Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reverse Dropout Adjuster Screws issue (Alfine 8 Hub)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 06:31 AM
beeski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The bike is a 2010 or 2011 Genesis IO, and has a Shimano Alfine 8 (SG-S501)
The bike has reverse dropouts, and the adjusters are more delicate looking than I've seen in the past.

They measure 35mm x 4mm and accept a 2mm allen/hex at one end.
The thread pitch looks to be 15 threads per 10 mm so,0.66mm (?) I've no idea if this is the right way to measure threads But that's going by a microscope and tape, so the numbers should be ok at least.

All was well until I rode it after lending it to a friend, and I noted vibration from the rear. The disks were oscillating under load also. Worryingly the wheel nuts were finger tight (well, loose really) and the chain was loose too of course.

Upon inspection I see that the drive side one is very bent, which explains a lot. I was able to remove it eventually, as well as the other (with much more ease)

I can't find replacements anywhere. There seems to be no mention in any on the Shimano documentation.
Due to its age the only docs I can find for the bike are general brochures.
I've emailed the company (many weeks ago) and had no reply. Same situation with multiple dealers. All understandable with the covid situation of course.

So, any ideas where I could get some of these weird little things??
Are they just a standard item a hardware type company could supply??

Here's some pics. One of the good side with straight pin, the other (slightly blurry) one of the bent one, and another with a clearer shot of the dropout area, and one of the screw.

Can't upload pics so here's my google album...
photos.app.goo.gl/vKAQSZsYS5HAwMBD7
Old 07-16-20, 06:47 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
M4x0.7 bolts in a variety of lengths and materials should be available in most well stocked hardware or auto parts stores and certainly from any Industrial Supply shop like Fastenal or Grainger. Take the good one with you to match it when you shop for its replacement.

There is nothing proprietary about the ones that came on your bike.
Old 07-16-20, 06:52 AM
beeski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ace, thanks. Too much time on my hands leads to overthinking it.
I'd even taken it to 2 LBSes and they were no help. Bit disappointed at that, but those guys are overwhelmed at the moment.
Thanks for the pointer, Much appreciated
Old 07-16-20, 08:59 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I like hex socket cap screws better than the setscrews you have since they have a larger drive recess and so are less likely to have the recess strip out. Extra style points for getting them long enough to have a nut installed to lock them in position.