Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

fixed century

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 12:28 PM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check the route on Mapmyride.com for elevation changes. Make sure you use a gear ratio that will allow you to handle the steepest hill. Build up your endurance by riding longer rides; 60 miles, 75 miles etc prior to the event. I've done 2 centuries on a geared bike, and would like to try one fixed, but it would have to be less hilly than what I usually ride geared here in KY.
Old 09-03-11, 02:56 PM
colinmcnamara

Bikes: Trek Road Bike, Weyless MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden a few centuries on my fixed gear, as well as multiple double centuries and a 1200k on my road bike. First and foremost, you need to do address nutrition and hydration for any ride longer then 60 miles. Velocio's advice to eat before you are hungry and drink before you are thirsty hold true. Adding a fixed gear to the mix introduces a new dimension to the ride. Because you cannot coast, especially on downhills, metabolically a fixed century is more like 130 miles. The second challenge is hills. Going up is hard, going down is harder. Mke sure that your brakes a working well. Setting a drag break on downhills will save your legs. Third challenge is chaffing. Bag balm and chamois creme is your friend, and be sure to bring some extra in your seat pack. And above all, keep a positive attitude and you will do great.
Old 09-03-11, 10:48 PM
oneeyedhobbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did my first century last saturday with a pal. I had a wrench on me to flip to my freewheel if I got beat, but ended up staying fixed the whole time. We rode like 4 miles then stopped to stretch. Otherwise we had plenty of water and an apple on the bike before stopping at about the 50 mile mark for lunch/to rest by a river. We were exhausted after, but it was super fun.

So not to underestimate the importance of food and such, but I don't think you need to stress about gels and all this other dietary advice. I don't think I'm in great shape, but I do ride at least 15 miles everyday (work and back), most often more for funzies/fitness.

Oh, definitely don't do a martini after =). I rested a bit after the ride then went to a gallery opening. We went for drinks after and one martini hit me like whoa. I was ready to take on world =).
Old 09-04-11, 09:33 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xB_Nutt
Check the route on Mapmyride.com for elevation changes. Make sure you use a gear ratio that will allow you to handle the steepest hill...
This. ^^^

Just did a metric century yesterday and ended up doing switchbacks on a 10% grade for about .25 mi. Not too bad as it was rural and only a couple of cars went by. Make sure you take dog protection as one can't freewheel, unclip and kick at the little(or big ) harrasser on a fg. If you've got one wear a 'road jersey' and keep water bottles and Clif bars in the extra pockets.

+1 on all the other suggestions re food and hydration. It topped out @ 99F on my ride yesterday. Very little shade, so I stopped a couple of times that I wouldn't have normally. Killed 2 glasses of self-mixed Gatorade w/ice when I got home.

Oh yeah, have fun!
Old 09-06-11, 02:40 AM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While we're on the topic, any Chicago area folks doing the North Shore Century on the 18th?

Last edited by jimmytango; 09-06-11 at 02:42 AM. Reason: autocorrect sucks...
Old 09-06-11, 10:45 AM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Plenty of coffee before the ride and a good dump.
Old 09-06-11, 06:00 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did another fg metric century yesterday, but this time it was rainiing the whole time. Temp was in the 60s. What a difference. Didn't stop the whole way and drank out of my wb while pedaling. Took five hours as rolling resistance is much higher in the rain. That being said I, also agree with the above statement as well.
Old 09-06-11, 07:36 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xB_Nutt
Check the route on Mapmyride.com for elevation changes. Make sure you use a gear ratio that will allow you to handle the steepest hill. Build up your endurance by riding longer rides; 60 miles, 75 miles etc prior to the event. I've done 2 centuries on a geared bike, and would like to try one fixed, but it would have to be less hilly than what I usually ride geared here in KY.
This one is just down the road: https://www.clarksvillecentury.com/Home.html

I've done it twice fixed. Not flat, but only one short hill to take you under 10 mph. I manage 18-19 mph ave.
Old 09-06-11, 09:06 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
Did another fg metric century yesterday, but this time it was rainiing the whole time. Temp was in the 60s. What a difference. Didn't stop the whole way and drank out of my wb while pedaling. Took five hours as rolling resistance is much higher in the rain. That being said I, also agree with the above statement as well.
u gotta put these up in the 12k thread!

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 09-07-11, 08:37 AM
misskaz
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmytango
While we're on the topic, any Chicago area folks doing the North Shore Century on the 18th?
Nope, the 18th is the first cyclocross race of the season, in Jackson Park! (I'm just going to watch but the plan is to race at least one this season.)
Old 09-07-11, 01:28 PM
craveone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would love to try and do a century...hell, even a 50 mile ride would be nice to try, need a better bike that fits thats for sure...all good advice that i will take note of when i am ready to try this
Old 09-07-11, 03:14 PM
dookie

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
i will be doing one this weekend on a well-supported local charity ride. 46/16 on an absurdly flat course (under 200ft vertical), comfy steel frame w/drops, bottle bosses & brake. i will be with a large group of capable riders and expect to average 20+mph.
Old 09-07-11, 06:40 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dookie
i will be doing one this weekend on a well-supported local charity ride. 46/16 on an absurdly flat course (under 200ft vertical), comfy steel frame w/drops, bottle bosses & brake. i will be with a large group of capable riders and expect to average 20+mph.
That's flat and fast. Unless you can comfortably spin 90-100 RPM for 4-5 hours, I'd be tempted to go for 48/16 or 46/15.
Old 09-07-11, 06:47 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sam83
spin 90-100 RPM for 4-5 hours
just like everyone else

Last edited by hairnet; 09-07-11 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-07-11, 08:12 PM
skinny matt
more coffee please

Bikes: a couple schwinns

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a nasty saddle sore right now, and just the thought of doing a fixed century makes me want to cut my a** off. Lube up and make sure you clean your business real thoroughly when you're done.
Old 09-07-11, 09:02 PM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misskaz
Nope, the 18th is the first cyclocross race of the season, in Jackson Park! (I'm just going to watch but the plan is to race at least one this season.)
Well, if for some reason I can't make it to the century, I may just go watch some CX with ya.
Old 09-08-11, 01:35 PM
dookie

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sam83
That's flat and fast. Unless you can comfortably spin 90-100 RPM for 4-5 hours, I'd be tempted to go for 48/16 or 46/15.
Originally Posted by hairnet
just like everyone else
except that most everyone else can also choose 0 RPM, should it suit them! i contemplated joining the fastest bunch (at 23-24mph) with a 15t cog, but it can be windy and i decided the 'B' pace with a slightly lower gear was where it's at this time...76" is perfect for a fast cruise.
Old 09-08-11, 02:05 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

except that most everyone else can also choose 0 RPM, should it suit them!
What does that have to do with it? You chose to ride fixed.
Old 09-08-11, 02:57 PM
dookie

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
What does that have to do with it? You chose to ride fixed.
i believe sam's point was 'non-stop 5hr spin @ 100rpm', to which you replied 'like everyone else'. my point: not like everyone else. they can coast.
Old 09-09-11, 03:32 PM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed gear centuries!!! yea!!! You need 3 things

1. Lots of energy-Eat a lot of; carbs-whole wheat- the day before the ride. essential vitamins-especially vitamin B(all of them) although you should stock up on all of them. it works better if you get them from a natural source instead of a synthetically made one in a capsule. Protein-from legumes, and/or grains. Fat from the same place. during the ride make sure you have fruit which has electrolytes ,simple sugars oh yea and H2O!! a Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwhich is one of the best fuels to have and its easy to carry and can have up to 1/2 of what your body needs in a day(Lipids, Proteins, Carbs)also carry a mixture of nuts, dried fruits, and CHOCOLATE(dark not sugary chocolate)-I cant stress this enough- chocolate is verrrrry essential when touring, racing or riding long distances. it helps maintain your blood acidity in a balanced stage. since, when we ride our bikes, we inhale a larger than normal amount of carcinogens like oxygen which will and can make your blood dangerously acidic and will cause you to fatigue faster. unless you balance it out with an alkaloid like chocolate.

2. Find out the elevation changes during the route to accommodate flats and hills, by changing your gear ratio, if needed. https://Mapmyride.com/routes/create

3. stretch!!! before during and after-you will be happy you did the day or week after.

I did not read the thread I just got exited when I read Fixed gear century-My 3 favorite words!!
Let us know how it went.
Old 09-09-11, 03:51 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

i believe sam's point was 'non-stop 5hr spin @ 100rpm', to which you replied 'like everyone else'. my point: not like everyone else. they can coast.
as opposed to spinning 60, 70, 80? I wouldn't want to pedaling that slow in a group going 20+
Old 09-12-11, 08:35 AM
dookie

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
as opposed to spinning 60, 70, 80? I wouldn't want to pedaling that slow in a group going 20+
one last time...my point (and i believe sam's) was not about the pedaling, it was about the not pedaling.

in any case, my ride went very well. great weather, no incidents to speak of. 98.8mi by my computer (many others were a touch higher @~101, so i suspect i need to check my rollout), 5:01 moving, 19.7mph average (20.1, if the 101mi distance is correct).

the (geared) hot shoes went out fast and were cruising at 25-30mph for extended periods (finishing w/24+ avg)...not for me on this bike! with the 46/16 i found my sweet spot to be ~22-23mph (hairnet...right at 100rpm) on this course...but the B group wanted to be just a touch slower and i didn't want to be alone, so 20 it was.

some interesting numbers:
100 miles = 6.34 million inches = 83.8 thousand crank revolutions with my 75.6" gear.

Last edited by dookie; 09-12-11 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 11:11 AM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. I never knew chocolate was something to eat during a ride. I'll try that sometime.