Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a Handsome Devil bicycle?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 07:44 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts

I think I've finally found the economical steel frame I've been looking for and it's the Handsome Devil. Does anyone have a photo of the 55cm version where you can state how many cm the top of the saddle is from the middle of the crankset? I'm trying to figure out how much seatpost will be showing on a 55 with the saddle set at 75cm. It's mainly an aesthetics thing that I'd like to resolve before I look at purchasing a frame.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-13, 07:24 AM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a 55, but a 58 running 78 cm seat top to center of bb which should give you a good idea. I do not own it anymore. It was too heavy (steel fork) and slow handling for my tastes. Looked nice though!

Last edited by xB_Nutt; 03-09-13 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-09-13, 09:21 AM
corwin1968

Thank! I'm glad I found someone who owned one!

Wasn't that one a special edition model? How did it differ from the standard "Devil"?

Your comments concern me because I'm wanting to upgrade from a bike that I feel is too slow handling. My bike is cro-moly but with a much slacker head tube angle than the Devil. This leads me to expect the Devil, with it's 73/73 head/seat tube angles to be quicker handling.

My bike is pretty darn close to a Double Cross in it's geometry so how did the Devil handle compared to the DC?

My goal is to build up a flat-bar bike that is more on the "nimble" side of things rather than on the "stable" side. Something closer to a road sport than a tourer but I want cro-moly.
Old 03-10-13, 04:55 PM
xB_Nutt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xB_Nutt
Love it. Very smooth and nimble ride. Build quality is exceptional at this price point. The Tange Prestige steel is lighter and stiffer than plain jane 4130 chromoly steel. My only gripe is the top tube brake cable stops for running cantis. I'm not, so they kind of spoil the clean lines and can catch on clothing sometimes. All in all, it is a great all around commuter, light tourer, dirt path, even cyclocross if you so desire.
Above quote is from another thread where I was talking about my Soma. I'd venture to say that you are not going to like the Devil if "nimble" is your goal. Something lighter with a carbon fork would probably suit you better.
Old 03-10-13, 05:04 PM
xB_Nutt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by corwin1968
Thank! I'm glad I found someone who owned one!

Wasn't that one a special edition model? How did it differ from the standard "Devil"?

Your comments concern me because I'm wanting to upgrade from a bike that I feel is too slow handling. My bike is cro-moly but with a much slacker head tube angle than the Devil. This leads me to expect the Devil, with it's 73/73 head/seat tube angles to be quicker handling.

My bike is pretty darn close to a Double Cross in it's geometry so how did the Devil handle compared to the DC?

My goal is to build up a flat-bar bike that is more on the "nimble" side of things rather than on the "stable" side. Something closer to a road sport than a tourer but I want cro-moly.
Just realized that I didn't specifically answer your questions.

The Devil I had was just a special paint job, nothing else different. The Devil just felt slower, like harder to get up to speed that the DC. DC feels like the power is being transfered better from rider to the bike. Hard to explain. I actually never compared the geometry of the 2 bikes. Maybe my fork has less rake on the DC? That is another factor to consider between your old bike a new one.
Old 03-10-13, 06:00 PM
corwin1968

xB_Nutt,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Basically, I've got a 1995 Trek 730 Multitrack and I pretty much like everything about it except the amount of trail it has (74mm, stock). I've got an aftermarket fork that drops the trail to 65mm but it's UGLY. I've been looking for a steel frame with a very specific set of characteristics and the Devil is literally the first frame in over a year of searching that has those qualities.

My specific goal is to have a more "nimble" bike but the qualifier is that I weigh about 380 lbs. Many people advise me to get a touring bike but based on my riding style, I believe that would be a horribly disappointing mis-match for me. So, I'm having to compromise between a bike that is rugged & durable, yet retains some agility.

I can get to my goal in two immediate ways:

1) Buy a Handsome Devil. The geometry is spot-on but I know nothing about the tubing and I'm concerned that it could be detrimental to handling. Your experiences with the Devil seem to validate that possiblity.

2) Have a custom high rake fork built for my current bike then get it all powdercoated. My bike is made of what I believe to be decent steel (True Temper OX).

The cost of each option would end up being similar but I would taking a chance on the Devil whereas I know I really like the ride of my bike with the current "UGLY" higher trail fork.

Again, thanks for responding. I am definately going to hold off on buying a Devil until I can get more information on it and/or other frames (Cross Check, Double Cross).
Old 03-11-13, 03:54 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't answer any of your questions specifically, but Handsome just opened a retail store a couple of blocks from my office. Stopped in there at lunch today. Wow, it's beautiful. Really nice stuff and great guys working there. I think at the moment they have time, just send them an email. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out.

Big problem though. I spotted my N+1 in there "The shop bike" Artcrank edition complete. You buy one and they donate a complete bike to a community in Africa, and you get the tax write off to boot! I don't need it but I want it.
Old 03-11-13, 08:24 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too bad that frame didn't work out xB_Nutt. I still stink that's one of the coolest looking factory frames I have seen in a long time.
Old 03-12-13, 02:32 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
I think I've finally found the economical steel frame I've been looking for and it's the Handsome Devil. Does anyone have a photo of the 55cm version where you can state how many cm the top of the saddle is from the middle of the crankset? I'm trying to figure out how much seatpost will be showing on a 55 with the saddle set at 75cm. It's mainly an aesthetics thing that I'd like to resolve before I look at purchasing a frame.

Thanks!
This is a really bad approach to buying a bicycle. You should buy the frame size that properly fits your body and then adjust the saddle height without concern if it is stylish enough. The only real concern on the seat post should be if it exceeds maximum extension.
Old 03-12-13, 01:05 PM
corwin1968

I e-mailed Handsome and got an immediate response from Ben. The 55cm Devil frame is 3 oz heavier than a 56cm Cross Check and a full 14.6 oz heavier than a 54cm Double Cross so the difference you noted may well have been attributable to the weight difference. All weights are minus the fork, which I assume are similar in weight given the same steerer tube length.

I weigh 380 lbs so the obviously heavier tubing of the CC & the Devil probably are beneficial to me and since I greatly prefer the geometry of the Devil, it's just moved to the top of the list.

Also, I have no idea how much the frame of my Trek Multitrack weighs but I would be surprised if it's any lighter than a Cross Check.

Last edited by corwin1968; 03-12-13 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 11:17 AM
PDX_Mike

Bikes: Bullitt, Handsome Devil, Peacock Groove Mountain Bike,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if you are still looking, but I have a 58 Devil and have been loving it. The other posters are correct in that it is not a scalpel in the handling department but certainly gets it done in the city, gravel, and anywhere you want to take it. I started with their stock complete and have converted it to a road drop bar 1x8, then a gravel grinder and now a quick fendered single speed. I love it and want another one.
Old 10-28-13, 12:00 PM
corwin1968

Originally Posted by PDX_Mike
Not sure if you are still looking, but I have a 58 Devil and have been loving it. The other posters are correct in that it is not a scalpel in the handling department but certainly gets it done in the city, gravel, and anywhere you want to take it. I started with their stock complete and have converted it to a road drop bar 1x8, then a gravel grinder and now a quick fendered single speed. I love it and want another one.
Mike,

Thanks for responding. I did get a frameset back in March and finally got the last parts to have it built up in May. It is a sweet riding bike but lately I find my interests veering more and more to actual single-track. My plan is to take the Devil and maybe an older bike to a beginner trail and see how I like it. If the MTB thing is something I'll like I will probably start looking at something more along the Surly Ogre/Salsa Fargo lines for an all-rounder. For a city bike, the Devil is hard to beat!

Here's how mine is set up:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 10-28-13, 12:46 PM
PDX_Mike

Bikes: Bullitt, Handsome Devil, Peacock Groove Mountain Bike,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Throw some fat tires on it and give it a whirl in the woods. I think you can fit 42s or something on there.
Old 01-12-14, 08:47 PM
singlespeedtwin

Bikes: Karate monkey handsome devil bike Friday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Devil and it can do everything I want/need. A fun and versatile steel bike!
Old 01-12-14, 09:50 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
PS, that bike pictured above in the second post is a Twin Six / Handsome collaboration. I was real, real tempted to get one...