Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

raynaurd symptom

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

raynaurd symptom

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 05:21 AM
bnelson

Bikes: lynskey cross 29 er teesdale custom snow bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raynaurd symptom

any one have to deal with this Really makes winter a pain in the toes
Old 12-09-11, 06:29 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have symptoms that are consistent with raynard's, but no diagnosis. I have platform pedals and low top boots rated down to -10° F (IIRC), got them at a hunting store. If I keep my legs from getting cold, the insulated boots are enough to keep my feet toasty warm.. my feet sweat profusely if I leave them on inside.
Old 12-09-11, 06:39 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I also have Raynaud's which is a real pain in the ....fingers & toes. Usually kicks in at 30 something degrees, but sometimes in the 40's. Doesn't matter if I have gloves, mittens, or nothing on my hands, it seems to just have a mind of its own and occurs randomly. Fingers go totally white which scares the heck out of me, but the real pain kicks in when they begin to thaw out. Sometimes takes longer than others to thaw, but pain is excrutiating. Really limits my winter biking because I don't want to be too far from hot water or air (car heater vent). Not fun but something I have to live with. I've been told it's genetic and has no cure other than preventive measures which is why I think winter sucks..
Old 12-09-11, 10:02 AM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's Raynaud's Disease

Found the info at the Mayo Clinic website:

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ray...isease/DS00433
Old 12-09-11, 10:15 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I too have Reynaud's--and went through those horrible tests to confirm the diagnosis.

My symptoms have improved quite a bit since I started cycling. All that extra blood flow and capillary-building, I guess. Still, I need to be careful with hands and feet.

I made sure my winter boots are large enough that with extra pairs of socks, I don't squish out either the dead air space or squeeze my feet which reduces blood flow. I make sure my socks aren't too tight either. Compression=bad.

I've never found any single glove that really helps. Double-gloving is where it's at for me. I wear a large, summer-weight long-fingered MTB glove inside an XL (or XXL depending) windproof winter cycling glove. That works for me.

Finally, where many people will put on a vest for extra warmth, I'll put that extra layer on my arms and legs. I wear armwarmers and kneewarmers under my baselayer and tights respectively. And, of course, following the old advice to wear a hat if your feet are cold, I wear a winter-weight cycling skullcap, switching to a balaclava when it gets really cold. And my helmet has a winter insert which reduces airflow.

Dressed right, despite my Reynaud's, I can usually get 60-90 minutes on the bike in winter before my fingers and toes get uncomfortably cold. And in winter, that's about the longest I want to be on the bike anyway.
Old 12-09-11, 04:18 PM
bnelson

Bikes: lynskey cross 29 er teesdale custom snow bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone try electric socks?
Old 12-10-11, 12:00 PM
tech365commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I just wandered upon this thread and I have a couple suggestions.

Qualifications:

I worked at a high end backpacking store for 3 years selling hiking boots and shoes. I have successfully helped a couple people with Reynaud's.

1) Boot/Shoes. Whatever you do you need to keep the shoe loose enough that it keeps circulation in your boots. This actually goes for everyone. Getting a insulated boot will really help, but it will go to naught without enough space for your foot to circulate blood. I dont care what the rating of the boot is (-30degrees) your feet will be cold if you tie/tighten them up to much. Lots of people think double socking will help them out, but it easily causes the boot/shoe to fit too tight and .... cut of circulation. Beware of Double socking!

2) I was really surprised that no one had mentioned Bar mitts! They have completely changed my cold weather cycling. They are basically a neoprene cover that goes over your handlebars. They are better than any glove/mitten combo I have found. Wear a very light windproof glove under them and I can cycle all winter long. (note, my speed is somewhere between 14-16mph, thus I create enough heat in my body to keep relatively warm, if you dont ride fast enough to create heat/aerobic circulation, even these may not do the job for you. I have the road bike ones by the way. Best, they dont make your hands sweaty after riding in a light glove.

https://barmitts.com/index.php

In the past, since I commute 365 I have went though many pairs of gloves, I found for most of my temperatures lobster gloves work fine and for extreme temperatures (michigan weather 15degrees and below) I have some Mountain hardware mittens that work (single speed cross bike).