Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Cinelli Frame Color Spraypaint?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 01:02 PM
kwjohns

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to spray paint a bike and I really want it to be close to the "Bel Grigio" color on the Cinelli Gazzetta frame, but I can't find a comparable spray paint color through Krylon or RustOleum. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-11-11, 01:27 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Custom mixed two-part polyurethane auto paint at Sherwin-Williams and a gravity-fed detail gun at Harbor Freight. $40ish a pint of paint and $15 for the gun. Borrow or rent a compressor. Wear a canister style mask and woodshop googles. Practice first on objects like beer bottles or cans until you've used up 1/3 of your paint. Let your practice targets dry and look closely at the quality of the surface. Don't be in a hurry. When you learn how to lay down a thin and smooth layer without orange-peel texture shoot your frame. This kind of paint is really tough. If you let some of it harden in a plastic cup for a couple days it becomes the consistency of hard rubber like a toy super-ball.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 10-11-11 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 03:06 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Krylon or RustOleum <-- u dont want to use this for a bike.

What U can do also is to go to a car paint supplies in your area, pick the closest color from the chips catalogs and ask the buy to put the paint in a spray can. If you dont want to deal with clear what u can do is ask the guy to see if they can do that paint in single stage.

If you dont need to paint that much will be like 20 bucks.
Old 10-11-11, 11:48 PM
kwjohns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
Custom mixed two-part polyurethane auto paint at Sherwin-Williams and a gravity-fed detail gun at Harbor Freight. $40ish a pint of paint and $15 for the gun. Borrow or rent a compressor. Wear a canister style mask and woodshop googles. Practice first on objects like beer bottles or cans until you've used up 1/3 of your paint. Let your practice targets dry and look closely at the quality of the surface. Don't be in a hurry. When you learn how to lay down a thin and smooth layer without orange-peel texture shoot your frame. This kind of paint is really tough. If you let some of it harden in a plastic cup for a couple days it becomes the consistency of hard rubber like a toy super-ball.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm in a smaller town and don't believe we have anyone in town that can make me a custom color to put in a can. I was hoping to find something close that I could order online but not break the wallet. I have a friend that is a professional painter and is a pro with a can of spray paint as far as leaving an even coating/no drips/etc.
Old 10-11-11, 11:48 PM
kwjohns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Krylon or RustOleum <-- u dont want to use this for a bike.
What is wrong with using those on a bike after primer and followed up with a clear coat?
Old 10-12-11, 01:03 AM
sannerbikes700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I had one of those exact Cinelli frames brand new in my shop the other day and threw it on the alignment table for kicks. When flip flopped on the table, the seat tube was off by 8mm at the top, and the head tube was off by 14mm. Yikes!

Not related to the post just thought I'd share!
Old 10-12-11, 06:15 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because... hmmm... just do it as you wish and tell us how it went

Originally Posted by kwjohns
What is wrong with using those on a bike after primer and followed up with a clear coat?
Old 10-12-11, 10:09 AM
reddog3

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You certainly can do it with aerosols if you wish. But the readily available aerosols (like Krylon or Rustoleum) will have some durability issues, and you will have a hard time finding the right colors.

There are some custom can fillers which can provide "quality" auto points, in either 1 or 2 part formulations. Sourcing single cans can be somewhat expensive. And you need primer- color and clear coats for the best job. Expect $20-30 per can.

Check out apstowerpaint dot com. They are one supplier of high quality custom mixed aerosols. Lots of info there. Get your "pro" painter buddy to help you decipher the choices if you are unsure of painting systems.

Also- getting an exact match to that Cinelli color will be a little tough. But- A Mini Cooper color called "Oxygen Blue" is a real close match. It's a deep off-blue, non-metallic color. Check it out online.
Old 10-12-11, 10:11 PM
kwjohns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!