Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

My wife wants to keep tabs

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

My wife wants to keep tabs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 07:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Some people whose property is adjacent to public land will it to the public so that after they die, it becomes public. I know it has happened a few times in Ulster County, NY where we have a home. That is how Minnewaska State Park Preserve has been growing. I hope I have the details right, because this is from my imperfect memory.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-09-24, 09:16 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
You could get a personal locator beacon (PLB), but it only works if you push the button for a real bona fide emergency (it better be a real emergency!). No monthly cost or subscription needed - run by NOAA and the Air Force it uses government satellites. Same technology as the EPIRB devices used at sea for the past 40 years, but now available to anyone. Far more reliable than the Spot and Garmin devices that require paid subscriptions.

Last edited by axelwik; 02-09-24 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-10-24, 08:57 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Here is another option for satellite. $6 a month extra for location. Still not cheap but has options.

https://www.zoleo.com/en-us/satellite-communicator
Old 02-10-24, 09:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Some people whose property is adjacent to public land will it to the public so that after they die, it becomes public. I know it has happened a few times in Ulster County, NY where we have a home. That is how Minnewaska State Park Preserve has been growing. I hope I have the details right, because this is from my imperfect memory.
Yes, this is what I described with the RCA corporation giving unused land on eastern Long Island to the state, now managed by the DEC. No sale, just a gift to the state.
Old 02-13-24, 10:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
There is an area here that got deeded to Pennsylvania a little over a decade ago. Nature Conservancy bought it, removed a dam, and then gave it to Pennsylvania. It's pretty nice and takes some pressure off the other way of getting into the forest by foot.
Old 02-20-24, 08:23 AM
samar67

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NMHillclimber
Hey everyone! My wife would like to be able to see where I am when I'm riding (only when I'm riding on her iOS device. I think she kinda wants to see that I'm still moving when I'm late. I have no cell service where I ride. Any tech that can help me?

Thanks all! Chip
Gaia GPS is best option
Old 02-20-24, 08:43 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
All this kind of makes me nostalgic for the good old days when we were out there with no way to be tracked or contacted and no way to call or otherwise contact anyone. It doesn't seem that long ago. That said I have considered buying an InReach Mini for my wife's peace of mind.

Btw, all this is a bigger issue for other pursuits than riding a bike on the road.

Last edited by staehpj1; 02-20-24 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-20-24, 11:45 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Might be easier to change the wife.

(her mind, not the person)

(sorta)