Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about Camelbak Hydration Pack when Cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 11:16 PM
Warriors Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was cycling today with my hydration pack for the first time. Not sure if this fits the cycling forum though, but I seem to be very confused with the pack.

Every time I put water in the pack, it somehow seemed to disappear by the time I took a sip. Now this doesn't seem to make any sense because I would have felt the water come out.

The other negative thing about the hydropack was that it has a little cap on it. I did end up taking this cap off. The reason is because it is too cumbersome to put back on. You have to wiggle it around several of times and how can i do that when cycling?

And lastly this hydropack seems to make a mess. Every time I fill it with water and close it, it's really hard to keep the water from flowing outwards and close it at the same time.

So all in all I was really frustrated when using this thing. It came with virtually no instructions.
Old 09-19-12, 11:28 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Which hydration pack do you have? I have one of their milgrade hydration packs and I have NEVER had a problem filling it, closing it, or having the water "disappear" from it or using what I can only presume from your description is the big bite valve cover.

Originally Posted by Warriors Fan
I was cycling today with my hydration pack for the first time. Not sure if this fits the cycling forum though, but I seem to be very confused with the pack.

Every time I put water in the pack, it somehow seemed to disappear by the time I took a sip. Now this doesn't seem to make any sense because I would have felt the water come out.

The other negative thing about the hydropack was that it has a little cap on it. I did end up taking this cap off. The reason is because it is too cumbersome to put back on. You have to wiggle it around several of times and how can i do that when cycling?

And lastly this hydropack seems to make a mess. Every time I fill it with water and close it, it's really hard to keep the water from flowing outwards and close it at the same time.

So all in all I was really frustrated when using this thing. It came with virtually no instructions.
Old 09-21-12, 06:48 PM
digger531

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Salsa Vaya, Redline D440, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the water is probably still there. you need to get the air out or that is all you will suck
Old 09-21-12, 07:23 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

1. Remove the bladder from the pack.
2. Remove the cap and fill with bladder with water.
3. Replace the cap so the water won't make a mess.
4. Place the filled bladder back in the pack. Make sure there are no kinks or twists in the hose.
5. Enjoy drinking while riding.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-21-12, 11:24 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH

1. Remove the bladder from the pack.
2. Remove the cap and fill with bladder with water.
3. Replace the cap so the water won't make a mess.
4. Place the filled bladder back in the pack. Make sure there are no kinks or twists in the hose.
5. Enjoy drinking while riding.
Depending on the style of the cap your suggestion isn't going to work. Mine for example.

The opening sticks out of the pack and the cap has a plastic retaining band. If I did as you suggest I'd spill water all over the place.

CamelBak makes a number of hydration packs like this.
Old 09-23-12, 01:13 PM
Pete In Az

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You DO know that you're supposed to bight down on the cap on the end of the tube to get the water out.

Right?
Old 09-23-12, 06:11 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete In Az
You DO know that you're supposed to bight down on the cap on the end of the tube to get the water out.

Right?
I think I'd PAY to read the OP's review on a bicycle! Haven't seen one of those come with instructions yet either.
Old 09-23-12, 09:23 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
There is a slit in the blue or black cap on the end of the tubing. The slit needs to be opened up before using the bladder the first time. Then you just bite down on the cap and it opens the slit so you can suck water out. If you took this cap off then you are likely just loosing the water out the tube as you ride.

The bladder needs to be placed in the camelbak with the tubing at the bottom and the fill port at the top, otherwise you will suck air until all the air is out of the bladder. Then you have to suck harder to get any water, since you do not have water pressure helping push the water into the tube.

After filling the bladder 3/4 full, hold the bladder upright (fillcap portion up) and screw the cap on.
Old 09-24-12, 01:43 PM
Warriors Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete In Az

Right?

No. Im supposed to bite it to get water out? I just took it off cuz it was bothersome
Old 09-24-12, 02:25 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
No. Im supposed to bite it to get water out? I just took it off cuz it was bothersome
If you take the bite valve off, you'll just create a siphon that will empty the bladder. The bite valve is just that...a valve. To paraphrase the fabulous Lauren Bacall: You do know how to bit, don't you. Just put it between your teeth and bite (and suck)
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-01-12, 01:37 AM
Warriors Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If you take the bite valve off, you'll just create a siphon that will empty the bladder. The bite valve is just that...a valve. To paraphrase the fabulous Lauren Bacall: You do know how to bit, don't you. Just put it between your teeth and bite (and suck)

the water comes out with that blocking it?
Old 10-01-12, 06:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
the water comes out with that blocking it?
The bite valve is split. When you bite it, it opens and lets water flow. When you release it, the valve closes. Squeeze the valve with your fingers and see how it works.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-01-12, 07:59 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Sometimes the operation is not as intuitive as we think. I bought my wife one of those right angle attachments for her Camelbak with a shutoff valve, so that it doesn't leak if you accidentally set the pack down on the bit valve. She complained to me that the new valve was a hassle to use. She didn't realize the existing bite valve was supposed to go onto the new one.
Old 10-01-12, 10:05 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
The troll is strong on this one!