Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Soma Doublecross

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Soma Doublecross

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 12:17 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by alfred mcdougal
I just got done inspecting the frame and I have few criticisms.

1. I agree with Lycc825's criticism about the cable stops being to close to the cantilever hangers. Rub might occur. Some kind of plastic sheathing around the brake cable in that area will alleviate the problem.

2. The left cantilever hanger is approximately 2 - 3 degrees off center.

Other than that everything looks fine. The paint job is gorgeous. The welding is satisfactory; I didn't see any butts that concerned me. No dents or scratches. All of the cable stops were centered on the tubes and parallel with the tubes.

I'm not a frame builder, but I find the build satisfactory.
I don't know how happy I'd be about that. I assume you mean one of the left cantilever bosses, correct? If not, the left/front hanger should be a seperate piece that is not part of the frame; simply loosen up your stem, move the hanger, then tighten back down.
Old 05-29-09, 12:48 PM
dwr1961

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta run discs... I absolutely love my BB7 roads - and they've always come with adapters. If you are going to ride in inclement weather they are awesome. They're great in good weather, too!
Old 05-29-09, 10:23 PM
alfred mcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I assume you mean one of the left cantilever bosses, correct?
Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by alfred mcdougal; 05-29-09 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 10:28 PM
alfred mcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwr1961
Gotta run discs... I absolutely love my BB7 roads - and they've always come with adapters. If you are going to ride in inclement weather they are awesome. They're great in good weather, too!
I just got my pair in the mail today. They look nice. Hopefully the ride nice.
Old 06-11-09, 08:12 AM
alfred mcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the OP get this particular frame?
Old 06-12-09, 09:11 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Still researching. It's a front-runner, though in the end with the conversion costs it only saves me a few hundred over a Gunnar or the like.

It's the re-paint that's killing me on this. And the shipping. Bike and couplers alone aren't that big of a deal.

So I'm down to this, a Hab Ti bike (though I'd have to ask what they charge for adding disc tabs) and a Gunnar Crosshairs or Fastlane.
Old 06-13-09, 06:56 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
So I'm down to this, a Hab Ti bike (though I'd have to ask what they charge for adding disc tabs) and a Gunnar Crosshairs or Fastlane.
Let us know the price of a Hab ti with couplers & a rear disc brake tab. This might be my next build project.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-13-09, 03:02 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Let us know the price of a Hab ti with couplers & a rear disc brake tab. This might be my next build project.

Michael
Will do. I know it won't be cheaper than converting a Soma...but if it's not that much more expensive, it could be worth it. The bonus of converting the Hab Ti bike is that I won't need to worry about the re-paint, since it's just a brushed finish. That can save me $300 off of the Soma conversion.
Old 06-13-09, 03:18 PM
Cue
Banned.

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
For Hab, you might as well go directly to the folks who makes the frame for them, XACD.

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=173509
Old 07-02-09, 07:49 AM
alfred mcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm done building the bike. I can't say if the following issue is specific to the Double Cross DC frame I received from SOMA, I weight to much, or this is a design flaw.

My seatpost keeps slipping. Per their specifications I am using a 27.2mm seatpost.

I weigh 199 Lbs. With my back pack and cloths my weight is probably 215 – 225 Lbs.

I have 2 other bikes besides this SOMA and both have their seatposts clamped to the seat tube with 5.5 Nm of torque. Absolutely no seatpost slipping, ever. The seatpost slipping is occurring at that torque value on the SOMA. I increased the torque to 6.2 NM and slipping is still occurring. I'm not sure if I can place increased force onto the seatpost or it might bend.

The SOMA only has a bolt that threads into eyelets welded to the frame vs utilizing a seatpost clamp. I'm not sure if this was a good design choice or not, I'm simply reporting this issue to the OP and the forum.
Old 07-02-09, 08:03 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
alfred, that is one of my few gripes with Soma and the only thing that keeps me from building up more Soma frames. it is a caution i mention to friends i talk to about Somas. one of my coworkers' DoubleCross has a slipping seatpost as well.

they should switch to a collared design IMO but that adds unduly to the cost of manufacture i suppose...
Old 07-02-09, 08:27 AM
alfred mcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't use a shim, the fit is too tight. I can't increase torque or I will bend the seatpost.

Now what do I do? Should I send it back and have SOMA cut off the eyelets, file the area down so it is smooth, and repaint the area? That way I can use a seatpost clamp?

I spent a lot of money on this build, a slipping seatpost is absolutely unacceptable, it renders the bike unrideable.
Old 07-02-09, 08:29 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can't at the moment if it's the DC. They're all bobbing around on a container in the Pacific for 3-4 more weeks. .
Old 07-07-09, 01:39 PM
intheways

Bikes: Soma Doublecross DC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lycc825

I ride about 80 miles a week. I've had the bike about 5months now. Best commuter i've had. Nothing really crooked. I don't use the canti mounts. I have Avid BB7 Road Disc Brakes. The derailleur is really strong. I once broke my SRAM Rival Derailleur once right by the bolt (I was in a really low gear going up a hill and a large but short stick got lodged in my derailleur) and the derailleur only slightly got bent. It was only a 5 min fix with a deraileur hanger alignment tool. Only think I didnt like was that the seat post binder is integrated with the frame and not separate.
Mine is a 54cm. I'm about 5'9" with 30-31" inseam.
Nice ride! I just ordered a 50 cm which now has me worried, because I'm about the same size as you. I made my decision based off of the effective toptube length. How do you like the fit of yours? What rims did you use?

Thanks
Old 07-15-09, 11:05 PM
Lycc825

Bikes: Soma DoubleCross Disc for cross, Motobecane 700HT for cross-country, Monty for trials, IRO Angus for fixed, 83' Gitane Sprint for communting

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The top tube for me on the 54cm is a bit high. I have a longer torso length than legs. The reach is perfect for me.
Old 08-29-12, 05:54 PM
Wardman

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello All!

How are your Soma DC's holding up? I just ordered one with Rival and BB7's. Still thinking drop or straight bar for it, but cannot wait either way.

Wardman
Old 08-29-12, 07:23 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wardman
Hello All!

How are your Soma DC's holding up? I just ordered one with Rival and BB7's. Still thinking drop or straight bar for it, but cannot wait either way.

Wardman
I've got a 2009 with BB7's and Shimano/Campy mix. It's my go-to ride and zero complaints. Build quality is very good, nothing off center and no slipping seatpost either!
Old 08-29-12, 07:44 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have you looked at this: https://salsacycles.com/culture/new_f...ng_vaya_travel
Old 08-30-12, 04:00 AM
Simpletommy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's nice. But it is a heavier frame. And, as stated, for any applications save fixed gear/single speed, or internal hubs, horizontal dropouts are, well, dumb...
Dude, don't feed the trolls.

I'm watching this thread becuase I'm interested in the Soma DCDC as well.
Old 09-02-12, 02:45 PM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts

My seatpost keeps slipping. Per their specifications I am using a 27.2mm seatpost.
I have a Soma Double Cross Disc and am very happy with it. However, I have a similar problem with the seat post, but I'm on the light site (~145 with a back pack). I don't have a torque wrench, but I kept tightening the post after each ride and kept an eye on the clamp. I was able to tighten it so it stopped slipping. This is a common problem for bikes (as is the opposite problem of a frozen seat post). A search for "seat post" in the title of the post came up with 40 pages of hits. If I was not able to tighten it enough, then I was going to try Scotch double stick tape as a shim. Does anyone know if this works?

Bicycle Times Magazine did a review of the Soma DC and the reviewer mentioned the seat post slipping. The reviewer switched seat posts and everything was fine. Your LBS might be of much help.

In Richard's Bicycle Book, he recommends if all else fails, drill a small hole in the frame's seat tube and seat post (with the bike upside down to prevent damage to the bottom bracket), and use a nut and bolt to keep the the post in position.
Old 09-03-12, 03:59 PM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the person who wanted to see the welds up close. They are smooth as silk.

Old 09-04-12, 05:48 AM
alfred mcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread brings back memories. I still have my Double Cross DC. It was my go-to commuter for 2 years. Overall, it's a solid performer.

As for the seatpost slipping issue... At the time, I ended up placing a DYI clamp around the seatpost above the seat tube to prevent seat post slipping. It worked. To the best of my knowledge, at this time, this is a known issue with some Soma bike frames. It's a common complaint.
Old 09-04-12, 09:37 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
My Cross check has semi horizontal dropouts.