternate for the ride. Got to the end and had a enough juice left to kick out the last 4miles to make it a metric. 62mi 3200' . got home and immediately jumped in the pool to cool off.

Did a short-ish ride of around 53 miles on Friday. Started in Deerfield, MA up through to Guilford, VT and back. For those familiar with the D2R2 gravel grinder (an iconic gravel grinder in the NE US with courses from 40 miles to 180k and KILLER hills), I pieced together portions of the 100k and 40 mile course. Probably landed at around 5,000 feet of climbing, much on steep gravel roads. And the majority of that 5,000 ft was in the first 30 miles so it took quite a bit out of this 65 year old body. I've had my eye on the D2R2 the last couple of years but didn't make it to the group ride itself so printed down the maps and cue sheets and put together a route that I was comfortable trying on my own without any support.

Was a great ride ... past farms with cows and sheep, wooded areas with wild turkeys and a black bear that ran out about 25 yards ahead of me when I was grinding up one of those long gravel climbs.
Nice.. I did the 115k this year. I heard the 100k was definitely front loaded with the hills. 115k was more balanced i think with a few major ones before lunch then the hardest 2 after lunch. Pennel rd and Patten. ouch
Old 09-03-18, 06:23 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
did 30 miles today nj to nyc via gwb
rode about 20 miles on Saturday
good weather today tad humidity
Nice! More folks from the city come over to Jersey to ride than vice versa - nice to know I'm not the only one who did it backwards and went for a ride in Central Park this weekend (Friday morning)
Old 09-04-18, 04:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Tuesday -- longest run since January! Slow run but I wanted to cover the distance ...

Distance: 5.32km
Elevation: 76m
Moving Time: 41:27
Elapsed Time 42:15
Pace: 7:47/km
Old 09-04-18, 08:00 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Did an organized ride on Sunday. 101 miles.
Old 09-04-18, 10:05 AM
skidad21774

Bikes: Diverge, Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
9/1 picked up our anniversary presents to each other. Her... Specialized Ariel, me Roubaix Sport. Family group ride in town (flat) and then to lunch. Managed a "spirited" solo ride later in the day 23miles followed by a slow roll group ride 9/2 (another 22 miles). Metric Century on 9/3 in Hanover (62.7mi, 2.1k' elevation).
Old 09-04-18, 11:14 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Monday: Missed the organized Labor Day rides, but did not miss the rain! I took a slow road ride on the gravel bike (which was helpful, as the recent heavy rains have washed a bunch of actual gravel in the roads.) The light rain and temperatures in the high 60s F felt nice! 28.4 miles, 1,332'.

On my way home, I stopped at work to make photocopies. The university where I teach started classes today (Tuesday), and I like to get my syllabi copied before everyone else comes in and breaks the machine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.