Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Right knee pain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Right knee pain

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 09:37 AM
MAC_Addy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right knee pain

So on Saturday I rode 50 miles. Never had a problem with distances before. The wind was blowing at 25 - 35mph, which sucked on big climbs.

Now, while going up a 14.4% climb, I noticed that my right knee started to hurt quite a bit. It initially felt like a cramp, but a cramp that I've never felt before.

The pain is on the right side, sort of behind the back of my leg (knee). It doesn't hurt when I bring my ankle towards my glute (arse), but when I extend my leg out (as though I was pushing down on the pedal) it hurts quite a bit. On Saturday it sucked to walk up or down any type of incline/decline. Today, it doesn't seem to hurt quite as bad.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Now, to give a bit of information. This is my first 50 miler of the year. I am thinking that this can be potentially too much too soon. The most I've rode this year is 30 miles. I haven't changed anything out on the bike or adjusted anything.

Suggestions?
Old 04-10-17, 09:45 AM
gsindela

Bikes: 2015 Storck Scenero G3 (Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would suspect the toe in on your shoes/pedals may not be right.
Old 04-10-17, 09:54 AM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Knee

Of Course, we all get it. It takes longer for ligiments to strengthen. Your muscles will get stronger and your knees hurt. Ride below you pain threshold as your knees (heal) stronger, thicker, and increased attachment area. Then you will feel good and go out and bust the hill. Oh! knees hurt again. We are talking aching knees. If you have Sharp pain that is injury and needs to be looked after.
The listless aching knees after a tough ride is your body grumbling about having to change. Eventually if you stay at it and listen to your body you become amazing, to yourself and others. I am not a Dr. but I ride free of pain and love the hills. Took me 6 years of mostly every other day riding. Sore legs, sore lungs, sore knees, all part of the journey. I feel I'm on a different level now and I like it.
Old 04-10-17, 09:56 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Pain in the back of the knee is usually from over extending, from a seat that is too high or too far back.

Its likely that the extra stress of significantly increasing your miles, the wind, and the grade, exposed the problem.

So check and see if your seat height is too high, and try lowering it in small increments.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-10-17, 11:11 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
What gearing? How much vertical gain on the climb? How much standing, how much sitting?

Over 10-12% you are going to really stress your knees, particularly if you are out of gears and grinding, even more so if you're sitting while doing it.
Old 04-11-17, 07:53 AM
MasterVoigt

Bikes: Kestrel Talon Ultegra & FiftyOne Custom Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things; positioning and riding style.

I find if I do long sessions out of the saddle I am putting undue pressure on my knees and then I spend half of my spin in pain.

Second, if you are riding high on the bike you may find there are issues with your knees. Too much hip roll while pedaling could be a factor.
Old 04-12-17, 08:59 AM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MAC_Addy
So on Saturday I rode 50 miles. Never had a problem with distances before. The wind was blowing at 25 - 35mph, which sucked on big climbs.

Now, while going up a 14.4% climb, I noticed that my right knee started to hurt quite a bit. It initially felt like a cramp, but a cramp that I've never felt before.

The pain is on the right side, sort of behind the back of my leg (knee). It doesn't hurt when I bring my ankle towards my glute (arse), but when I extend my leg out (as though I was pushing down on the pedal) it hurts quite a bit. On Saturday it sucked to walk up or down any type of incline/decline. Today, it doesn't seem to hurt quite as bad.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Now, to give a bit of information. This is my first 50 miler of the year. I am thinking that this can be potentially too much too soon. The most I've rode this year is 30 miles. I haven't changed anything out on the bike or adjusted anything.

Suggestions?

Search "ITBS"
Old 04-12-17, 09:28 AM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The jump from 30 to 50 miles is quite large this early in the season especially if you significantly increased the amount of climbing relative to the 30 mile rides. This aching is to be expected. Give it some rest or a recovery ride and you should be good in 24-48 hours.

Additionally you are not as limber early in the season as you are later if you have not been training in the off-season so it may be that your ligament was stretched a bit too much. Some people lower their saddle 1-3mm early in the season to compensate for this. I prefer to ease into the season by increasing my riding distance week on week by 15-20%.
Old 04-12-17, 01:33 PM
Gyrine

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Raleigh POS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I concur with the post that attributed the pain to a seatpost that is maybe a tad too high. You might mark the current position and lower it just 2 mm and see if that helps. The other thing is that you are obviously right-sided so you might also focus a little more on your left leg/pedal to even out the force.
Old 04-12-17, 01:46 PM
Flounce

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low gear and Spin: keep cadence up, no mashing.

Confirm seat not too high or too rearward - google it to find rough rules of thumb.

If still hurts, implement routine stretching after rides, look it up (ITB, quads, hams, etc); also start every other day strengthening in case you actually have patellofemoral (typically perceived as anterior, not posterior), including gluteus strengthening and short arc quad extension. This fixed my knee pain.

If those don't work, time to shell out some real dough and go to a good bike fitter and if that doesn't solve it then a PT. There's only so much that free advice on the internet can help you.
Old 04-12-17, 02:13 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've only had left knee pain...so I can't help...
Old 04-12-17, 11:28 PM
TheCannon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a torn meniscus in my right knee. It only hurts when I DONT ride. Weird huh?
Old 04-13-17, 12:09 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Not much to go on , and since it's (so far) an isolated thing, you might chalk it up to working so hard against the wind and climb.

So, for the moment, give it some rest, and try to take it easy on the next few rides and see how you make out. If it recurs or persists, then you can start to play detective.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.