Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

best laid plans - steel commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 11:28 PM
slowride454

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - Soma Double Cross Disc - Pivot Mach 429SL - Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy - Specialized Carve SL - Trek Farley 7 - GT Dyno VFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well I had my build all figured out...I have even ordered some of the misc parts like tires and new chainrings. I bought a used X9 RD and am trying to win a 11-36 cassette on ebay.

I only really had to get the frameset, wheels, and BB7 disc brakes.

So I went to my LBS to order a Salsa Vaya. Sorry...no can do. Out of stock and HUGE backlog. It's going to be a long while.

I even got white tires for heavens sakes!!!!

So here I am all broken hearted.

I might have found an alternative in the Soma Double Cross Disc. A tad cheaper and lighter. Gold is a cool vintage color.

I just don't see as many reviews online with rider raving about them like the Vaya.

The Volagi is probably out of my price range if I could find a frameset.
The LHT is too blah for my tastes. I need something lighter and more nimble/spirited.
Gunnar Fast Lane might be a choice...but almost 2x the price of the Salsa and Soma.
Ti frames are all too pricy

Any other suggestions?

Daily commuter, gravel trails with family, light touring/camping.

I'll be using a Force compact crank and brifters. Force FD. X9 RD. Ritchey Pro stem, handlebars, seatpost
Old 03-04-13, 11:36 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I really like my Singular Gryphon. It might be too burly for your needs - I run it with 50mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes and it can handle 2.4" Maxxis Ardent 29er tires. I wanted something that I could commute on, take on single track, gravel, and possibly bikepacking.
The Salsa Fargo is another option.

The Double cross is a nice looking bike, but tire width is more limited. Still, 37's are hefty enough for most folks.

Here's the Gryphon in commuter mode:

And in Single Track mode:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Singular commute side 1.jpg (103.2 KB, 312 views)
Old 03-04-13, 11:43 PM
slowride454

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - Soma Double Cross Disc - Pivot Mach 429SL - Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy - Specialized Carve SL - Trek Farley 7 - GT Dyno VFR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a GT Karakoram 29er for single track and XC. I just don't want to put too many road miles on it, and it isn't terribly fast on pavement. I have a Specialized Roubaix also, but I have to cross a handful of railroad tracks everyday on my way to work and the roads here are pretty bad. I just don't want to beat it up too bad commuting, and it isn't suited to racks and such. I commuted last year on the pair and really hated having to wear a backpack full of clothes and such. The worst was trying to carry an icecream cake in my backpack with my work clothes.
Old 03-04-13, 11:54 PM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not the Salsa Fargo? That's a 'do all' bike if I ever saw one. Change the tires, change the cranks and head out to whatever you want to do. This is the bike I'm seriously considering getting as I run on both roads, and there are lots of forest roads/fire trails around here I'd like to explore too.
Old 03-05-13, 07:21 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look at the surly's. All Cro Mo steel. https://surlybikes.com/
Old 03-05-13, 12:00 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
What size do you need? Universal Cycles has a 57cm frame and 52, 54, and 57cm complete bikes.

If you've got a local Kona dealer, I think you can get the Rove as a frameset.
Old 03-05-13, 01:18 PM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Vaya and I really like it. I live on the east coast, but found one at an Oregon bike shop that advertized on line. You might want to try that.
Old 03-05-13, 03:22 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a gorgeous Soma Double Cross disc today.
Old 03-05-13, 08:00 PM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always Ebay. Not sure what size you are but here are some options. I may be bidding on one of these.

LINK

EDIT--

you should not compare the Surly LHT rather the Surly Cross Check.

Last edited by Vlaam4ever; 03-05-13 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-05-13, 08:08 PM
slowride454

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did ebay and extensive internet searches. I need a frame only in 56.
Old 03-05-13, 08:25 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
I really like my Singular Gryphon. It might be too burly for your needs - I run it with 50mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes and it can handle 2.4" Maxxis Ardent 29er tires. I wanted something that I could commute on, take on single track, gravel, and possibly bikepacking.
The Salsa Fargo is another option.

The Double cross is a nice looking bike, but tire width is more limited. Still, 37's are hefty enough for most folks.

Here's the Gryphon in commuter mode:

And in Single Track mode:

Very yummy!!
Old 03-05-13, 09:15 PM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my Soma Double Cross Disc with a Whisky carbon fork

What size are you looking for? I might be selling it....
Old 03-05-13, 09:28 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you like the Soma? I can't find as many reviews for it compared to similar frames.
Old 03-05-13, 09:40 PM
xB_Nutt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by agent pombero
How do you like the Soma? I can't find as many reviews for it compared to similar frames.
Love it. Very smooth and nimble ride. Build quality is exceptional at this price point. The Tange Prestige steel is lighter and stiffer than plain jane 4130 chromoly steel. My only gripe is the top tube brake cable stops for running cantis. I'm not, so they kind of spoil the clean lines and can catch on clothing sometimes. All in all, it is a great all around commuter, light tourer, dirt path, even cyclocross if you so desire.
Old 03-05-13, 09:57 PM
slowride454

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK...I think I will go to my LBS tomorrow and order a disc only Soma Double Cross.

https://thewolfsmouth.files.wordpress...pg?w=488&h=819

https://somafab.blogspot.com/2012/12/...ross-disc.html

Should be able to get this for $550
Old 03-09-13, 12:47 AM
slowride454

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered everything online. Gonna return the white tires. This is going to be one sexy bike. I build the wheelset up with H Plus Son 42 Formation Face rims in GOLD with black hubs/spokes/nipples to match the frame/fork. I also ordered the Jagwire cable set in gold metal. The headset/stem/handlebars/seatpost/saddle are black.
Really the only things that won't match will be the BB7 road disc brakes and the Force components.

I think I'm going to like the way this turns out.
Old 03-09-13, 06:13 AM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowride454
I ordered everything online. Gonna return the white tires. This is going to be one sexy bike. I build the wheelset up with H Plus Son 42 Formation Face rims in GOLD with black hubs/spokes/nipples to match the frame/fork. I also ordered the Jagwire cable set in gold metal. The headset/stem/handlebars/seatpost/saddle are black.
Really the only things that won't match will be the BB7 road disc brakes and the Force components.

That will be a sharp looking ride.

BTW has the snow melted enough to commute yet. I spend a week per month in Appleton/Neenah. What a great flat area to ride bike...

Last edited by Vlaam4ever; 03-09-13 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-09-13, 06:48 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'd hold out for your first choice...or buy else where. I don't think you want to settle on something like a bike. That said, I have a friend who raves about the Soma Double Cross and I really liked how it rode the one time I tried it.
Old 03-09-13, 07:11 AM
xB_Nutt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowride454

Nice. Did you order from Universal Cycles? Good luck with the build and let me know if you have any questions about building it up. Did you get road or mountain hubs? The rear spacing on the Double Cross is 132.5 and road hubs are easier to get in and out. I have run both though and the mountain hubs just require a slight spread to get the hubs inside the dropouts. If you have a rack it gets a little more difficult since the rack is also squeezing things together back there. Not a show stopper, but something to consider. Have fun and post up pics of the finished product.
Old 03-09-13, 08:50 AM
slowride454

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of the bike paths are clear, but more snow is in the forecast. I've gotten to ride outdoors twice this month.

Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever
That will be a sharp looking ride.

BTW has the snow melted enough to commute yet. I spend a week per month in Appleton/Neenah. What a great flat area to ride bike...
Old 03-09-13, 08:53 AM
slowride454

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered everything but the fork from Universal Cycles. Thanks for the coupon code, it helped out a bunch. I got SRAM X7 mountain hubs so I will have to muscle the wheels on and off. I will post many pics of the finished product. I might do a build thread to show the whole process, just for fun.

Originally Posted by xB_Nutt
Nice. Did you order from Universal Cycles? Good luck with the build and let me know if you have any questions about building it up. Did you get road or mountain hubs? The rear spacing on the Double Cross is 132.5 and road hubs are easier to get in and out. I have run both though and the mountain hubs just require a slight spread to get the hubs inside the dropouts. If you have a rack it gets a little more difficult since the rack is also squeezing things together back there. Not a show stopper, but something to consider. Have fun and post up pics of the finished product.