Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 03:45 PM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by panic66

Picked her up today! the guys at Trinity bicycles in fort worth did a great job!!!

Alfine hubs
Jtek shifter
Dyad rims
Lumotec cyo n plus lights
Hey... have I seen this on campus at UTA?
Old 09-01-11, 08:56 PM
merkong
Cyclist, Runner & TRX'er

Bikes: Steel Bianchi, 29 inch Redline Monocog, a Carbon something someday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
Old 09-02-11, 07:00 AM
dbrown417

Bikes: 77 Schwinn LeTour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Added new bars and brake levers to my beater this past weekend. It's an '87 Schwinn World Sport with stock components, 27x1-1/4" Schwalbe Marathons, chopped drops to bullhorns, Forte inline brake levers, and a super snazzy Transit seat bag.

Last edited by dbrown417; 09-03-11 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 10:21 AM
overt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my commuter bike: 1985 Trek 600 with all stock components. The paint is pretty beat up, lots of scratches and chips, but no dents in the tubing. I wanted something that wouldn't be very appealing to theives, but still a nice ride. I settled on this steel lugged Reynolds 531cs tube bike and I'm very happy with it.

I added Planet Bike fenders (tight fit!) and a Tubus Cargo rack to hold my Ortlieb panniers. For illumination, I have a cheap bontrager LED taillight and for my headlight a bored Surefire C2 with an A19 extender so I can run 2 18500 Li Ion cells powering a Torchlab L1 Triple XPG (~1000 lumens out the front)--good for ~75 minutes. My commute is pretty short compared to most around here: only 4 miles one way, and it's 90% on a bicycle trail.

Anyways, here's my bike:

Last edited by overt; 02-04-12 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-03-11, 09:06 PM
sudoshift
$ sudo shift

Bikes: 2008 Dahon Curve SL | Some type of 20-inch foldie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mardmakarm
Finally finish install Alfine 8 to Kona Sutra.

Duuude! Looks hot!
Old 09-04-11, 01:41 PM
jpatkinson

Bikes: Gunnar, Surly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 CIVIA Bryant

I chose parts for reliability, durability, and simplicity. Alfine 11 + Gates CenterTrack. 33-1/2 pounds. Built-up by the crew at Pedal Revolution. I love riding this bike: solid, not twitchy, but not sluggish, either. Gear ratios not perfect for my weak legs and SF hills, but I am hoping things will get easier with more cycling. I have a 2 mile commute through the city and park it in my office. I use it for quick errands and trailer my daughter through Golden Gate park on weekends.

Old 09-04-11, 03:06 PM
agobel

Bikes: '87 Stumpjumper, '81 Nishiki International

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hybridized 1987 Specialized Stumpjumper newly set up with trekking bars. All I really carry is a change of clothes. This bike suits my needs and matches my style perfectly.

Really digging them so far; very comfortable and great positions
Old 09-04-11, 03:14 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post that in the hybrid forum! The regulars there (me included) would get a kick out of that!
Old 09-04-11, 03:47 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Old 09-04-11, 05:57 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by agobel
Really digging them so far; very comfortable and great positions
My primary commuter is also an older mtb that has been fitted with trekking bars... the versatility of these allows for a lot of different set ups and are often great problem solvers for people who can't stand their flat or riser bars.
Old 09-04-11, 07:28 PM
agobel

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
My primary commuter is also an older mtb that has been fitted with trekking bars...
Sixty Fiver, in my deliberation phase, your many posts pertaining to trekking bars were very insightful and convincing. Thanks! Now that I have them set up and adjusted ALMOST perfectly, it's easy to see what all the fuss was about. I think anyone with a bike even remotely similar to mine should give them a shot at some point.
Old 09-04-11, 07:32 PM
agobel

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
Post that in the hybrid forum!
Done and done. Go get your kicks, and let me know what you think! I'm sometimes timid to create new threads for stuff that others may not consider newsworthy. On the other hand, I've drawn so much inspiration from random stuff on the forum, hopefully I can offer some up for someone else. I'm really pleased (and proud) with how this bike turned out.
Old 09-04-11, 09:22 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by agobel
Sixty Fiver, in my deliberation phase, your many posts pertaining to trekking bars were very insightful and convincing. Thanks! Now that I have them set up and adjusted ALMOST perfectly, it's easy to see what all the fuss was about. I think anyone with a bike even remotely similar to mine should give them a shot at some point.
Pleased all my ramblings about them helped... have them on 2 bikes now that my hybrid has gone to a new home and it's owner also loves the trekking bars and after experiencing an injury that makes riding in the drops impossible, this offered the next best choice.

Have refitted many bicycles with these over the past 3 years, most were mid eighties ATB's that are seeing new life as commuters and touring bikes as well as one tandem.
Old 09-05-11, 01:01 AM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trekking bars FTW!
Old 09-05-11, 03:04 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts

Just need to sort out the wiring.
Old 09-05-11, 03:52 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Grocery Getter

Don't know if I ever posted this one here, but I love riding it so much that I post it again anyway....... It is still my favorite day-to-day ride.

After years of swapping out part with some of my other bikes and picking up on screaming deals when they popped up, most of the parts are now carbon fiber except for the XTR derailleurs and shifters, and the Ritchey SPD pedals. It is a bit retro, and I would never have started out building it with all the carbon (because I never planned to spend much for a bike that I just use for commuting), but over the years the deals just kept showing up.

I get a kick out of all of the guys that I find hanging outside of the supermarket, etc. that want to talk about all of the carbon parts on such an old frame or where did I find the wheels, etc. Most seem to be either younger guys who can't quite 'WHY?", or guys in their late 40s or 50s who used to ride before they started a family, but now have their old race bikes just hanging on the garage wall.

It's kind of a conversation starter like an old Camero or Cuda that you use as an errand runner because it's just too much fun to leave at home when ever I don't have a good reason to take the one of the other road bikes or mountain bikes.

Originally Posted by scroca
So I guess those wheels hold up pretty well, eh? I've always wondered about them. What's the advantage to those for commuting, any?
I've never had any issues with the older Spinergy bladed wheels like the ones on this bike (or several older road bikes I no longer own) except that they are a bit heavy. I actually just picked these up used about a year off eBay and swapped them out to used its previous much lighter set of Spinergy spoked newer versions to use on another bike. Weight has never been an issue with this bike, but even with the steel frame and these wheels the bike barely weighs 20lb.

Last edited by Stealthammer; 09-06-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-05-11, 06:03 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
Don't know if I ever posted this one here, but I love riding it so much that I post it again anyway....... It is still my favorite day-to-day ride.

So I guess those wheels hold up pretty well, eh? I've always wondered about them. What's the advantage to those for commuting, any?
Old 09-05-11, 06:16 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scoatw
Wow!
Old 09-05-11, 06:31 AM
fusilierdan

Bikes: Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DSC_0194.jpg

My recently rattle canned Giant Sedona circa 1987.
Old 09-05-11, 11:50 AM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I got this 2010 Cannondale Quick Rigid bike about two months back and I didn`t know what to expect with the disc brakes and the SRAM shifting components. I learned how to adjust the brakes and they stop in a hurry. The sram shifting surprised me how easy it shifts, I think I like it better than the shimano shifting components on my other bikes. Its my go to bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0204.jpg (88.7 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by Vaportrail56; 09-05-11 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-05-11, 11:54 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jpatkinson
Finally, three and a half months after first approaching my LBS with a build idea for my perfect commuter, she is home! I have been commuting since July 20 on my old road bike, so tomorrow will be my first day on the new commuter bike. I will post a ride report in a few weeks.

Beautiful!!!
FWIW you can cut the kickstand legs so the rear tire is only .5"-1" off the ground EDIT: Just saw your update - looks like you've got it covered.

How are you liking the 11?
Old 09-05-11, 12:35 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scoatw
Cool bike. I'll have to keep an eye out for it in town, of course it is camouflaged, so I'll never see it

BTW, when I was in the Navy, a guy in my class in Orlando bought a huge old Cadillac and spray painted it camouflage. Wish I had a picture of that. He also flunked out of Nuke School, but he was one hell of an artist.
Old 09-05-11, 01:09 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

New kid... will soon be 40 years old.

Old 09-05-11, 01:31 PM
Onions
Insane Member

Bikes: Huffy Grand Prairie 15sp MTB (don't hate!), 1980 Schwinn World Tourist, 1976 Schwinn Traveler, 1974 Romic Custom (project bike!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "new" commuter - a rebuilt 1980 Schwinn World Tourist. It's a pretty decent light touring bike with a CrMo frame and a nice upright geometry. I originally bought it for my wife to ride, but she has never ridden a bike before, and due to ongoing health issues, will do better learning on the Huffy, with it's fat tires and lower step-over.

In the mean time, I get a much nicer ride for my commute! At least until I get the Romic that a friend gave me rebuilt. :3 Then I'll have a REALLY nice ride~
Attached Images
IMG_3581.jpg (102.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 09-05-11, 01:43 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These are my bikes, both of which get used for commuting. The left one is my 3-speed 'thing' which started as a cheap mtb I rescued from the dump and repainted. The modifications began from there. Since taking this, it's also gained some proper slick tyres to replace the semi-slicks on there. By now it's assumed the role of a dutch-style city bike which I use for everyday commuting and general riding around. Sometimes I bolt a wooden crate to the rear rack to carry shopping or bulky stuff.

The red bike is my dad's old Raleigh Scorpion. This is my backup commuter bike for when the thing is out of action. It's mostly standard, apart from the handlebars which are the original bars from the thing, turned upside down. A rear rack is next on the list. It's a bit faster than the thing due to the slightly more stretched out position and higher gearing. I use this if I'm in a hurry or fancy a change of wheels.
Attached Images
Image0023.jpg (100.0 KB, 156 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.