Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend (or Week's) Rides -- August 25/26

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 06:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

How's your weekend going? Tell us all about your cycling adventures!
Old 08-25-18, 06:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Friday 24 August -- Rowan and Charlene's 10th Anniversary

Originally Posted by Machka

Continued updates on Rowan here: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...-rowan-16.html

And as far as exercise goes, I walked 3.9 km and hiked up 10 flights of 20 stairs ... the most number of stairs I've climbed since mid-May = sore calves on Saturday!!
Old 08-25-18, 07:07 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- gorgeous day! One of the nicest we've had in a while.

So I made the executive decision that we would try cycling outside on our Bike Fridays. After much thought and some discussion with Rowan, we chose a bit of road that has been closed to traffic. Cyclists, runners, and walkers can go through, but no cars.

This was Rowan's first ride since the accident, and my first ride outside since late April. Unfortunately, Rowan's rear wheel had a small puncture so he had to stop a few times to fill the tyre. But other than that ... it was a good first ride!!

Distance: 5.11km
Elevation: 17m
Moving Time: 24:04
Elapsed Time: 31:13

................ Avg ...... Max
Speed: 12.8km/h 18.7km/h

Then Rowan walked about 600 metres and I ran 2.6 km, my longest, fastest run in a while.

Distance: 2.62km
Elevation: 3m
Moving Time: 19:06
Elapsed Time 19:25
Pace: 7:16/km

And then we went out to dinner to celebrate our anniversary.
Old 08-25-18, 09:26 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Still lightly smoky in the Puget Sound area. Though the air quality is better than earlier in the week.
Rode a flat 75km, the threat of a rain shower never materialized.
Also glad the heat is mostly behind us.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-25-18 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-25-18, 03:46 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Saturday -Well after being off the past two days and having nice rides of 40 and 50 miles I was planning another 50 miler today. But then a family visit came up so I didn't have time. So I put in a fairly fast 26 miles on the Maillot Jaune. I think I did set a PR on this alternate route I've been riding lately.

Old 08-25-18, 10:13 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts

This was Rowan's first ride since the accident, and my first ride outside since late April. Unfortunately, Rowan's rear wheel had a small puncture so he had to stop a few times to fill the tyre. But other than that ... it was a good first ride!!
That is awesome...and what a great way to spend your anniversary!
Old 08-26-18, 01:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wipekitty
That is awesome...and what a great way to spend your anniversary!
Thanks!! It was good.
Old 08-26-18, 01:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday -- Rowan and I got out for another ride outside ... up the Cycleway on our Bike Fridays with an incoming storm and gusty winds. Rowan's second ride!!

Distance: 8.04km
Elevation: 82m
Moving Time: 32:58
Elapsed Time: 35:36

................ Avg | Max
Speed: 14.6km/h | 24.1km/h

Then I went for a quick run and was racing the rain on the way back. I didn't feel like I was going particularly fast, but this was my fastest run since I started running last December.

Distance: 1.79km
Elevation 13m
Moving Time: 11:31
Elapsed Time: 11:52
Pace: 6:25/km
Old 08-26-18, 03:14 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
23 miles Saturday afternoon/evening. Then a 2.5 mile walk after dinner.

Probably my only outdoor ride this weekend. I'm still using the indoor trainer, which really helps. My speed is about the same on my few outdoor rides this summer, still averaging 16 mph over my usual 20-30 mile roller coaster rural route. But the busted up shoulder and neck injury still limit me to about one ride a week of 20-30 miles.

And I'm suddenly getting exhausted easily the past month. Looks like my thyroid is completely defunct, an ex-thyroid. Biopsy last week indicates it's all calcified necrotic tissue. Took six attempts with increasingly larger core sampling needles to get any useful tissue -- felt like a jackhammer although there wasn't any real pain, just uncomfortable. And I have a consult next week about the tests to determine whether it's a malignant or benign tumor. Either way, I just want 'em to cut it out ASAP and put me back on thyroid meds so I can get more or less back to normal.

Despite that, riding a bike is still the best therapy I can think of. I usually feel better after a little rest following a hard ride.
Old 08-26-18, 06:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Distance: 5.11km
Elevation: 17m
Moving Time: 24:04
Elapsed Time: 31:13

................ Avg ...... Max
Speed: 12.8km/h 18.7km/h

Old 08-26-18, 07:21 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

^ That's a good sight!
Old 08-26-18, 02:21 PM
jamesdak 

Sunday - Went out this morning for a 50 mile ride on the De Rosa. Cool temps were so nice but the smoke was pretty bad and I forgot to hit my inhaler. So, I just kept an easy pace and enjoyed the time out.

Old 08-26-18, 03:08 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rode 100 miles for the first time. Been putting in a ton of miles getting ready for an organized century next weekend. Feeling pretty confident right now.
Old 08-26-18, 04:58 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday was a fun and casual, but frequently spirited ride led by a young guy who only a few months ago was struggling to keep up. We started early, and while we were having our would-be mid-ride break in Nyack, as we were talking about what route we should take back, we decided to go a little farther instead. Weather was great, and roads were pretty quiet, until we got back to 9W, when it was like a zoo with all the cyclists by the time we got to Alpine. Lots of "passing!" and "on your left!" as we had our little hammer fest at the end. 62 miles, 3,500'

Today was a bit of exploring on my own, and starting at 10 instead of 7. Made my way generally west and north, up to Saddle River. Some nice roads, but kind of tricky to be just winging it on the route, what with the twisty roads through the hills and the barriers of the Garden State Parkway and Route 17. Another nice day, though - sunny and not hot or humid until the very end. 34 miles, 1,720'

Originally Posted by sevenmag
Rode 100 miles for the first time. Been putting in a ton of miles getting ready for an organized century next weekend. Feeling pretty confident right now.
That's great!

Speaking of organized century rides, Friday I realized that I may not be able to do the next one I had planned. The New York City Century is coming up on the 9th. I'd paid for it way back in May. Meanwhile, I got invited to a wedding and accepted. It's in Philadelphia on the 8th. I'll have to get up at 4 a.m. if I want to get to Central Park and start in time to get the whole 100 miles in - and even then, that means finding a parking space in Manhattan - no way I could make it from home. 4 a.m. wake-up and a Century ride the morning after a wedding reception....? We'll see....
Old 08-26-18, 05:26 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by sevenmag

Good job, now take it easy on the miles so you can recover for next weekend.
Old 08-26-18, 06:28 PM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Met up with a friend and hit the road about 7am saturday morning. Our plan was to ride into a local town and meet up with a local group and tag along with them on the way back in. It was a great ride with a couple intense climbs, well to me anyway. Ended up with a 42 mile round trip. A new longest ride for me. I was pretty pleased. Met some great new folks and all seemed to enjoy.
Old 08-26-18, 09:29 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Low-mileage weekend, but my legs probably needed a break

One good but short road ride on Saturday - I hit three hills for 28.6 miles, 1,909'. Otherwise, a couple of short errand trips.

I'm hoping to get out for a Monday ride after meetings, if the storms hold off! Next weekend should be somewhat epic, as I'm planning to ride at least one gravel event, and possibly two or three!
Old 08-27-18, 07:23 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sat: 30mi easy with shop group. kept everything mellow just to stretch the legs out.

Sun: Vermont Overland Gravel race.. 43mi , 5500' climbing. First time doing this one. Started too far back in the mass start. must have passed 100 people in the first 2 hills. Kept playing leap frog with a bunch of people.. i'd beat them up the hills then they would fly past me on the downhills, especially the technical rocky ones. Lots of hills added up but nothing killer steep like D2R2 last weekend, I was still able to spin a fairly decent cadence. Finished just under the top 200 out of 700 riders. pretty good day over all
Old 08-27-18, 09:32 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Wednesday was a public holiday. While the rest of the family was out I joined a nearby group for a fast-paced ride to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport and back, totalling 134.7km. Route was mostly flat with some rolling sections, total elevation 954m. Morning was a little warm but still pleasant; the trip back was standard hot weather fare. We did stop halfway at a petrol station for a quick bite; got some cereal bars and Gatorade to prepare myself for the ride back. Here is a nice, approx. 5km flat section that is popular among the triathlon folk, running alongside one of the runways of the airport:

Saturday just did a short 39.4km training ride, fast-paced as usual, 443m elevation total.

Sunday didn't ride, stayed home to rest.
Old 08-27-18, 10:36 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
No riding- my GF of almost 7 yrs moved in to my house so worked on that.

2 more bikes to house.
Old 08-27-18, 11:18 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Monday and Thursday did my usual shortened Davis Is. ride for 26 miles each. Saturday had a pretty normal Picnic Is. to Davis Is. ride for 40 miles. Sunday I had dead legs and it was really hot and humid. I tried my ride around Lake Thonotossasa again, which I enjoyed so much last month. This time it wasn't so pleasant. Also, got chased by two dogs. The first one was a large boxer looking mutt. The second one was a little Chihuahua. I had to use my depleted sprinting powers to get away. 45 miles total, not the best.
Here's a pic from Sunday. Note the humidity.