Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wasting chain lube

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wasting chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 06:20 AM
tly

Bikes: Cannondale T700 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasting chain lube

Ok, I just got a new bottle of chain lube and am frustrated that when I use it, too much comes out and I waste what seems like half the bottle until the fluid level gets down to around halfway. Anybody have a solution for this?
Old 09-13-12, 06:29 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
What brand of lube do you have and what type of container is used? I'm using Tri-Flow in the plastic bottle and I haven't had problems with using this brand. I hold the bottle at a shallow angle with no pressure in it to cause any sudden flow of lubricant. This works well for me.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-13-12, 06:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I don't like that mine squirts sideways and wastes lube that way
Old 09-13-12, 07:38 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I have an old ProLink chain lube bottle with a 4" long thin tube stuck into the nipple. This allows controlled application and I have just kept refilling it with whatever chain lube I'm using.
Old 09-13-12, 07:46 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I use ProGold ProLink in a 4oz bottle. My method is slower, but it has worked for me. Basically, I hold a rag in one hand under the chain link I'm putting the lubricant on and back pedal, allowing one drop on each link, one at a time. A 4oz bottle is good for about 20 lubes for me, or roughly 9 to 10 months.
Old 09-13-12, 07:51 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I also apply one drop at a time right in the pin. I don't squeeze the bottle unless the tip is dry. I wipe the outside of the side-plates and try to avoid removing oil from the inside of the plates or near the pin. After the first ride, I'll wipe down again and clean the rear rim with rubbing alcohol to remove any oil from the brake track.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-13-12, 08:04 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I use a home brew lube, and a ketchup bottle to apply it. At least half falls off the chain, on the the cardboard underneath. But since it cheap I don't really care. But it does require lots of wiping.
Old 09-13-12, 08:25 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I use ProGold ProLink in a 4oz bottle. My method is slower, but it has worked for me. Basically, I hold a rag in one hand under the chain link I'm putting the lubricant on and back pedal, allowing one drop on each link, one at a time. A 4oz bottle is good for about 20 lubes for me, or roughly 9 to 10 months.
What I do as well. The ProLink bottle is a good design. You can really control flow... Unfortunately since I ride alot and use 3 different bikes (one road - 2 mountain) the lube goes alot faster for me. Usually 3 - 4 months... I lube the MTB bikes after each ride.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 09-13-12, 08:33 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I use Boeshield T-9 in the 4 oz. bottle. I have to be very careful with it as it will run quickly. I don't like bottles that you need to snip the end of the bottle to open it. The first cut inevitably isn't far enough in to open it and the second cut is too wide...next time I'll snip and then use a pin to open it!
Old 09-13-12, 12:10 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another vote for ProLink. And for one drop on each link. On a fixed gear with a 1/8" chain and master link, it's a lot easier to see when to stop, as you generally start and end at the master, and there are only about 96 lnks. For a road bike you need to know how many links (usually it's 110-114 on a short-cage derailleur). I usually count four links at a time so I don't get lost or confused. No idea how many uses I get out of a bottle, but I usually relube every 400 km under dry conditions, and as required during the wet season.

Luis
Old 09-13-12, 12:14 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Dumonde Tech Lite, dropwise, as noted. Lasts a long time. Best you can use. Stinks. You'll get used to the smell.
Old 09-13-12, 07:24 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I'm using Chain L.

I got a 1CC hypodermic from the drug store for $.50 and 1/2 drop at a time right where I want it.
Old 09-13-12, 07:45 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hole to big or just hard to put even squeeze pressure? The method I use is to hold the nipple on the chain, spin the cranks not too fast and then try to apply the lube. If too much comes out the moving chain catches it. The lube tends to grab onto the moving chain and not drip off. I can even press the nipple to the side of the moving chain and lube that. To even it out press the chain between thumb and forefinger. Oh, using Finish Line Dry. So after lubing I wipe the excess off the chain and let it dry till my next ride. When this bottle is gone, I'll try a different brand, maybe ProLink.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 09-13-12, 08:46 PM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang, I apparently do not lube enough.
Old 09-13-12, 09:56 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have not used any chainlube in over 30+ years!!!
I use the old fashioned hot/liquid wax method.
Old 09-13-12, 11:40 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Pro-Link Gold. I never squeeze the bottle, just a gentle tap on each link and only one drop comes out. This stuff does not attract dirt on either road or mountain bike chains--amazing.
Old 09-14-12, 12:30 AM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is what I'm using now: https://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...ge/val/982.jpg
It's synthetic gear oil, thick stuff that takes a while to soak in. I poked a hole in the bottle tip with a safety pin, and it's been really easy to dispense a drop at a time. One drop per pin, let it sit a while, spin the chain around a bit then wipe off the excess. I only have about 300 miles with it(only applied it once so far), but I'm liking it as well as anything I've ever used. The quart I have of it should last a loooong time. Has a sulfurous odor, but the smell is tolerable.

ProLink is what I've used the most in the past although I've also used Rock and Roll Absolute Dry, Boeshield T9, White Lightning(original--think it may be called Clean Ride now), Tri-Flow, air tool oil, and probably at least a couple of other things over the years.
Old 09-14-12, 09:50 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use ProLink, but buy a big bottle (quart size?) and refill the 4 oz bottle. I've stopped doing the 'drop per link' thing though. What I do, every couple or three rides, is to:

a) wet a folded up 'paper rag' with lube, and then run the chain through that to get all the junk off I can.
b) hold the rag against each of the RD pulleys to clean them
c) hold that same rag under the chain as I lube it, applying lube to the whole chain.
d) refold the rag, and run the chain through it again, to remove more junk and excess lube.

With this method, I never have to use a degreaser thingie, and the chain stays pretty clean (and quiet). It uses up some lube, but that cleans things. I know there is still some grit in there that could be removed by degreasing with a 'bath' tool, but my chains last several thousand miles, so I'm okay with that.
Old 09-14-12, 02:24 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Use a little more finesse! Less tilt? Less squeeze? I don't understand how it's the bottle's fault?
Old 09-14-12, 03:12 PM
nondes 
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 203 Posts
I use ProLink. I tear the corner of a kitchen towel (that I use to wipe the chain afterwards), twist it and place it between 2 links so I can be sure of where to stop - saves me from lube-ing links I've already oiled.
Old 09-15-12, 05:26 AM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
teflon drylube user here. i have used it for many years on motorcycle oring chains and found after a few hundred miles the rollers become polished rather than frosted in appearance.
Old 09-15-12, 06:13 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I have not seen my friend do this, but he has quick links and removes the chain. After cleaning the chain, he hangs it vertically. He then lubes it from the top and let the lube run down the chain. No mess and less lubricant.
Old 09-15-12, 06:58 AM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the most anal retentive thread I've ever seen. So you waste a few drops, big deal. Put some lube on it, wipe off the excess and ride.
Old 09-15-12, 07:02 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by tly
Ok, I just got a new bottle of chain lube and am frustrated that when I use it, too much comes out and I waste what seems like half the bottle until the fluid level gets down to around halfway. Anybody have a solution for this?
Would help to know what type of lube you are using. With some lubes you are supposed to squirt a lot onto the chain, to wash out the dirt. (And of course, it's all good profit to the manufacturer). Some bottles are easier to squeeze from than others. Rock-n-Roll lube bottles make it easy -- imho -- to waste lube.

These days I'm using an oil lube (Chain-L, but that doesn't matter). Those are best applied drop by drop.
Old 09-15-12, 07:54 AM
Pete In Az

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tly
Save the old, empty bottle and when you get a new one, pour half of it into the old one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.